Lionel Gates

Anyone think that Lionel Gates needs to get a shot at carring the rock somemore this coming season. 

Perhaps take the starting job from McGahee?

586426[/snapback]

Maybe

and No

I don't think he needs to start, no....but I'm really interested to see him get some carries. I really liked what I saw of him last preseason. The guy has a good combination of power and burst.

He has to make the team 1st, before anyone worries how many carries he gets. A 7th round pick who was inactive for almost every game (I think he was active for 1 or 2 at most) has some serious improvement to make before he can get some carries. Either that or the last coaching staff was a bunch of idiots.

Anyone think that Lionel Gates needs to get a shot at carring the rock some more this coming season. 

586426[/snapback]

I believe Mularkey made some comments last year that Gates wasn't able to block effectively, especially in picking up the blitz. I would like to have seen some real game experience for this rook last year.

Gates is similar in size, power and style to McGahee. Williams is good as a change of pace to McGahee, but I would hate to see Williams carrying the load for 16+ games if McGahee were to get hurt. Hopefully if blitz protection was Gates problem they'll be able to coach him up and we'll get a chance to see him perform this year.

That being said I hope McGahee gets the ants out of his pants and stops the dancing around and just hits the holes. Then there will be no more talk of Gates beating out McGahee for the starting spot. A better OL will also help.

Roger the point about Gates not picking up the blitz effectively. I'd imagine that, if he does make the team, he'd have to beat Shaud in blocking effectiveness. The O-Line's improvement can cover just so much on 3rd downs...

Perhaps they would have liked to gotten Gates some playing time last season, but because of the limit as to the # of players you can suit for any game, injuries/deficiencies at other positions, and the tendencies of your opponent, some players just end up sitting.

I hope he has a good camp.

Perhaps they would have liked to gotten Gates some playing time last season, but because of the limit as to the # of players you can suit for any game, injuries/deficiencies at other positions, and the tendencies of your opponent, some players just end up sitting.

I hope he has a good camp.

586714[/snapback]

At a minimum, I hope he gets more visibility in camp. At this point we have no idea why he never got any time... situational? or lack of talent?

He has to make the team 1st, before anyone worries how many carries he gets.  A 7th round pick who was inactive for almost every game (I think he was active for 1 or 2 at most) has some serious improvement to make before he can get some carries.  Either that or the last coaching staff was a bunch of idiots.

586497[/snapback]

"Either that or the last coaching staff was a bunch of idiots".

Considering that the head coach was a former tight end and couldn't figure out a way to involve ours in the gameplan???

I thought we'd reached consensus on this issue :doh:

That's right.  Bills Nation loses its woodie every time a fancy first rounder gets out-performed.

Lionel Gates should not be given the opportunity to win a starting job.

586712[/snapback]

Dunno quite what your point is. I never said that he shouldn't get the chance. I'm saying he will not be the Bills starting back.

i would hope that gates gets more action marv did get a chance to see him in the preseason so hopefully he lets him get action and hopefully us as fans will get to see hoim in the reg season this year

i thought there were plenty of times he wouldve come in handy this past season

Anyone think that Lionel Gates needs to get a shot at carring the rock somemore this coming season. 

586426[/snapback]

I don't know about the McGahee part, but I think the 2005 season was a complete WASTE for Gates. He should have been on the field or else why did he make the roster???

Dunno quite what your point is.  I never said that he shouldn't get the chance.  I'm saying he will not be the Bills starting back.

586984[/snapback]

Willis needs to be the feature back this year including third down back. He needs 30+ touches in a game. We need to have a run-the-ball identity in Jauron's first year. What is more important than Gates or Williams as backup is the O-Line!! What's our O-Line going to look like. Any new starters this year? I hope so. Our O-Line sucks. It can not protect the passer and it can not open up the holes for the running game. Did anyone see the Seahawk O-Line in the Seahawk-Panthers game last week. Now there is an O-Line !!

That's right.  Bills Nation loses its woodie every time a fancy first rounder gets out-performed.

Lionel Gates should not be given the opportunity to win a starting job.

586712[/snapback]

Everyone should get a opportunity to win a starting job. Just because you were drafted in a later round doesn't mean you can't be a starter, and if he is better then Willis, he should start.

i'm not saying we should be throwing him in as a starter at the begining of the season, but if he out performs in practise or the pre-season, he should atleast get the chance