Draft

L.I.Phil

Maybe because it'd be smarter for them to get a franchise back with the fourth pick overall. The Jets know that one of the OTs like Winston will fall to the in the second. Do you think one of the top runningbacks will be there for them in the second round? Didn't think so, I rest my case.  :o

574269[/snapback]

Maybe it's smarter. Maybe not. My philosophy differs in that I'd rather have the stud OL that would enhance the game of a "lesser" RB. As opposed to say.....WM

and ....well......you get the point. Certainly more than one way to skin a cat, I guess.

I am aware you are a new poster to the board, but I don't get the love feast for D'Brickashaw Ferguson.  He is short, light, with limited athletic ability.  He is not a dominant run blocker and has problems with speed rushers. 

If the Bills pick him 8th it would be the worst draft choice since Mike Williams.  This guy has NFL bust written all over him. 

In games this year against Boston College with Kiwaunka, and Virginia Tech with Darryl Tapp run over and through him.  Plus Virginia had no running game at all and this is with an offensive tackle who is the "best ever".

Do this board a favor, start reading draft reports, reviewing size, speed and strength numbers and review some game tapes before you make such absurd statements.

If you do a simple comparision between Ferguson and Aubrn tackle Marcus McNeil you will see the obvious difference in physical skills.

Ferguson - 6'4" 1/2 - 298 lbs - 40 Time 5.30

McNeil      - 6'7" 1/2 - 332 lbs - 40 Time 4.96

40 yard times are not significant for lineman and a better assessment is the 10 yard dash, but just the physical skills should tell you that D'Brick is way overrated and will fall to maybe the 4th or 5th tackle after the combine.

574152[/snapback]

you dont get why people love him? hes been a top tier OT for the last 2 years and is the #1 OT on the draft board. Kiper has him as his 2nd or 3rd best choice. But you know better than everyone else out there.

I dont get why YOU hate him so much...and height, weight and 40 times dont tell jack squat...

I am aware you are a new poster to the board, but I don't get the love feast for D'Brickashaw Ferguson.  He is short, light, with limited athletic ability.  He is not a dominant run blocker and has problems with speed rushers. 

574152[/snapback]

You brought up the main concern with D'Brick as he advances to the pro game, but at the same you’re also trashing the skills that have made him so heralded.

He's known for being undersized, thus making his run blocking a question mark, but he's still has a solid frame at 6'5, and has been steadily gaining weight ever since his freshman year at Virginia. He's already around 300, and at his current pace of about 25 pounds a year and his height he could easily take on another 25-30 pounds. What leaves me most puzzled about your comments is the knock on his athleticism. I've read just about every draft bio on the web concerning old D'Brick and they almost universally have this guys pegged as the most athletically gifted LT in a long time.

D'Brick 1

D'Brick 2

D'Brick 3 (Mock, Read the Bio)

You do realise that Ferguson had a knee injury this year and stayed out of a few games? I watched him last year and this year. He was slowed by the knee injury but he also got better as the year went on. He is a lot stronger then you think and because of his body type he will never be a player that goes much over the 300 lb area. He has a body type like Bruce Smith and Bruce was plenty strong enough. You better go back to the tapes from the 2004 season. If you do you will see that he is a very good run blocker but not the type that pancakes. His combo blocks are excelent and he can pull and block in open space with the best of them. Well that's my take on him and I'm sticking to it! :o

Sorry Nick, just trying to provide a little football guidance to the new guy.

If he had watched any of the University of Virginia's games he would see the Ferguson gets no push in the running game and was dominated by the NFL quality DE's such as Kiwaunka and Tapp.  If these guys dominate him, for god sakes what will guys such as John Abraham,  Jason Taylor, and of course Richard Seymour do to him.

Plus I think we can agree the at 298 lbs, D'Brick will need to bulk up and what will be the affect on his quickness once he does bulk-up.  Its not going to get better!

There is a significant difference between collegiate stardom and NFL performance and I just want the new guy to know the difference.

574186[/snapback]

you dont get why people love him? hes been a top tier OT for the last 2 years and is the #1 OT on the draft board. Kiper has him as his 2nd or 3rd best choice. But you know better than everyone else out there.

I dont get why YOU hate him so much...and height, weight and 40 times dont tell jack squat...

574285[/snapback]

Also are you aware that McNeil is being projected as a RT over LT? After going threw the Mike Williams situation and with Peter’s emergence why on earth would we get within 20 feet of a tackle that is not a true LT prospect? Especially with a top 10 pick.

You do realise that Ferguson had a knee injury this year and stayed out of a few games?  I watched him last year and this year.  He was slowed by the knee injury but he also got better as the year went on.  He is a lot stronger then you think and because of his body type he will never be a player that goes much over the 300 lb area.  He has a body type like Bruce Smith and Bruce was plenty strong enough.  You better go back to the tapes from the 2004 season.  If you do you will see that he is a very good run blocker but not the type that pancakes.  His combo blocks are excelent and he can pull and block in open space with the best of them. Well that's my take on him and I'm sticking to it!  :o

574334[/snapback]

From what I've watched the last 2 years he seems more like a wall off type run blocker then a guy that's going to drive his man out of the screen. That's fine with me, we need nimble feet and agility in our pass blocking from the left side. As he fine tunes his run blocking that will just serve as the icing on the cake IMO.

From what I've watched the last 2 years he seems more like a wall off type run blocker then a guy that's going to drive his man out of the screen. That's fine with me, we need nimble feet and agility in our pass blocking from the left side. As he fine tunes his run blocking that will just serve as the icing on the cake IMO.

574349[/snapback]

That would be correct. He uses his long arms to direct and keep players away from getting into his body. He is very effective. He will struggle at first doing this in the NFL but as he gets even stronger he will gain the advantage back. IMO

Yes, since we know teams need first-round RBs to succeed.

Or do we?

Shaun Alexander is the only first-round pick starting at RB this weekend. The others:

Carolina - Nick Goings (UDFA). DeShaun Foster was a 2nd-round pick.

Denver - Tatum Bell (2nd) or Mike Anderson (6th)

Pittsburgh - Willie Parker (UDFA)

Last year's champs had Corey Dillon (2nd) at RB; their opponents, the Eagles, had Brian Westbrook (3rd). Bucs had Michael Pittman (4th), the year they beat the Raiders and Charlie Garner (2nd).

And I hear the Bills had a decent second-round pick at RB themselves, once upon a time. Thurman something-or-other....

574278[/snapback]

7 of the top 10 rushers in the NFL this year were first round picks. Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown, both first rounders in 2005, had fantastic rookie seasons and look like franchise backs. I don't think the Jets will want to risk taking the 5th best runningback hoping he's the next Tiki Barber. New York likes it's stars and a star runningback is what they will eventually go for. When they see how deep the draft is in offensive lineman they'll know they can snag a good one with the second pick.

Certainly more than one way to skin a cat, I guess.

574280[/snapback]

Yup. We can argue what's the smarter move and in the end both be right or wrong. I just see no way the Jets will be picking an offensive lineman when they know Curtis' wheels are gone and they have no cap money for a top runner. We'll see.

An unofficial scan of lots of mock drafts, and they all had Mario Williams gone by #8. I would love to see this change somehow, as he is the guy I want, but I have the feeling we will be a couple steps away, just like we were with Peppers.

Most seem to have us ending up with D'Brick or Ngata, and while I'm not sold on either, I'm excited to get a star lineman. With Leinart, Vince Young, and Reggie Bush all going ahead of our pick, it means there are really four other players gone before we pick. So we definitely have a chance of getting one of our top guys.

My dream is that four other players can move into the top 7 with the three I mentioned, and push Mario Williams to us. You never know with combine performances, but some players who could go in the top 7 and fill that up are: LenDale White, AJ Hawk, Michael Huff, Ngata, D'Brick, and DeAngelo Williams. I'm really hoping that some teams ahead of us will stretch to meet a need, but is hard to picture the Packers, Raiders, and Niners all passing on Mario Williams for people from that short list.

So the two questions I have are:

Is there anybody else on that list who we would rather have than Mario?

What are the chances that four other players join the big three to push Mario down to us?

Jason peters learned how to play RT this season, and he was our best lineman, why not teach him how to play LT, I figure he'll pick that up fast as well, he is more athletic than any of the tackles coming out.

Also we can get a rather good RT via Free agency or the draft, a player like Jon Runyan could step in a play, or LJ Shelton, either could start at RT, and cost little, less than the money we save by cutting, or reducing Mike williams' contract. Who i think should start at RG, and like I said in another post about D'brick, he is only able to play 1 position, what if he struggles, as rookies do, there is no chance he could play RT at 285 (don't believe the draft web sites, that is his playing weight, remember Flowers if you think he can bulk up).

we need to address the Defense, I think the offense will be better in part because I am hoping Sherman is the coach, I think once our defense becomes better our offense will respond. I like that Sherman liked Losman too, and I think that Losman compares to Favre well.

What I really like about sherman, is how he sticks up for his players, remember chad clifton and Sapp.

Bottom line, we get LeCharles Bentley, move our sept 2005 starting tackles inside to guard, move in a vet to RT and move our best talent to LT and we'll be ok.

Peters-Gandy-Bentley-Williams-Runyan/Shelton/releasie.

I pray that the jets draft D'Brick, Schobel will destroy him.

If the Jets dont draft  D'Brickshaw will he fall to the Bills? Jets would have to be crazy to pass on him and then let another AFC East team get him. He might be the best since Orlando Pace or might be the best ever.

574112[/snapback]

Wow, what films have you seen on D'Brickshaw because I have not seen a o-linemen that looks ready to come in the NFL and kill! I hope he does get drafted because I see a good college player that will be way over his head in the NFL because he will never be able to handle power rushers head up and his feet get turned a lot when he came across speed rushers.