Prague, Czech Republic

I'm heading there in March to visit one of my best friends who moved over there last summer. I'm pretty pumped about it, just from what I've read and what my friend has told me. It is supposedly one of Europe's up-and-coming cities but has retained it's "Old World" charm. And from what I hear, the girls are rediculous. I will be travelling there with two other friends from here, and my girlfriend is not thrilled about this excursion. Is sex on a different continent considered cheating??? What if I pay for it??? :)

My friend has been there and back many times (he studied there in college, and his girlfriend of six years is from there) and he decided to move to Prague full-time last summer, so I'm all set with lodging and fun things to do. I'm just looking for people's overall opinion if you have been there before.

Haven't you always paid for it? Ohh..wait a minute..the summer you and Larry tended sheep on Brokeback!

I spent last year in Ukraine but most of my ex-pat friends insisted that Prague was the best of cities, although getting to be very touristy. The sights are to behold. Don't know about the women there, but if they are half as pretty as the ones in Kiev they will beat anything you will find on this continent (outside of Tennessee, that is.).

I'm heading there in March to visit one of my best friends who moved over there last summer.  I'm pretty pumped about it, just from what I've read and what my friend has told me.  It is supposedly one of Europe's up-and-coming cities but has retained it's "Old World" charm.  And from what I hear, the girls are rediculous.  I will be travelling there with two other friends from here, and my girlfriend is not thrilled about this excursion.  Is sex on a different continent considered cheating???  What if I pay for it??? :)

My friend has been there and back many times (he studied there in college, and his girlfriend of six years is from there) and he decided to move to Prague full-time last summer, so I'm all set with lodging and fun things to do.  I'm just looking for people's overall opinion if you have been there before.

584651[/snapback]

PM Tennyboy. He just got back from there recently.

Ooops, here he is.

Edited by erynthered

Haven't you always paid for it?  Ohh..wait a minute..the summer you and Larry tended sheep on Brokeback!

I spent last year in Ukraine but most of my ex-pat friends insisted that Prague was the best of cities, although getting to be very touristy.  The sights are to behold.  Don't know about the women there, but if they are half as pretty as the ones in Kiev they will beat anything you will find on this continent (outside of Tennessee, that is.).

584667[/snapback]

I'll be there for eight days, so we are looking at about four in Prague/elsewhere in Czech and another four bouncing around Eastern Europe. I've heard good things about Budapest in Hungary and Brasov and Bucharest in Romania.

Lots of fun. People are really nice to you there, for the most part. Things were very inexpensive while we were there. The clubs tended to play cheezy 80's music while we were there, so that was a bit wierd.

My advice....be VERY carefull about who you go with there. There is (or was, I was there in 1998) a large contingent of gyp women there that will lead you into ambush. My friend from Slovenia was carjacked by a few. Use caution.

And go see the clocktower while you are there. Very cool...

I'll be there for eight days, so we are looking at about four in Prague/elsewhere in Czech and another four bouncing around Eastern Europe.  I've heard good things about Budapest in Hungary and Brasov and Bucharest in Romania.

584694[/snapback]

My favorite city, not too far from the polish border is Lviv or Lvov (russian or ukrainian spelling). Fascinating Ukrainian city and hardly any tourists. Vinnitsa and some other Baltic cities in Belarus are supposed to be great. I'm going back to Eastern Europe as a Senior Fulbright Scholar (hmmmm...too many things I'm involved in these days have "senior" attached to them.) in September and October and am hoping to spend a day or two in Prague on my way in or on my way out.

Prague or at least the parts I have seen was abosultely awesome. Parts of the city are quite modern , with lots of old world architecture. Same as Budapest. Just be aware that certain things we take for granted here , like Hot water , clean modern bathrooms , air conditioning , vary widely in their availability and function so you can easily feel disoriented over a period of time. Sort of like long term RV living. If you get the chance though well worth the experience. I will be back in the Czeck republic for a short tiime later this year.

I was there in 1992 and have heard it's quite a bit more westernized now, although still less expensive than, say, Vienna.

And the reason you go there instead of Paris is because it costs a whole hell of a lot less... although I'd rather see Jim Morrison's grave than Kafka's.

I really, really liked Prague. Gorgeous city. Liked it better than Budapest. Definitely try to see Krakow, though.

Prague is awesome! One of the coolest bars I have ever been (and I have been to quite a few!) is the one next to the Golden Sickle hostel. You absolutely must check this place out! You walk in and the bar looks small- then you walk in back and there is stairs- you go down and there is a big bar- more stairs under- another big bar- some tunnels- leading to more bars-more stairs and more bars- you end up going 5 or 6 storys underground with 20 bars or so. Take a bus Kutna Hora too and see the ossuary. Also you must also travel to Cesky Krumlow- the most beautiful town in Czech Republic. Czech girls are some of the most beautiful in the world and quite friendly. Nazdrave!

I also think Paris is overrated in its beauty- I think Prague is much prettier

Czech beer is excellent- indulge! Drink lots of Absinthe too!

Check out a musical while you are there and stock up on art too- world class and very affordable

Check out the museum of communism- it really explains Czechs history and what happened on Nov 17, 1989

Learn who Jan Palach is and his significance to Czech republic.

Learn the words Dobre Dein, Deiku, Proseem

St Charles bridge is a must

Check out the John Lennon wall- the ultimate in passive resistance

Check out a Czech hockey game- they are hockey fanatics

As far as costs go Prague is not the bargain it was- go way outside touristy areas and prices are much cheaper and the experience is more pure

I have alot more suggestions- PM me if you need any more info