NFL Network to air regular season games...

agilen

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2309549

The NFL network is in so few homes, they have to be nuts. Cable companies move incredibly slowly when adding channels...I would imagine that the NFL is using this to make sure that their network gets picked up by as many providers as they can, but in the meantime, this is gonna screw a lot of people out of being able to watch their teams play.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL network is in so few homes, they have to be nuts.  Cable companies move incredibly slowly when adding channels...I would imagine that the NFL is using this to make sure that their network gets picked up by as many providers as they can, but in the meantime, this is gonna screw a lot of people out of being able to watch their teams play.

586745[/snapback]

The news story says that the games will be shown on local TV for local teams. Sounds like the way they handle it when a team is on ESPN.

(G. Host is quicker than I am apparently...)

The NFL network is in so few homes, they have to be nuts.  Cable companies move incredibly slowly when adding channels...I would imagine that the NFL is using this to make sure that their network gets picked up by as many providers as they can, but in the meantime, this is gonna screw a lot of people out of being able to watch their teams play.

586745[/snapback]

In Buffalo we'd still see them on a local channel. What would bother me if I didn't get NFLN (I do) is the Thanksgiving Day game being shown on NFLN, WAS vs DAL. That would suck.

Crazy like a fox.

586745[/snapback]

That's a mighty big incentive -- once the cable/dish companies' phone lines start melting down thanks to all the calls from football fans, they'll move a little quicker re: adding NFLNetwork. Count on that starting to happen well before the first game of that package airs.

Here's the official release:

NFL NETWORK TO TELEVISE PRIMETIME PACKAGE OF REGULAR SEASON GAMES

EIGHT-GAME THURSDAY/SATURDAY PACKAGE KICKS OFF ON NOVEMBER 23

NFL Network, the NFL’s two-year-old television channel, will begin airing a “run up to the playoffs” package of eight primetime regular season NFL games starting in the 2006 season, Commissioner Paul Tagliabue announced today.

The eight-game package will consist of primetime games airing from Thanksgiving to the end of the regular season on Thursday and/or Saturday nights. The inaugural game of the package is scheduled for Thanksgiving night on Thursday, November 23 as part of a new Thanksgiving Day tripleheader. Games telecast on NFL Network will include pregame and postgame shows.

“After discussing this new package of games with many potential partners, we decided it would be best presented on our own, high-quality NFL Network, which has developed so rapidly that the time had come to add live regular season games to the programming,” Commissioner Tagliabue said. “In the end, we wanted these games on our Network, which is devoted 24/7 to the sport of football, and not on a multi-sport network.”

NFL Network will make all of its games available on free, over-the-air television in the participating team markets, continuing the NFL’s long-standing practice of making all of its games, including the playoffs and Super Bowl, available on free, over-the-air television.

“The NFL has traditionally been at the forefront of innovation and new technology dating back to starting NFL Films in the ‘60s and Pete Rozelle and Roone Arledge creating Monday Night Football in 1970,” said Commissioner Tagliabue. “With NFL Network, we are creating a fresh, innovative programming package that will complement all of our television partners.”

NFL Network’s new eight-game package was created by shifting Saturday and Sunday games from previous arrangements. In November, 2004, CBS and FOX agreed to extend their packages for six more years. NBC and ESPN last April secured rights for six and eight years respectively.

“It was decided after surveying the rapidly evolving media landscape that a year-round channel dedicated to our sport was the best way to continue to develop and serve our fan base,” NFL Network President & CEO Steve Bornstein said. “This is an opportune time to present these games ourselves and develop new ways to deliver the game of football at all levels to sports fans.”

Agreements for all available NFL television packages now are concluded. Following are the rights holders beginning in 2006:

• CBS – AFC Package – Sunday afternoons [1:00 & 4:00 PM ET]

• FOX – NFC Package – Sunday afternoons [1:00 & 4:00 PM ET]

• NBC – Primetime Broadcast Package – Sunday evenings [8:15 PM ET]

• ESPN – Monday Night Football Package – Monday evenings [8:30 PM ET]

• NFL Network – Special Late-Season Package – Thursday and/or Saturday evenings [8:00 PM ET] (beginning Thanksgiving]

• DirecTV – Sunday Ticket Satellite Package [1:00 & 4:00 PM ET]

NFL Network has more than 100 affiliates and is carried in more than 40 million homes in North America, including the top three distributors in the U.S. Launched in November, 2003, NFL Network was the most widely distributed sports network when it kicked off; became the youngest sports network to win an Emmy; and became the first network ever to reach the 20 million subscriber mark in its first year. To learn more, please log onto www.nfl.com/nflnetwork. # # #

Link

If you guys can believe this, Charter pissed off the NFL apparently and they PULLED the channel from my cable....I am so fuggin PISSED.

Crazy like a fox.

That's a mighty big incentive -- once the cable/dish companies' phone lines start melting down thanks to all the calls from football fans, they'll move a little quicker re: adding NFLNetwork. Count on that starting to happen well before the first game of that package airs.

586761[/snapback]

Time Warner better hurry their ass up! I don't want to miss the Thanksgiving game. :doh:

Time Warner better hurry their ass up!  I don't want to miss the Thanksgiving game.  :doh:

586785[/snapback]

Put their customer service number in your autodial, and bug the crap out of them for the next ten months (or however long it takes). And tell all your friends to do the same, if they don't want to miss the Thanksgiving game either...

Put their customer service number in your autodial, and bug the crap out of them for the next ten months (or however long it takes). And tell all your friends to do the same, if they don't want to miss the Thanksgiving game either...

586788[/snapback]

Good idea :doh:

We only get around 50 channels from our cable company, but when I saw the commercial for the NFL Network to call my cable provider. I called every week for 2 months. Finally, 3 weeks after I quit calling they notified me that they would start carrying it 2 weeks later. They did, and I have loved it. But as far as games on cable networks, you would think they would be able to continue to make more money off of big giants like Fox and CBS.

... But as far as games on cable networks, you would think they would be able to continue to make more money off of big giants like Fox and CBS.

586791[/snapback]

Short-term, I'd agree. But if giving up some $$$ on the front end helps force their network into 50 million more homes? Not just the contracts they'll be signing with cable/dish providers. Think of what their rate card will look like for those games... with all the money coming straight back to the league.

The Dean knows a heck of a lot more about this than I do. I'll be curious to hear his take...

Seriously.  Can you imagine if all of non-satellite Manhattan can't watch the Thursday and Saturday games?  All of that money left on the table...

586803[/snapback]

EXACTLY! This move should make both Time Warner AND the NFL want to hurry up and get a deal done. That's a lot of money to be left on the table.

The problem with the ESPN games is that, yes in Buffalo they will show them on a local station usually channel 7 since thats is ABC. But here in Rochester, we're not considered the flag ship market, so local station doesn't pick it up. So if you don't get ESPN, you're out of luck to watch the Bill's game.

That is one thing that really pisses me off about the NFL's rules regarding broadcast. When it comes to an ESPN game, we're not the flag ship so we don't count. But if the game doesn't sell out, we're still in the backout zone. As far as I'm concerned, the NFL can't have it both ways. Probably if someone wanted to sue, may be over turned but not likelyt to happen??

One thing I do concider totally unfair though.

The news story says that the games will be shown on local TV for local teams. Sounds like the way they handle it when a team is on ESPN.

(G. Host is quicker than I am apparently...)

586752[/snapback]

Actually rather than this being the NFL trading off immediate cash for long term cash I think this actually creates a no lose situation for the NFL.

Either the broadcast nets will pay through the nose for the NFL in the next contract round or the NFL has a credible threat that they will move the majority or all of the games to cable.

Since local station will buy the rights to games, the NFL will not miss the chance to reach. profit from, or advertise to local fans unwilling or unable to pay for cable (actually basic cable-TV is classified the same as a utility like phone or electric in Buffalo public housing).

This strikes me as as an intelligent business move for the NFL.

586745[/snapback]

Why? If ya have DTV and sunday ticket ya never miss a game!!!