Lionel Gates

Willis needs to be the feature back this year including third down back.  He needs 30+ touches in a game.  We need to have a run-the-ball identity in Jauron's first year.  What is more important than Gates or Williams as backup is the O-Line!!  What's our O-Line going to look like.  Any new starters this year?  I hope so.  Our O-Line sucks.  It can not protect the passer and it can not open up the holes for the running game.  Did anyone see the Seahawk O-Line in the Seahawk-Panthers game last week.  Now there is an O-Line !!

587032[/snapback]

This is a strange thread...how did I get caught in this clusterfu#k? :doh: (This is not directed toward you, gut...just the whole freakin' premise of the thread.) I ususally try to go out of my way not to get invloved in things this stupid.

With that said, I agree with you 100%. Willis doesn't need another back taking his reps. He's the kind of back who needs 25-35 a game. The suggestion by some on This Wall that we get another back to take some of carries is just plain, dumb, IMO.

Should there be a competition for the positiion. Of course, there should be...every position...every year. That goes without saying, IMO. Of course, what consitutes a "competition" for one position may be different for another position. I think we all know Willis is the starter next year. I mean, is there really ANY question of that? But, if someone seriously steps up in camp and pre-season and makes everyone go, "WTF?"...If someone kicks some serious ass...well??? Bring it on.

With that said, Willis is most likely to be the man. BUT, even if we take THAT for granted...s#it happens. RB's get hurt...RB's miss games...RBs need the occasional break. So we need another stud RB...or one who can play the part, if necessary. It's much easier to play that role if you have a good supporting cast. (The teams with great OLs seem to be the teams that have two great backs. The teams with the great OLs are the teams that make it through RB [and QB] injuries.)

So...the competition is open. Step up and take the starting job from Willis. But, take it or not (NOT) this team need a back other than Willis who can:

Be the Man

Be the Man for a while if the Man goes down.

Give The Man a break and be The Man for those plays.

However, it would be REALLY stupid to draft a back in the first round...or the second round (unless a Wills, or Thurman, situation arises).