How long will Dungy be with the Colts?

There is a lesson to be learned in today's result:

There are winners (Belichek, Brady for example), and there are losers (Dungy, (fill in the blank) Manning). The difference between winners and losers often has nothing to do with statistics. That's why there are things called "intangibles". Winners find ways to win more often than not, and losers find ways to lose. Your job when hiring a coach for Buffalo is to keep the losers as far away from this team as possible, regardless of how good they look. You often don't know a winner until he performs, but it's better to get a question mark than a known loser.

Moral of the story: Keep Jim Haslett the heck away from this team.

Has he had problems with this, coaching elsewhere?

569019[/snapback]

In TB, Dungy led them to pretty impressive records in the regular season and got them to the playoffs a few times but never got them too far.

1996: finished the season 6-10, tho finishing 5-2 and showing what they could do on D.

1997: 10-6, won the wildcard game, lost to the Packers.

1998: 8-8. Missed playoffs.

1999: 11-5, won in the divisional, lost to the Rams in the NFC Championship.

2000: 10-6

2001: 9-7. Both of these seasons ended in the wild card game to the Iggles.

Dungy was fired, and Gruden won the Super Bowl that next year. It's been bandied around here by myself that there are different kinds of coaches. Builders who can make a team good but not great and then coaches who can come into an established team, tweak a few things that the previous coach couldn't, or more likely wouldn't, change and make them into champions.

Right now, the Bills need one of those builder coaches like Dungy, then when he's taken us as far as he can, we need to follow it up with a finisher coach. All I know is that the last two guys we had couldn't make up their minds in what they wanted the team to be or rather that they wanted the team to be all things to all people --- first it was attacking defense as the core and WCO with quick passing, then power rushing, then deep passing with the change to Bledsoe, then adding in Willis. This year, the previous/holdover core was shown to have been eaten by the worms and the offense was shown to be what it was, all tricks and no mirrors.

We need to find or build another core either by a change in philosophy or an upgrade in players. We have all been clamoring for this to be in the lines. We need to hire a coach who comes in and has been hit by the cluestick --- Buffalo has and always will get success by establishing its running game even tho everyone knew we would run it but we ran it anyways, and working off of that. We can't try to be Tennessee, we can't try to be the Patriots, we can't try to be the Steelers. Anyone who comes here will have to realize that, dammit, we've been trying to emulate other teams for too long. We need to be Buffalo.

Moral of the story:  Keep Jim Haslett the heck away from this team.

569259[/snapback]

Your word to God's ear.... But if Haslett is keen to running the team in the way a Buffalo team needs to be, mainly through a workhorse back with a capable change-up/backup, keep-them-honest-passing and a swarming defense, then it might not be the worst thing. The guy we hire next is not going to be the finisher; we need the builder.

This has nothing to do with Dungy......John Clayton has already reported this, but in case you missed it, a little old Italian lady put an evil curse on the Colts as their vans pulled out of the city of Baltimore en route to Indianapolis, as she gave them the evil eye and spat on the ground she proclaimed........" that team will never win anything ever again!"

How many seasons do you think the Colts will let Tony Dungy not get them to the Super Bowl without parting ways with him?

If they ever let him go, I hope the Bills jump on him, like white on rice. I dont care that he cant get into the Super Bowl. If he just brings me to a playoff game, I will be happy.

568653[/snapback]

peyton is the problem not dungy. dungy has brought 2 franchises - bucs and colts - from the brink to super bowl contenders. problem is peyton has been made into some kind of super hero and yesterday once again showed the guy isn't even in the better half of NFL QBs. consider:

- he has no mobility and cant buy himself an extra second or two when the blitz is on (like brady can, for example) and his clock management and decision making at the end of the game were atrocious.

- he had 2 time outs and failed to run the ball to pick up and extra 5 to 10 yards to make the field goal a much more manageable 30-something range.

- he threw INTs when he wasn't under pressure and tried to force the ball like a rookie.

- his all-audible style only serves to slow down the offense and kill momentum at crucial times when the defense is reeling.

i feel sorry for dungy because he's stuck with peyton and if he tried to trade or bench him he'd get run out of town.

This has nothing to do with Dungy......John Clayton has already reported this, but in case you missed it, a little old Italian lady put an evil curse on the Colts as their vans pulled out of the city of Baltimore en route to Indianapolis, as she gave them the evil eye and spat on the ground she proclaimed........" that team will never win anything ever again!"

Cancer Man's mother? :pirate:

In TB, Dungy led them to pretty impressive records in the regular season and got them to the playoffs a few times but never got them too far.

1996: finished the season 6-10, tho finishing 5-2 and showing what they could do on D.

1997: 10-6, won the wildcard game, lost to the Packers.

1998: 8-8. Missed playoffs.

1999: 11-5, won in the divisional, lost to the Rams in the NFC Championship.

2000: 10-6

2001: 9-7. Both of these seasons ended in the wild card game to the Iggles.

Dungy was fired, and Gruden won the Super Bowl that next year. It's been bandied around here by myself that there are different kinds of coaches. Builders who can make a team good but not great and then coaches who can come into an established team, tweak a few things that the previous coach couldn't, or more likely wouldn't, change and make them into champions.

Right now, the Bills need one of those builder coaches like Dungy, then when he's taken us as far as he can, we need to follow it up with a finisher coach. All I know is that the last two guys we had couldn't make up their minds in what they wanted the team to be or rather that they wanted the team to be all things to all people --- first it was attacking defense as the core and WCO with quick passing, then power rushing, then deep passing with the change to Bledsoe, then adding in Willis. This year, the previous/holdover core was shown to have been eaten by the worms and the offense was shown to be what it was, all tricks and no mirrors.

We need to find or build another core either by a change in philosophy or an upgrade in players. We have all been clamoring for this to be in the lines. We need to hire a coach who comes in and has been hit by the cluestick --- Buffalo has and always will get success by establishing its running game even tho everyone knew we would run it but we ran it anyways, and working off of that. We can't try to be Tennessee, we can't try to be the Patriots, we can't try to be the Steelers. Anyone who comes here will have to realize that, dammit, we've been trying to emulate other teams for too long. We need to be Buffalo.

Your word to God's ear.... But if Haslett is keen to running the team in the way a Buffalo team needs to be, mainly through a workhorse back with a capable change-up/backup, keep-them-honest-passing and a swarming defense, then it might not be the worst thing. The guy we hire next is not going to be the finisher; we need the builder.

569302[/snapback]

Nice post. Dungy also said he didnt want to be coaching after 50. He just turned 50 last month. I think one more year and Tony says ta ta.

At the very least the Colts need to ask Peyton to restructure his contract. He's owned an ungodly amount next year, and his playoff performance hasn't earned a dime of it. And if he doesn't want to make the team better, I might just start finding out what I could get for him...

Cancer Man's mother? :pirate:

569511[/snapback]

Ironically, they just showed that episode of XFiles this morning.

Cigarette guy: (responding to questions of who he wants for the Oscars) "I couldn't care less, what I don't want to see is the Bills winning the Super Bowl. That will never happen while I'm alive"...

Still freaks me out...

Moral of the story:  Keep Jim Haslett the heck away from this team.

569259[/snapback]

Too bad the Patriots didn't follow your line of reasoning when they hired Belicheck.

problem is peyton has been made into some kind of super hero and yesterday once again showed the guy isn't even in the better half of NFL QBs.

569508[/snapback]

this is one of the most absurd things i have ever read on this site. and that is saying something.