I think the 12th man is the problem

Tolstoy

You know what I think? I think that we are so impatient that we do not allow a team to develop properly. We want instant gratification, and when it doesn't come, we carp and carp and carp and carp until there is paranoia in the front office and on the sidelines (how many of you could make sound decisions with this kind of constant rabid impatience and scrutiny?) and everyone gets fired. Then, we start all over again. No immediate results? No immediate wins? Carp and carp and carp and carp. Front office and coach fired (or resigns because of hostility of fans and city).

What is absolutely absurd about this is that this time, we haven't even given the guys a chance. Not one day in office, before we have crucified the coach and hung Marv Levy in effigy.

I think the problem with some cities is that the fans have no patience, and they force owners and GM's to act hastily. Fans can and do cause their own misery. So eat your hearts out Bills fans.

I say, three cheers for Levy and Jauron. Go get 'em fellas. I'll judge you after three full seasons, and while I might criticize here and there, I will never go overboard and start calling for your heads until then.

You know what I think?  I think that we are so impatient that we do not allow a team to develop properly.  We want instant gratification, and when it doesn't come, we carp and carp and carp and carp until there is paranoia in the front office and on the sidelines (how many of you could make sound decisions with this kind of constant rabid impatience and scrutiny?) and everyone gets fired.  Then, we start all over again.  No immediate results?  No immediate wins?  Carp and carp and carp and carp.  Front office and coach fired (or resigns because of hostility of fans and city).

What is absolutely absurd about this is that this time, we haven't even given the guys a chance.  Not one day in office, before we have crucified the coach and hung Marv Levy in effigy.

I think the problem with some cities is that the fans have no patience, and they force owners and GM's to act hastily.  Fans can and do cause their own misery.  So eat your hearts out Bills fans.

I say, three cheers for Levy and Jauron.  Go get 'em fellas.  I'll judge you after three full seasons, and while I might criticize here and there, I will never go overboard and start calling for your heads until then.

581267[/snapback]

Donahoe and Mularkey agree 1000%!

Donahoe and Mularkey agree 1000%!

581274[/snapback]

I do think it was time for Donahoe to go (not necessarily Mularkey), but I suspect we poisoned the well for Donahoe. We were on his back constantly until he lashed out and became defensive. He is a good football mind, but could no longer operate in this environment.

You know what I think?  I think that we are so impatient that we do not allow a team to develop properly.  We want instant gratification, and when it doesn't come, we carp and carp and carp and carp until there is paranoia in the front office and on the sidelines (how many of you could make sound decisions with this kind of constant rabid impatience and scrutiny?) and everyone gets fired.  Then, we start all over again.  No immediate results?  No immediate wins?  Carp and carp and carp and carp.  Front office and coach fired (or resigns because of hostility of fans and city).

What is absolutely absurd about this is that this time, we haven't even given the guys a chance.  Not one day in office, before we have crucified the coach and hung Marv Levy in effigy.

I think the problem with some cities is that the fans have no patience, and they force owners and GM's to act hastily.  Fans can and do cause their own misery.  So eat your hearts out Bills fans.

I say, three cheers for Levy and Jauron.  Go get 'em fellas.  I'll judge you after three full seasons, and while I might criticize here and there, I will never go overboard and start calling for your heads until then.

581267[/snapback]

Tell you what. You get a coach like Holmgren in here and you'll have people agreeing with you. I would. But I sense Jauron is no Holmgren. I wouldn't even say he's Holgrenesque. Just get ready for all the I told you so's in 3 years.

What is your definition of "Instant Gratification" exactly?

We haven't watched a Bills playoff game since January 8, 2000 and haven't watched a Bills playoff win since December 30, 1995. The Bills have been over .500 only once (9-7) in the last 6 seasons. I think we have waited long enough.

We have a new GM, new HC, new coordinators.  We'll also have new players

If we're totally cleaning house, can we fire the 12th man too?

581277[/snapback]

Boy, I wish we could fire a lot of these fans, the way they have been reacting. But no, one doesn't dare criticize the sacred 12th man! That would be undemocratic. That would fail to pander to the masses. Can't do that. Go! go! 12th man! We may be all beer drinking slobs without a clue, but we know what's best!

581267[/snapback]

What the heck are you talking about? 13 winning years out of 38? No playoff wins since 1995? In today's era of free-agency, a 5 yr plan gets people fired. There's got to be 2-3 yr plans and instant IMPROVEMENT. Improvement is the key. Going backwards in year number 5? People should get fired as they are not doing their jobs well. It is a competitive industry, obviously.

What is your definition of "Instant Gratification" exactly?

We haven't watched a Bills playoff game since January 8, 2000 and haven't watched a Bills playoff win since December 30, 1995. The Bills have been over .500 only once (9-7) in the last 6 seasons. I think we have waited long enough.

581280[/snapback]

What he said.

I think Tolstoy overemphasized our impatients to much, because we have lost for a long time now, but considering the way we welcomed the past few coaches compared to Jauron I really don't think his opinion is that off base.

Bills fans are passionate as all hell so a cynical attitude would be expected during a time like this, but the main problem was under the TD administration the attitude of the fans was often the direction the team took. If we wanted a guy fired he usually got fired, offensive coordinator after offensive coordinator, coach after coach. I'm not saying any of these guys were gems, but we never stayed in a system long enough for our guys to have things come naturally to them. Now another guy gets brought in that isn't very popular, and most people won't even give him enough time to hire his coordinators.

Just like JP we don't know for sure how Jauron will do. So many variables go into a coach’s record and so many more when you try and figure out how he might do the second time around. For Jaurons sake hopefully things settle down a little bit. Even if they don't I expect this administration won't be as likely to make rash decisions as TD's was.

Let me break the news to you Tolstoy, "Sport" is entertainment. And, just like the movies, if you continually put up stink bombs in the theatre, audiences get the clue and stop coming - regardless of what the pundits say.

You can watch mediocrity as much as you like, but don't expect the stands to be filled with 70,000 people like you chanting, "Hooray! We're Number 29!"

We have a new GM, new HC, new coordinators.  We'll also have new players

If we're totally cleaning house, can we fire the 12th man too?

581277[/snapback]

The 12th man aren't the people that B word and moan about everything on this site. The 12th man are the fans that attend all the games, every year, wether the Bills are in the hunt or not. Do not fire the 12th man, fire the arm chair/monday morning quarterback!!!!

The 12th man aren't the people that B word and moan about everything on this site.  The 12th man are the fans that attend all the games, every year, wether the Bills are in the hunt or not.  Do not fire the 12th man, fire the arm chair/monday morning quarterback!!!!

581569[/snapback]

problem is alot of the 12th man these days go to the game and boo the starting QB. Not after a lousy game like elsewhere but right from the start because they didnt like the choice the organization made for starter.

RWS used to be an intimidating place to play but over the last few years I dont hear the same level of noise as I had in the past.

problem is alot of the 12th man these days go to the game and boo the starting QB. Not after a lousy game like elsewhere but right from the start because they didnt like the choice the organization made for starter.

RWS used to be an intimidating place to play but over the last few years I dont hear the same level of noise as I had in the past.

581592[/snapback]

I didn't hear any booing to start the game, but I'm sure there were a few that did. I do agree the RWS is not as loud as it used to be, but the more meaningful the game the louder it gets. I try to get the crowd going every game and this year wasn't all that bad. I do hate that we waste all those seats in the end zone for the band. That's a prime time shouting section and when the band leaves at half, they tape off the section. That makes no sense.

Let me break the news to you Tolstoy, "Sport" is entertainment. And, just like the movies, if you continually put up stink bombs in the theatre, audiences get the clue and stop coming - regardless of what the pundits say.

You can watch mediocrity as much as you like, but don't expect the stands to be filled with 70,000 people like you chanting, "Hooray! We're Number 29!"

581382[/snapback]

That's what separates those of us who sat at Rich for every home game while watching the Bills put together back-to-back 2-14 seasons and people like you.

But here's a little secret: When it was just us sitting there in the Ralph, it was actually more fun.

I think Marv had the proper perspective when he said "If you listen to the fans you will be sitting with them."

I am glad this board is outraged and complaining about the decisions being made. It convinces me that the right decisions are being made.

581592[/snapback]

That tends to happen when you put a consistent losing product on the field for the better part of a decade. Fans cheer when there's something to cheer for.

That's what separates those of us who sat at Rich for every home game while watching the Bills put together back-to-back 2-14 seasons and people like you.

But here's a little secret:  When it was just us sitting there in the Ralph, it was actually more fun.

581608[/snapback]

Absolutely!!!!

581592[/snapback]

Some of it's due to the product on the field, no doubt, but don't forget the renovation wiped out about 7000 seats...