Jerry Gray is rather presumptuous

OnTheRocks

From the D&C:

It is also becoming apparent that defensive coordinator Jerry Gray will not return to Buffalo. The team is no longer considering Gray as a candidate to succeed Mike Mularkey and gave him permission to talk with other teams.

"I don't think so," said Gray, who has a year left on his contract. "If you're a defensive coordinator and they want you, they're not going to give you permission to go somewhere else. ... So I'm pretty sure that means they're letting you go be a D coordinator elsewhere because they've got other plans here."

I don't think it is a sure thing he will be offered a DC job anywhere.

He coordinated a top 3 defense 2 years in a row.

He'll definitely get a coordinator job somewhere.

From the D&C:

I don't think it is a sure thing he will be offered a DC job anywhere.

570629[/snapback]

I hope Gray gets a DC job somewhere else. As long as his new job isn't a promotion, I believe the Bills will be entitled to some sort of compensation. I'd take a sixth or even seventh round pick for his contract rights. Of course any interested teams may just wait out the Bills, who may have to cut him loose eventually -- right? Unless the Bills outsmart everyone, keep Gray under contract until someone ponies up a pick, and brings in Haslett as the assistant head coach, defense -- like the Deadskins did with Gregg Williams. I really think Marv is playing here with nothing to lose.

I believe once the Bills gave him permission to look elsewhere, they're giving up and compensation. And if Herm Edwards a HC is only worth a 4th rounder, I'd say you'll be hard pressed to get better than 10th rounder for Grey. Oh wait, there are only 7 rounds!

I t seems to thatI've read something that the NFL is trying to crack down on these coaches for compensation picks. They didn't like what Oakland got from Tampa and they'll review any future deal. That being said, don't count on getting anything for a DC you've told to look elsewhere.

I believe once the Bills gave him permission to look elsewhere, they're giving up and compensation.  And if Herm Edwards a HC is only worth a 4th rounder, I'd say you'll be hard pressed to get better than 10th rounder for Grey.  Oh wait, there are only 7 rounds!

I t seems to thatI've read something that the NFL is trying to crack down on these coaches for compensation picks.  They didn't like what Oakland got from Tampa and they'll review any future deal.  That being said, don't count on getting anything for a DC you've told to look elsewhere.

571005[/snapback]

I am pretty sure you're incorrect about the Bills givng up right to compensation for giving permission to talk to other teams. Payton reportly has been granted permission to speak with the Bills -- does that mean the Bills could hire him as their OC without owing Dallas anything? I think not. You can say it isn't the same thing, but it is. The bottomline is that Grey is conractually obligated to the Bills. Until the Bills release him from that contract, he cannot coach anywhere else, unless, as per NFL rules, another team offers Grey a promotion or comes to an agreement with the Bills.

I am pretty sure you're incorrect about the Bills givng up right to compensation for giving permission to talk to other teams. Payton reportly has been granted permission to speak with the Bills -- does that mean the Bills could hire him as their OC without owing Dallas anything? I think not. You can say it isn't the same thing, but it is. The bottomline is that Grey is conractually obligated to the Bills. Until the Bills release him from that contract, he cannot coach anywhere else, unless, as per NFL rules, another team offers Grey a promotion or comes to an agreement with the Bills.

571043[/snapback]

Peyton is interviewing (or possible) for a HC job not a OC job....A HC job is

a promotion for him, hence there will be no compensation involved if he does

become the HC of the bills.

Thats true you're right, that technically the Bills would be owed something. However I still doubt it would not be even a 7th round draft pick considering the Bills have kind of told Grey they don't want him back. I think the NFL would step in and not allow anything.

Personally I believe the Bills are keeping him under contract as a favor as it looks better for him whe ninterviewing to not say he was just fired as DC.

571043[/snapback]

Thats true you're right, that technically the Bills would be owed something. However I still doubt it would not be even a 7th round draft pick considering the Bills have kind of told Grey they don't want him back.  I think the NFL would step in and not allow anything. 

Personally I believe the Bills are keeping him under contract as a favor as it looks better for him whe ninterviewing to not say he was just fired as DC.

571365[/snapback]

Hey guys Green Bay fan here. Jerry Gray is interviewing with the Packers today. Could you give some insight on what defensive scheme he runs? I saw that he had good defenses in 03 and 04. Was last year just rough because of injuries.

Would he be a good pickup for a DC? My guess is that he would.

Hey guys Green Bay fan here. Jerry Gray is interviewing with the Packers today. Could you give some insight on what defensive scheme he runs? I saw that he had good defenses in 03 and 04. Was last year just rough because of injuries.

571411[/snapback]

So Grey learned at the foot of Greg Williams - who absolutely is a great defensive coordinator. I think Jerry has potential. He basically took the scheme that Greggo and Lebeau (the current Steeler DC who spent 1 year here) had and generated what was one of the top defenses in the league. This year he really had a hard time - primarily due to 2 factors: the loss of Pat Williams - who you know from his performance with the Vikes - is a true monster in the middle, and the season ending injury to Takeo Spikes who was the heart and soul of this defense.

That being said, he didn't make many successful adjustments this year. He seemed to think that the solution to problems like not stopping the run was to blitz more frequently. Then when that didn't work, he'd blitz even more. The one game I was impressed with him was when he changed to a cover-2 against the Panthers - and the combination of Clements and Vincent shut Steve Smith down. I think Carolina was so shocked at the lack of blitzing that they resorted to pass 3-4 yard screens all the way down the field and won a close game against our over-matched offense. My biggest disappointment with him was his inability to come up with a scheme to stop the run. At the worst let Clements and McGee play the wideouts 1-on-1 and figure out a way to stop the opposition from getting 5+ yard chunks. A DC who can't come up with a solution for that till the season's nearly over, has some issues.

I think Grey's a smart guy, I know he expected to be a head coach after 2-3 seasons at DC. But he still needs some teaching in fundamentals frankly. Williams blitzes work because he also knows the basics - it seems like Jerry never quite picked them up. Maybe having someone rooted in defensive fundamentals as a head coach, like a Jauron or Rivera - would help. Not sure if McCarthy's the right "fit" for a guy like Grey.

571411[/snapback]

Gray uses a "gambling" defense which depends on interceptions and fumbles caused by defense to give it decent stats. The gambling defense can be exploited by better offenses and requires players who fit the defense which can be expensive. I would not recommend Gray as DC because what you want is a DC is someone who matches up well to better offenses and adjusts the defense to take away a teams best plays and I do not think he is that creative. Our former DC and HC Wade is better at that and I believe is available.