Sherman Makes Cents.....

30dive

......and dollars too. Most importantly Mike Sherman, is a winner on the field, he has won playoff games, the naming of Mike Sherman as HC will put fannys in the seats at One Bills Drive. Bringing in Dick Juron, may not be a horrible choice, he might even prove to be a pretty good coach (he had no talent in Chicago) but he will do nothing for advance (read season ) ticket sales. This truely is Marvs first real test as a GM, he needs to take into account what the naming of a head coach means, he not only needs to bring in a guy who can win, but he needs to bring in a guy that will help sell tickets. Sherman has been associated with winning, Juron has not. Winning sells tickets. This just makes cents.

......and dollars too.  Most importantly Mike Sherman, is a winner on the field, he has won playoff games, the naming of Mike Sherman as HC will put fannys in the seats at One Bills Drive.  Bringing in Dick Juron, may not be a horrible choice, he might even prove to be a pretty good coach  (he had no talent in Chicago) but he will do nothing for advance (read season ) ticket sales.  This truely is Marvs first real test as a GM, he needs to take into account what the naming of a head coach means, he not only needs to bring in a guy who can win, but he needs to bring in a guy that will help sell tickets.  Sherman has been associated with winning, Juron has not.  Winning sells tickets. This just makes cents.

573768[/snapback]

oh come on man!! witty/thought provoking posts cannot be made before 8:00am!!

on a serious note though, i agree. If there's a choice between sherman and jauron, you'd pick sherman 99 out of 100 times. However, that 1% is only picked for the special circumstance that jauron has personal ties to the administration. That 1% scares the you know what out of me.

I do hope that marv makes the right call here. He may not be the coach now, but anything he does in pro football from here on out tarnishes his HOF legacy. Don't tarnish it with Jauron.

This is something I mentioned a couple of days ago. If they really want to hire Dick Jauron, then they've already screwed up big time. They never should have interviewed Sherman, instead interviewing weaker candidates like Haslett or a few coordinators with no experience. They might be able to make a believable argument that Jauron is better than those guys.

If they hire Jauron now, they'll never be able to sell it to the fanbase when they'll be passing up a former HC with a much, MUCH better W-L record in order to hire him. Its going to look like another cheap coach hiring.

......and dollars too.  Most importantly Mike Sherman, is a winner on the field, he has won playoff games, the naming of Mike Sherman as HC will put fannys in the seats at One Bills Drive.  Bringing in Dick Juron, may not be a horrible choice, he might even prove to be a pretty good coach  (he had no talent in Chicago) but he will do nothing for advance (read season ) ticket sales.  This truely is Marvs first real test as a GM, he needs to take into account what the naming of a head coach means, he not only needs to bring in a guy who can win, but he needs to bring in a guy that will help sell tickets.  Sherman has been associated with winning, Juron has not.  Winning sells tickets. This just makes cents.

573768[/snapback]

I must say that you do have a point. I do NOT think that coaching decisions should be based on what fans want, but by raising this issue, you also raise the questions:

1) Is fan popularity even a small issue wrt the hiring of a coach?

2) Do you think that RW/Levy are even aware of who the fans want?

Bill

I think it would be fair to say that they do not stop here every day, but they read the paper, they listen to the radio, a good business/community leader must. They must have a some knowledge of the pulse of the community. The community wants a winner, and they know that this town will accept whoever they bring in because, well we have no real choice, but the community will be much happier if they bring in a guy who has won before, not a guy they think can win with the right tools (Juron)

573779[/snapback]

1) Shouldn't be. Trust yourself to make the correct decision based on the qualifications alone. Gut instinct plays into the decision, past relationships too (can I work with this guy), but it should come down to "can this guy win games?"

2) I think that they are aware that they must get this thing turned around quickly--progress in the 06 season, playoffs in 07--or they put the future of the franchise at risk(doooomed). They don't live in a vacuum though. Not interviewing Has is very telling in the respect that it would be an 'easy' hire. Many, myself included, question his ability as a HC (I flat out don't want him), but the fact remains that hiring him would buy a grace period.

I must say that you do have a point. I do NOT think that coaching decisions should be based on what fans want, but by raising this issue, you also raise the questions:

573779[/snapback]

The answers to these questions should be no and no. Marv once said that once you start listening to the fans, soon enough you'll be up there in the stands watching games with them. Meaning, you'd get fired. I want the head coach who can best compete with Belichick when it comes to X's and O's, and who can get the most out of his team every Sunday.

Please.....I don't want Marv to listen to the fans, all I am saying is that when he picks a coach, he must pick a coach for his knoweledge of the X's and O's, his ability to motivate players, and for THIS Bills team in 2006 the next coach ought to be one who, by his resume, gets the fans to buy tickets, or dare I say keep their tickets.

573779[/snapback]

IMHO ......... I think the answers are yes to #1 .......... and kinda to #2

Let me explain

It's my opinion that all the fans really REALLY want is to win ....... sure, sure, sure who the actual coach is ..... who we are drafting ...... what free agents we are keeping ...... which free agents we are picking up ....... is fine "grist for the mill" at this point in time to dicuss and even argue over.

But bottom line ....... if the home team starts to string wins on the scoreboard, all of our misguided "opinions" will be forgotten and forgiven.

so the answer to #1 is YES ..... Marv and Ralph know if they build a winner the team (and coach) will be popular with the fans.

and for #2, while Marv and Ralph may not know WHO we want ...... they know WHAT we want.