Give it a break...

Coach Jauron is not a bum. He in fact has a notable defensive mind. Which we all like. And is a decent judge of talent - the Lions team is poor, but look position by position - not so bad...

The question mark is can he deal with today's nutty player personalities, with media fame elicited and heaped, and the effect upon field performance?

I sure don't know. But I'll sure give the fellow a fair shot, and won't pre-judge. Ever had a new job? Ever felt the pressure to prove yourself?

Probably the same for Coach Juaron...there is nothing to be gained by trying to cut off the guy's legs off before the first snap of the '06 season.

There is an important draft coming up, with the Bills having an opportunity of making an impact pick and at last an extra pick in prime time. Having an astute fellow like Jauron involved in that seems a plus.

Coach Jauron is not a bum. He in fact has a notable defensive mind. Which we all like. And is a decent judge of talent - the Lions team is poor, but look position by position - not so bad...

The question mark is can he deal with today's nutty player personalities, with media fame elicited and heaped, and the effect upon field performance?

I sure don't know. But I'll sure give the fellow a fair shot, and won't pre-judge. Ever had a new job? Ever felt the pressure to prove yourself?

Probably the same for Coach Juaron...there is nothing to be gained by trying to cut off the guy's legs off before the first snap of the '06 season.

There is an important draft coming up, with the Bills having an opportunity of making an impact pick and at last an extra pick in prime time. Having an astute fellow like Jauron involved in that seems a plus.

580856[/snapback]

Besides everything you just stated sometime when a guy gets a second go at it hes had time to ponder things he did wrong in his first stint and know waht hes getting into in the second...again i reserve judegement till the last game of regualar season has been played!!!!!!!!

Jauron is NOT a notable defensive mind. He was Jacksonville's defensive coordinator from '95 to '98, years in which they ranked 28th, 19th, 15th, and 17th in points allowed ( http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/jaxindex.htm ). In '99, the year IMMEDIATELY AFTER Jauron left to become the Bears head coach, Jacksonville's defense jumped to #1 in the league. Now, let's continue following his career. He spent 5 years as head coach of the Bears beginning in '99, and in those 5 years, they ranked 21st, 20th, 1st, 25th, and 22nd in points allowed ( http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chiindex.htm ). After being fired in 2004, he of course became Detroit's defensive coordinator for the past two seasons, where he led Detroit's defense to the 18th and 21st ranked defenses in the league ( http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/detindex.htm ).

That is 11 years worth of data. Only ONCE in 11 years did Dick Jauron have a defense finish in the top half of the league in points allowed. Not only can you NOT say that Dick Jauron is a good defensive coach, you can make a pretty convincing argument that he is a piece of crap as a defensive coach.

580856[/snapback]

Please read post #4 in this thread. Also of note: Detroit went from 20th in the league last year to 24th this year. What a great defensive coach.

oh, you guys forgot to insert a footnote for all of those years of data......"DJ did not have any talent" :devil:

That seems to be the common excuse for DJ now. Well, unfortunately, he's not exactly rolling into a wealth of talent here either. Sure, we have some pieces, but we still have quite a few holes to fill. Not to mention everyone is going to be a year older next year (ahem....Milloy and Vincent).

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but we just hired a Head Coach not a defensive coordinator, right? We have been burnt the last couple of years hiring coordinators who didn't have the stones or moxie to be head man. Jauron, as evidenced by Villy's article (I respect Villy a lot, BTW), can be a head coach. He'll only be better his second time around. Get Capers or Bates in here as DC and lets get this thing rolling.

Here's the problem. Both Mularkey and Williams were considered good coordinators. Jauron isn't exactly considered a good coach by any stretch. Most of the fans were willing to be patient with them MM and GW. Now (post MM) we have impatient fans who were just handed Jauron. The leash will be short. If you think Mularkey was under a lot of pressure, just wait until things start going south now.

Jags DC: (rank in yards allowed)

1996___15

1997___24

1998___25

Bears HC:

1999___30

2000___16

2001___13

2002___25

2003___12

580894[/snapback]

You forgot to mention that the last two years as DC in Detroit the defense stunk also - I believe in the lowest third of the league.

Just friggin wonderful !!!

A octogenarian rookie GM, an owner out of touch with reality, and a new HC with a record of proven mediocrity.

The sweet smell of success or a formula for disaster? Yikes!

oh, you guys forgot to insert a footnote for all of those years of data......"DJ did not have any talent"  :devil:

580946[/snapback]

I'm not saying I'm thrilled with the move, but what was Bellichek's record as HC prior to going to NE. What was Shanahan's prior to going to the Broncs? How 'bout Marv's before he came to Bflo?

The point is that it is a waste of time to evaluate either Sherman or Jauron based on their HC record with a different team. I appreciate that it's the easiest way, but it's also the most worthless IMO.

I'm not saying I'm thrilled with the move, but what was Bellichek's record as HC prior to going to NE.  What was Shanahan's prior to going to the Broncs?  How 'bout Marv's before he came to Bflo?

The point is that it is a waste of time to evaluate either Sherman or Jauron based on their HC record with a different team.  I appreciate that it's the easiest way, but it's also the most worthless IMO.

580992[/snapback]

We're also looking at how his defense ranked in Jacksonville. Not too great.

Looking at the stats from Jax' defense when Jauron was the DC, my question is, how in the HELL did he get a HC'ing job the FIRST time? 

580985[/snapback]

I matched your reaction to that point. In the answer may lie the explanation for many of the woes being bandied about. I'm guessing the hire wasn't done exclusively based upon the similarity in style to Marv he favors or his Coach of the Year in 2001. There's something in the equation that's not visible at this time..................

We're also looking at how his defense ranked in Jacksonville. Not too great.

581000[/snapback]

That might be relevant if he was named our DC, but since he wasn't, it isn't.

As a head coach, I'd like him to be an effective manager of both players and staff. I'd like him to have a consistent vision. I'd like that vision to mesh with the personnel department (drafting a receiving TE to play for a "smash-mouth" team is an example of what I don't want to see). I'd like him to hire an OC & DC that effectively use the talent we have - taking advantage of those players' strengths while covering their weaknesses.

His record as a HC or DC for other teams (most of whom had nowhere the talent that I believe Bflo does) doesn't matter. I used to think it did, but Williams and Mularkey have convinced me otherwise...

I matched your reaction to that point. In the answer may lie the explanation for many of the woes being bandied about. I'm guessing the hire wasn't done exclusively based upon the similarity in style to Marv he favors or his Coach of the Year in 2001. There's something in the equation that's not visible at this time..................

581010[/snapback]

Ahhhh, a hidden attribute.

Kind of like potential.

:devil:

P.S.- For our sake, I hope what you say is true.