ESPN news is reporting that Jerry Gray is

D' men

It's good and bad.  Good that we can have a fresh start and bad because he used to be a good DC.  I wonder what happened. :doh:

I mean you got to feel a little sorry for him. :D

583887[/snapback]

Dick LeBeau and his halftime adjustments wizardry left...where did that LeBeau guy end up??? Oh yeah he's in the Super Bowl with a defense that just stopped Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Denver in a row on the road....maybe we kept the wrong guy ya think? :devil:

Dick LeBeau and his halftime adjustments wizardry left...where did that LeBeau guy end up???  Oh yeah he's in the Super Bowl with a defense that just stopped Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Denver in a row on the road....maybe we kept the wrong guy ya think?  :doh:

583919[/snapback]

That kind of negativity will just end in misery.

Accept it. We the Fans are responsible for Jerry Gray's failure here as DC.

Poor guy. His quest to become a HC has been set back years by the cruel and mean 12th man.

Poor guy. His quest to become a HC has been set back years by the cruel and mean 12th man.

583921[/snapback]

Clearly...we the 12th man only sold out 8 home games this year....

wait a minute....

583921[/snapback]

Jerry had a 5 year plan to become a NFL HC when he came to the Bills. Better multiply that by about a factor of 20, Jerry.

Hard to tell if you're being literal or facetious, but we didn't keep the "wrong" guy as much as the "right" guy just wanted to move back home.

583928[/snapback]

I'm being about 60% literal. It isn't a secret where the ideas that work are coming from. It had to be known within the organization. We could have made the move last year but we didn't and LeBeau took a promotion and left, as he should have. If I were him i wouldn't want to be JG's lackey either.

583921[/snapback]

:devil:

Gray won't be missed. He was an average DC - great when he had help (GW and LeBeau in 2003), superior talent (2003 and 2004), easy opponents (2004), and no serious injuries (2004); but otherwise awful (2001, 2002, and 2005). He was just another ex-player turned meathead coach/coordinator who can't compete with the upper tier NFL coaches/coordinators when a game turns into a chess match. His dreams of becoming an NFL head coach probably won't ever be realized.

That said, Gray's still good enough to find employment SOMEWHERE in this league as a DC or DB's coach. So don't feel too bad for him :doh: .

i don't know much, but i swear to god i knew that guy was smoke and mirrors from day one.

583941[/snapback]

From day one at training camp all I saw him do was wear some mean sunglasses and glare. From day one, all I saw Clements do was stand in back of the offensive formation like a pigeon sh-- splattered statue. I'm so glad it's a clean sweep that tears are welling in my eyes.

I'm being about 60% literal.  It isn't a secret where the ideas that work are coming from.  It had to be known within the organization.  We could have made the move last year but we didn't and LeBeau took a promotion and left, as he should have.  If I were him i wouldn't want to be JG's lackey either.

583939[/snapback]

So you thin jauron is going to do better than top 3 in defense in 4 of 5 years huh give me sme of what you have been smoking :doh:

I'm being about 60% literal.  It isn't a secret where the ideas that work are coming from.  It had to be known within the organization.  We could have made the move last year but we didn't and LeBeau took a promotion and left, as he should have.  If I were him i wouldn't want to be JG's lackey either.

583939[/snapback]

He has deep roots in the 'burgh. His wife and other family was living there while coached in Bflo, he had a son (and maybe a daughter) in western PA, and a son in eastern OH. I think his move had less to do with being somebody's lackey and more to do with wanting to be near his family,

But I certainly don't disagree with you that it's fairly obvious that he was the man behind the curtain.

It's good and bad.  Good that we can have a fresh start and bad because he used to be a good DC.  I wonder what happened. :doh:

I mean you got to feel a little sorry for him. :devil:

583887[/snapback]

Why don't you post as billsboys anymore?? I recognized the naive tone and overuse of smilies almost immediately.

So you thin jauron is going to do better than top 3 in defense in 4 of 5 years huh give me sme of what you have been smoking    :doh:

583961[/snapback]

If you honestly beleive that our defense was ACTUALLY one of the best 3 defenses in the league I think you are the one that needs to pass the dutchie my friend.

Our defense was quite possibly the single most overrated thing in football over that time frame. We sucked on 3rd down the whole time. We sucked in big games the whole time. We were NEVER a lights out defense. What difference does it make if your defense shuts down the opposition for an entire game only to give up a killer drive at the end that loses the game? What difference does it make if you have the #2 (ranked) defense and you get LIT UP by the 3rd and 4th string Pittsburgh offense in a game that cost you the playoffs? Seriously BRIAN ST PIERRE looked like Roethlisberger that day.

The REAL #2 defense in the NFL doesn't lose that game...at least not because of the defense.

Here's how much those rankings are worth... in 2002-2004 New England was ranked 23rd, 7th, and 9th while we we ranked 15th, 2nd, and 2nd. Was our defense that much better than New England's? I don't think so.

Here's what i go by Points per game.

Buffalo 2002-2004 24.8, 17.4, 17.8

New England 2002-2004 21.6 14.9, 16.3

In '03 New England was "ranked" 5 spots below us but we gave up almost a field goal a game more than they did. Who was a better defense?

NFL rankings are based on yards and yards are crap. Points win and lose games.

By PPG Buffalo was ranked 27th, 5th, 8th, and then 24th this year. The best year was '03 when Dick leBeau was here

Unfortunately, there is a lot of truth to what was mentioned in this thread. At least under the Donahoe regime. I think he "learned" to make a lot of decisions to please the fans, disregarding what was right or wrong for the team. He learned that very early on when he was practically hung for deciding to send Flutie walking. He stated it was his "Internet persona" who had said weeks earlier the opposite.

As Coach, Marv made the unpopular decision more than once. I expect he will do the same as GM, when he feels it is right for the football team. It will be Brandon's job to market his product and not his own. That was perhaps a flaw in making TD both GM and President, he had to weigh selling tickets with winning games. Marv's job is a little easier, win games, don't worry about trying to make every fan happy. Wins create happy fans - just ask the 80,000 who sold out the Bills consistently in the 90's, even with the "bickering" Bills.

Perhaps not individually, but collectively we deemed ourselves smarter than TD, and then we drove him to make decisions through our comments and questions as well as those of the media. In hindsight it was obvious to see those decisions.

With all these "reunions" of coaches. I wonder if they will bring Dwight Adams back. I would have expected that to already have happened if it were going to. With all the personnel activity, did we even send senior representatives to bowl games to evaluate?

If you honestly beleive that our defense was ACTUALLY one of the best 3 defenses in the league I think you are the one that needs to pass the dutchie my friend.

Our defense was quite possibly the single most overrated thing in football over that time frame.  We sucked on 3rd down the whole time.  We sucked in big games the whole time.  We were NEVER a lights out defense.  What difference does it make if your defense shuts down the opposition for an entire game only to give up a killer drive at the end that loses the game? What difference does it make if you have the #2 (ranked) defense and you get LIT UP by the 3rd and 4th string Pittsburgh offense in a game that cost you the playoffs?  Seriously BRIAN ST PIERRE looked like Roethlisberger that day.

The REAL #2 defense in the NFL doesn't lose that game...at least not because of the defense.

Here's how much those rankings are worth... in 2002-2004 New England was ranked 23rd, 7th, and 9th while we we ranked 15th, 2nd, and 2nd.  Was our defense that much better than New England's?  I don't think so.

Here's what i go by  Points per game. 

Buffalo 2002-2004 24.8, 17.4, 17.8

New England 2002-2004 21.6 14.9, 16.3

In '03 New England was "ranked" 5 spots below us but we gave up almost a field goal a game more than they did.  Who was a better defense? 

NFL rankings are based on yards and yards are crap.  Points win and lose games.

By PPG Buffalo was ranked 27th, 5th, 8th, and then 24th this year.  The best year was '03 when Dick leBeau was here

583989[/snapback]

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding!

We have a winner!

Frankly I think Jauron's going to work out just fine and count me as one of the believers when it comes to him creating a very good defense. Williams' and Gray's obsession with an essentially meaningless title was an indicator that their priorities were skewed. I'll take a high-middle tier ranked defense anyday over a stat-spouting-press-clip-reading-self-aggrandizing-pompous-pretender-led phoney defense.

Give me one that can stop an opponent late in the 4th Quarter from jamming the ball downfield. Gray's defenses had inflated stats because few opposing coaches ever thought they needed to score more than 17 points to beat The Bills. Why air it out when you can count on wearing them down?

Dick LeBeau and his halftime adjustments wizardry left...where did that LeBeau guy end up???  Oh yeah he's in the Super Bowl with a defense that just stopped Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Denver in a row on the road....maybe we kept the wrong guy ya think?  B-)

583919[/snapback]

um ... the bills' d was significantly better after lebeau left. not only were they second again in yards, but first overall in turnovers after being near (or at) the bottom the year before.