Willis bought a house

Been in the house, for reasons I won't identify. Nice place, but I think it's odd he bought the cheapest one on the cul-de-sac (one was sold for close to 2 MIL)!!! I actually posted this news in a WM post yesterday and said now everyone can overanalyze it.

589496[/snapback]

You do know his contract is incentive based...right??

I wouldn't be cashing those checks just yet either.

Good business decision by Willis. Fix it up a bit and your house can appraise higher with the more expensive sales on the street. Never buy the most expensive house on the street. It becomes harder to find comps when it's time to sell the house.

589552[/snapback]

You don't "fix up" a $720,000 home that's BRAND NEW and you're the first owner. It is what it is. Is has a home theater, massive kitchen, an office (I doubt Mr. 12 on his Wonderlic will be putting books on those shelves), monster 1st floor master. So it can't be fixed up.

So the person who did buy the most expensive house on the a street made a mistake? Yeah, that makes sense. I hope you're not a real estate agent, developer, urban planner or financial analyst!

You don't "fix up" a $720,000 home that's BRAND NEW and you're the first owner. It is what it is. Is has a home theater, massive kitchen, an office (I doubt Mr. 12 on his Wonderlic will be putting books on those shelves), monster 1st floor master. So it can't be fixed up.

So the person who did buy the most expensive house on the a street made a mistake? Yeah, that makes sense. I hope you're not a real estate agent, developer, urban planner or financial analyst!

594417[/snapback]

Heh Mr. Wonderlick ! Who pissed in your corn flakes ? And yes you can improve the value of a brand new house ! You can add hardscape, landscape, remodel the kitchen and baths with granite, or more add square footage to the house. And yes the most expensive house on the street is the hardest to sell and appraise. And yes I am a real estate professional ! I appraise houses, invest and develop real estate.

And yes you can improve the value of a brand new house ! You can add hardscape, landscape, remodel the kitchen and baths with granite, or more add square footage to the house.

594593[/snapback]

Hmm, I'm kinda guessing that at $720K, dude is getting granite kitchen countertops (BTW, if u deal in real estate in SD, $720K here is probably 1.5 million in SD, depending on location).

Hmmm, adding more square footage now would be stupid.....much cheaper to do it during the building process itself, rather than after the thing is already built! Plus that way it is rolled into a 30 year mortgage. Are u really a real estate guy, or are you just being silly?

:blush:

Heh Mr. Wonderlick ! Who pissed in your corn flakes ? And yes you can improve the value of a brand new house ! You can add hardscape, landscape, remodel the kitchen and baths with granite, or more add square footage to the house. And yes the most expensive house on the street is the hardest to sell and appraise. And yes I am a real estate professional !  I appraise houses, invest and develop real estate.

594593[/snapback]

:blush::blush::doh:

Hmm, I'm kinda guessing that at $720K, dude is getting granite kitchen countertops (BTW, if u deal in real estate in SD, $720K here is probably 1.5 million in SD, depending on location). 

Hmmm, adding more square footage now would be stupid.....much cheaper to do it during the building process itself, rather than after the thing is already built!  Plus that way it is rolled into a 30 year mortgage.  Are u really a real estate guy, or are you just being silly?

:blush:

594647[/snapback]

Maybe real estate works different in Buffalo, but everything I'm saying works fine in San Diego. The cheapest crap house fixer upper in San Diego starts at 500,000. So buying a house in San Diego at 720K can use a lot of work.

Are you saying that no one adds square footage to a house in Buffalo after the fact ? Or are you just being silly ? Besides, no one has said that the house Willis bought is new or 30 years old ? I'm assuming it's older since it's been speculated that it is the cheapest house on the street and I'm assuming others have been bought and improved upon making them more valuable over time.

Also I'm tired off being insulted for making a few assumptions about this house and my professionalism just you because you knuckle draggers don't fully understand how real estate really works. Believe it or not, people buy houses, fix them up by improving them and sell them for a profit. I do it all the time. It's one of the ways I make a living.

Sorry Snakeoiler and Zonabb, Fan in San Diego is right. Even if it's a brand new house, you can do a lot of upgrades. In fact, more often than not it's cheaper to upgrade on many items than it is to have the builder do it. I know, I did it when I bought a brand new $600k home.

Snakeoiler, I do see your point about rolling it into a 30yr. It is a way to pay for it later. In most instances however, that's a losing strategy when it comes to finances. My money says you probably have a fair amount of credit card debt.

In addition, some houses are actually built so that you can expand the square footage with minimal effort. For example, builders will sometimes leave dead space over a garage which you can later build out to a bonus room.

Oh yeah, it is smarter and a very well known strategy to buy the cheapest house on the block.

Fan in San Diego speaks the truth.

Hmmm, adding more square footage now would be stupid.....much cheaper to do it during the building process itself, rather than after the thing is already built!  Plus that way it is rolled into a 30 year mortgage.  Are u really a real estate guy, or are you just being silly?

:lol:

594647[/snapback]

More than half of the people in Spaulding Lakes (Clarence, NY) or Eagle Heights (OP) don't even know what the word mortgage means

:doh:

Sorry Snakeoiler and Zonabb, Fan in San Diego is right.  Even if it's a brand new house, you can do a lot of upgrades.  In fact, more often than not it's cheaper to upgrade on many items than it is to have the builder do it.  I know, I did it when I bought a brand new $600k home.

Snakeoiler, I do see your point about rolling it into a 30yr.  It is a way to pay for it later.  In most instances however, that's a losing strategy when it comes to finances.  My money says you probably have a fair amount of credit card debt.

In addition, some houses are actually built so that you can expand the square footage with minimal effort.  For example, builders will sometimes leave dead space over a garage which you can later build out to a bonus room.

Oh yeah, it is smarter and a very well known strategy to buy the cheapest house on the block.

Fan in San Diego speaks the truth.

594980[/snapback]

I am guessing you aren't familiar with the WNY real estate market. What you are saying may be true, but does not apply to the OP area. So San Diego may speak the truth, but it isw not the truth here.

As an FYI, willis' house is a new build, and was part of the annual homeshow where builders show off their top of the line work. If u haven't been, it is a pretty big event, there is an admission fee and buses are brought in to transport people from offsite parking. They take an entire street or two, and each builder builds one of their best homes...and it comes fully decorated, landscaped, etc. They have local painters, interior designers, landscapers, furniture stores, home theatre companies, etc. do them up also to get customers.

I went to it this year, so i must have gone into Willis' house -- trust me, they are all complete with top shelf options . I also recently completed building a new home in OP not far from #21's place. I went with a competitor of the builder of willis' pad, so i am pretty up to speed on what's available in the area and how the dealio works. I totally agree that it can be cheaper to do some upgrades yourself, rather than have the builder do it up front. I did the same thing. But for $720k, and a builder's model, trust me he has granite (or other top shelf) counter tops, built in viking ranges, etc. I know what $720K gets u in OP on a new build. I know the models, options, and associated costs each builder offers.

Here is a link to the home across the street from willis, also part of the home show. Most all of these homes had finished basements, some with home theatres, sports bars, etc. They also had the landscaping done.

http://www.buffaloniagarahomes.com/propert...rch=NO&src=hfe#

Here is another on the same street:

http://www.buffaloniagarahomes.com/propert...rch=NO&src=hfe#

and here is the description:

JUST COMPLETED 2005 HORIZON SHOW HOME! EXPERIENCE THE RICH FEELING OF THE ARTS & CRAFTS INSPIRED HOM E! LAVISH TRIM, RICH HRDWD & CERAMIC FLRS, ENTERTAINMENT SIZED DR, BTLRS PANTRY, FORMAL LR, PRIVATE STUDY & GREAT RM SHARE FP, CUSTOM HIGH END CABINETS IN KIT W/GRANITE TOPS, WALKIN PANTRY, DINETTE OP ENS TO 3 SEASON RM, MUDRM W/2 CLOSETS & BENCH, SEP LAUNDRY, CUSTOM MESSAGE CENTER ON 1ST FLR (COMPUT ER NICHE ON 2ND FLR) MSTR SUITE W/ HIS/HER 2 SEASON CLOSETS, MSTR BTH W/WHIRLPOOL & BODY SPRAY SHOWE R, LRG BDRMS W/ WALK-INS, DAYLIGHT BSMT, EXTENSIVE LANDSCAPING. HRV-FRESH AIR HOME!

here is another in the same price range in OP:

http://www.buffaloniagarahomes.com/propert...arch=NO&src=hfe

I see your point about dead space over the garage, etc. which does makes sense....but not in this case. His house is done -- landscaping, interior design, paint, the whole works. He may add a home theatre, and/or finished basement if it's not already included.

ALso, rolling the costs into a mortgage can be attractive, and makes sense -- the downside on a new build is that it goes on top of the closing price...and hence your assesment...therefore u pay property taxes on it. So u do have to be careful about that.

And your assumptions about me, by the way, would be incorrect. I have ZERO credit card debt, all vehicles paid off, no student loans. Fortunately the wife is an MBA and CPA with a prominent position in banking, so i am able to rely significantly on her, while i go out an put my doctorate degree to good use.

You and San Diego speak the truth, but it doesn't apply here....

Maybe real estate works different in Buffalo, but everything I'm saying works fine in San Diego. The cheapest crap house fixer upper in San Diego starts at 500,000. So buying a house in San Diego at 720K can use a lot of work.

594953[/snapback]

Yeah, Buffalo lives under different rules. For $720K you can buy 3 beautiful houses that need nothing and park a new Benz in the driveway of each to boot. In fifteen years you'll be lucky to get that $720,000 back, and the Benzes will have taken a shot, too. My example 1600 sq. ft in Tonawanda, $79,000 in 1992. Today, $75,500. Taxes have gone up 40%, though.