Takeo Spikes ..... will he ever come back?

torn achilles is a devastating injury that as far as i can tell usually ends a players or career or at least slows them considerably. lawrence was slowed considerably and retired a year after coming back at the age of 33. and yesterday we learned that former bills TE riemersma is retiring due to the injury too. anyone have a good handle on usually happens, examples of careers it ended or shortened and examples of players that came all the way back? i'd obviously love it for takeo to come back 100%, but i wonder if we're all being a bit dilusional by not focusing on the real potential for a new OLB to replace him.

Kind of a cliched answer, but we'll just have to wait and see.  Unfortunately I think at a minimum he will have lost some of his explosiveness.

583918[/snapback]

yeah feel bad for the guy but i hope the bills are planning for life without him. with so much focus on the O & D lines, OLB could be an oversight. but with spikes more than likely (it seems) not the same player and posey not resigned (he never really did much), this position suddenly becomes a real problem for the bills.

torn achilles is a devastating injury that as far as i can tell usually ends a players or career or at least slows them considerably.  lawrence was slowed considerably and retired a year after coming back at the age of 33.  and yesterday we learned that former bills TE riemersma is retiring due to the injury too.  anyone have a good handle on usually happens, examples of careers it ended or shortened and examples of players that came all the way back?  i'd obviously love it for takeo to come back 100%, but i wonder if we're all being a bit dilusional by not focusing on the real potential for a new OLB to replace him.

583891[/snapback]

AFter reading this/........it does make AJ Hawk (if available @ #8) a real sexy hard to pass pick!

It's a tough injury to come back from. However, if anyone can do it, it's TKO.

There was a feature article on him in one of the major sports magazines and the surgeon was pretty optimistic (I think it was Andrews). TKO is an incredibly determined individual who seems to have great discipline and focus. If he comes all the way back, it will be a great story for a guy who really deserves it.

torn achilles is a devastating injury that as far as i can tell usually ends a players or career or at least slows them considerably.  lawrence was slowed considerably and retired a year after coming back at the age of 33.  and yesterday we learned that former bills TE riemersma is retiring due to the injury too.  anyone have a good handle on usually happens, examples of careers it ended or shortened and examples of players that came all the way back?  i'd obviously love it for takeo to come back 100%, but i wonder if we're all being a bit dilusional by not focusing on the real potential for a new OLB to replace him.

583891[/snapback]

are you related to Jerry Sullivan?? Seems like every post you have is negative....you are definitely an asset to this board!

583891[/snapback]

I think that it is a tough injury to rehab from and most players do lose a little something. That being said, most players do not have the heart and intensity that TKO has. Will be back to 100% of his old self in terms of speed and lateral abilities? Probably not, but I would take him back in a heart beat even if he was just 90% of what he used to be in terms of his lateral explosiveness and speed. I know he'll still have all of his heart.

I think that we will have London in the middle and our outside guys are going to be TKO and Crowell. I think Crowell did an excellent job filing in for TKO and I think he will improve next year. I wouldn't start spending early draft picks on LB this year. Stick to the lineman on day 1 I say.

Anyone who watched the game have seen players who go down with what seems to be a minor injury never come back to play or come back but never be the same despite the thought they would be fine.

However, there are real world examples of folks like Willis McGahee who from every report of the massive knee injurieS he suffered it looked like his career was done and if he ever came back on the field it would more likely be as a waterboy rather than as a player. Yet he made it to 2000 yards rushing faster than any Bill (including Thurman and OJ) ever.

Your fears regarding TKO are real, but to worry about them at this point with no reports of problems in his rehab or no medical word of problems says more about the poster than about the facts of his injury.

Don't get your panties all up in a wad over this for now.

As a Podiatrist: It will depend largely on where the tear occurred along the length of the Achilles. High/ Low- at the muscular-tendinous junction origin, tendon, or tendon-periosteum insertion, or obviously a combination. How much of the fibre was torn- complete rupture or partial? How did the tear occur- transverse plane with many fibres or more disorganised, multiplanar, but with many intact fibre units? Was it a blow-out, or did it occur from a progressive degeneration of the Achilles from many injuries? How scar tissue development occurs and is managed? Surgical correction- did it need additional suturing with say plantaristo trengthen it? So I'd say there was plenty of guessing to go... plenty? Maybe it will be Luck that brings him back, after having the GM sacked and the HC QUIT, it's something the Bills need. B-)

It will depend largely on where the tear occurred along the length of the Achilles. High/ Low- at the muscular-tendinous junction origin, tendon, or tendon-periosteum insertion, or obviously a combination. How much of the fibre was torn- complete rupture or partial? How did the tear occur- transverse plane with many fibres or more disorganised, multiplanar, but with many intact fibre units? Was it a blow-out, or did it occur from a progressive degeneration of the Achilles from many injuries? How scar tissue development occurs and is managed? Surgical correction- did it need additional suturing with say plantaristo trengthen it?

584228[/snapback]

That's exactly what I was going to say!

Good insight Shamrock, thanks for sharing it with us. B-)

As a Podiatrist: It will depend largely on where the tear occurred along the length of the Achilles. High/ Low- at the muscular-tendinous junction origin, tendon, or tendon-periosteum insertion, or obviously a combination. How much of the fibre was torn- complete rupture or partial? How did the tear occur- transverse plane with many fibres or more disorganised, multiplanar, but with many intact fibre units? Was it a blow-out, or did it occur from a progressive degeneration of the Achilles from many injuries? How scar tissue development occurs and is managed? Surgical correction- did it need additional suturing with say plantaristo trengthen it? So I'd say there was plenty of guessing to go... plenty? Maybe it will be Luck that brings him back, after having the GM sacked and the HC QUIT, it's something the Bills need.  B-)

584228[/snapback]

Hey, who let the smart guy in here?? :w00t:

583891[/snapback]

I think we've talked about this earlier. If any guy can come back from this it's Takeo.

583891[/snapback]

2006 comeback player of the year...Takeo Spikes