Connecting the Dots

JDG

Some thoughts:

1) Mike Mularkey, upon the firing of Mike Tice, became the lowest paid head coach in the League at $1 mil per year.

2) Gregg Williams has said in Washington that he has more money to spend just on hiring his defensive staff in Washington than he had to hire his entire staff in Buffalo. Gregg Williams, of course, got a pay raise when he was fired in Buffalo, and is now making more than twice Mularkey's salary.

3) Scott Sarama has reported that the Bills' decision-makers have really been limited in what they can pay coaches over the past few years.

4) By definition, the HC is the highest paid member of the coaching staff. Thus, all this talk of bringing in Capers or Turner as a Coordinator - while not likely for so many reasons - was also not likely simply because we'd have to pay them less than $1mil per. The alternative would be to give Mularkey a raise and an extension - but let's be serious here.

In short, Buffalo had probably become the least-attractive coaching destination in the League. The HC (Mularkey) already had half the city calling for his head, despite a 5-11 season the playoffs would be the expectation for next season, the GM is a completely unproven 80-year-old rookie who won't be around forever, the 87-year-old owner wants to take a "more active role", *and* it has the lowest top-salaries for Asst. Coaches in the League (by virtue of having the lowest-paid HC.)

As you know, I am convinced that it is best for our team to move on from Mularkey - whom I consider to be a proven failure. On the other hand, even if Ferentz hadn't said anything yesterday, its simply pure fantasy for me to think that my beloved team would offer Ferentz enough money to lure him out of near-perpetual job security in Iowa. We're also not going to be outbidding the Jets for Eric Mangini. Short of an NFL Salary Cap for coaches, we're not going to be landing a big name. And simple Economics probably played a large role in Mularkey walking away today.

JDG

There's a lot to back this theory up, but I am just left wondering why? If Ralph doesn't have a problem shelling out multi-million dollar signing bonuses, why would he have an issue paying coaches the going rate?

What I don't get is what's a few million to Ralph Wilson? When your 87, you don't have to worry about saving for the golden years. If you want to win as bad as people say he does, then why not shoot the lock off the checkbook? It's not like you can take it with you.

PTR

Some thoughts:

1) Mike Mularkey, upon the firing of Mike Tice, became the lowest paid head coach in the League at $1 mil per year.  

2) Gregg Williams has said in Washington that he has more money to spend just on hiring his defensive staff in Washington than he had to hire his entire staff in Buffalo.   Gregg Williams, of course, got a pay raise when he was fired in Buffalo, and is now making more than twice Mularkey's salary.

3) Scott Sarama has reported that the Bills' decision-makers have really been limited in what they can pay coaches over the past few years.

4) By definition, the HC is the highest paid member of the coaching staff.   Thus, all this talk of bringing in Capers or Turner as a Coordinator - while not likely for so many reasons - was also not likely simply because we'd have to pay them less than $1mil per.   The alternative would be to give Mularkey a raise and an extension - but let's be serious here.

In short, Buffalo had probably become the least-attractive coaching destination in the League.   The HC (Mularkey) already had half the city calling for his head, despite a 5-11 season the playoffs would be the expectation for next season, the GM is a completely unproven 80-year-old rookie who won't be around forever, the 87-year-old owner wants to take a "more active role", *and* it has the lowest top-salaries for Asst. Coaches in the League (by virtue of having the lowest-paid HC.) 

As you know, I am convinced that it is best for our team to move on from Mularkey - whom I consider to be a proven failure.    On the other hand,  even if Ferentz hadn't said anything yesterday, its simply pure fantasy for me to think that my beloved team would offer Ferentz enough money to lure him out of near-perpetual job security in Iowa.   We're also not going to be outbidding the Jets for Eric Mangini.  Short of an NFL Salary Cap for coaches, we're not going to be landing a big name.   And simple Economics probably played a large role in Mularkey walking away today.

JDG

564027[/snapback]

You should have started with 1)Ralph tried to convince an arbitrator that Wade Phillips quit, and wouldn't have to pay him, when Wade choose not to let go of Ronnie Jones. As Ralph told Wade he'd lose his job if he didn't fire Jones. You can blame the Economics on the city of Buffalo all you want but I think the Economics really fall in our owner's back pocket.

What I don't get is what's a few million to Ralph Wilson?  When your 87, you don't have to worry about saving for the golden years.  If you want to win as bad as people say he does, then why not shoot the lock off the checkbook?  It's not like you can take it with you.

PTR

564064[/snapback]

Precisely!!!

You can't take it with you!

Spend your kids' inheritance, please!

There's a lot to back this theory up, but I am just left wondering why?  If Ralph doesn't have a problem shelling out multi-million dollar signing bonuses, why would he have an issue paying coaches the going rate?

564054[/snapback]

I've often wondered about this. I speculate that Ralph sees the salary cap dollars as money that he is obligated to spend as a result of the shared tv revenue. But, when it comes to paying the front office/coaching staff, that's money out of his pocket. God forbid, he has to sell another of his Monet's.

TD, love him or hate him, was paid about half his market value.

I really think that was Ralph being vindictive, rather than Ralph being cheap. Either way, he came across as a fool and that may have cost him his shot at HOF.

Everyone seems to think that the reason TD hired unknowns was to prevent a power struggle like he had with Cowler in Pitt. And with the unkown, cam a lowe salary. So maybe it wasn't Ralph, but TD. We'll know the answer to that one in a couple weeks depending on who they hire.

You should have started with 1)Ralph tried to convince an arbitrator that Wade Phillips quit, and wouldn't have to pay him, when Wade choose not to let go of  Ronnie Jones. As Ralph told Wade he'd lose his job if he didn't fire Jones. You can blame the Economics on the city of Buffalo all you want but I think the Economics really fall in our owner's back pocket.

564068[/snapback]