Racism in the US

Mickey

It's not a hatred of whites he's suffering from, it's the inability to do much beyond repeating liberal talking points.

The biggest problem in the entire equation is the liberal idea that some magic amount of laws is going to fix something that is seemingly genetically implanted within us.  When individuals start treating each other the way they wish to be treated, all of this will be moot.

Of course by then my dogs will be able to return my conversational overtures in my language.

563582[/snapback]

We have laws against murder but they don't stop all murders. Yet we do what we can.

Laws won't elimenate racism any more than laws against theft or muder have magically ended all murders and all thefts but they are a start. At the very least, they are a statement by society as to what is worthy of opprobrium.

Funny how you offer a critique of liberal talking points by repeating one of the most trite, brainless, knee jerk, sloganeering-in-place-of-thought, conservative talking points around. I suppose next your going to chant "tax and spend".

Wow.  That's a damned near oppressive percentage.  :devil:

I wonder how many of those are actually against persons.  Sure, Mickey broke out the murders, rapes, and assaults...but what about the others?  I'm sure certain acts of graffitti and vandalism are counted as "racially motivated criminal incidents"...but is ALL of the rest against property and not persons?

I also wonder what defines a "racially motivated criminal incident".  Is the definition a broad or narrow one?  Some would say a racial crime is any crime where differing races are involved, whereas others would say explicit evidence of racism is necessary.  I suspect the determination here did not tend to either of those extremes...but given that your selection criteria can drastically affect the outcome of any statistical study, one has to wonder nonetheless.

And a related observation: one also has to wonder and the conspicuous absence of four criminal acts involving almost 3000 murders in 2001 that one can easily argue were racially motivated.

563708[/snapback]

Tom, the link I provided, if you follow it to each year's report has a lot of that information. There may indeed be devils in those details but there just is no good way to track racism, either the criminal kind or the most common kind which I believe would be non-criminal. Despite its warts, its one of the few resources I could find with numbers, not anecdotes.

It would be interesting to see how this percentage compares with "racially motivated criminal incidents" in other countries who say that the U.S. has a high percentage of "racially motivated criminal incidents."

Also, these stats do not mention repeat offenders, as you stated in your post? I highly doubt that all of these crimes are perpetrated by unique individuals, which would mean that your 0.0071% number is too high.

563441[/snapback]

They also count one "incident" that has multiple victims as just one incident. For those numbers you would have to look at "offenses" as opposed to "incidents" which they do track but if I used just those numbers, I would have been accused of slanting the numbers so I stuck with just "incidents" where ever that data was available.

I also didn't include, in the stats on who was committing the crimes, whites or blacks, in incidents where the offenders were not known or their race was unkown. Some of these crimes were never solved so you don't know any details about the offender. Plenty of crimes in general are solved and there was therefore not enough information to include it among "racially motivated" crimes.

There are problems with the numbers both ways so you can pick and choose among them to try an pitch them as being too high or too low. Imperfect though they may be, they are all I could find for now.

I would say that a valid answer would have to come from our black members.  White people are probably not the best, most objective judges of whether racial prejudice and discrimination are practiced, nor how extensively.

566185[/snapback]

there are millions of people in america who are neither white nor black.

obviously because of slavery and what not white/black issues in the US are more politically charged and exciting to talk about.

but if we are going to talk about white and black crime and poverty in america (and the point made sarcasticly above about black racists being impossible is ironic because there are plenty of people who say that there cannot be black racists) we shouldn't call it racism because all races besides white and black tend to be left out.

Remember how idiots like Mickey were screaming about racism during Hurricane Katrina and how the government didn't care that black people were dying?

Turns out that's a bunch of bullsh-- too!

566613[/snapback]

I never have a problem with people making a point that they feel is valid... I just think the name calling is out of line. It does nothing for the argument except get people riled.

It is funny because it is always said here that more "conservatives" get banned than "liberals" here... I can see why. We can still be civil.

Nost of us have been her a long time. At least give people the courtesy of a subtle jab.

I will step off my pulpit now KD!

:(:unsure::blink::angry:

They also count one "incident" that has multiple victims as just one incident.  For those numbers you would have to look at "offenses" as opposed to "incidents" which they do track but if I used just those numbers, I would have been accused of slanting the numbers so I stuck with just "incidents" where ever that data was available.

I also didn't include, in the stats on who was committing the crimes, whites or blacks, in incidents where the offenders were not known or their race was unkown.  Some of these crimes were never solved so you don't know any details about the offender.  Plenty of crimes in general are solved and there was therefore not enough information to include it among "racially motivated" crimes.

There are problems with the numbers both ways so you can pick and choose among them to try an pitch them as being too high or too low.  Imperfect though they may be, they are all I could find for now.

566609[/snapback]

So, what you are saying, is that the numbers you provided are meaningless to the point of this topic.

It is funny because it is always said here that more "conservatives" get banned than "liberals" here... I can see why.  We can still be civil.

567728[/snapback]

:(:unsure::blink:

That has to be the funniest thing I have seen here in a while. Nice job!!

:angry::w00t::doh:

We have laws against murder but they don't stop all murders.  Yet we do what we can.

Funny how you offer a critique of liberal talking points by repeating one of the most trite, brainless, knee jerk, sloganeering-in-place-of-thought, conservative talking points around.  I suppose next your going to chant "tax and spend".

566602[/snapback]

You talk to yourself often? Those 2 paragraphs look to me like you're arguing with your mirror. It was a good idea to try and break them up, though. Shows therapy could have some positive effect.

Love the "murder" thing, which shows how lame your point of view on this subject really is. Everytime someone mentions that a throwing more laws at something doesn't work, you can count on a liberal to play that tired card. Bravo.

Laws won't elimenate racism any more than laws against theft or muder have magically ended all murders and all thefts but they are a start.  At the very least, they are a statement by society as to what is worthy of opprobrium.

It's easy to tell when you're frustrated because you lose the ability to spell words and resort to using things like "opprobrium" to give yourself some credibility.

Bad laws hurt the cause, which is mostly what has been happening. Entire generations of peoples have been lost because we continue to try and "help them" by throwing money and programs at them. The biggest byproduct of each of those things has been resentment - from the majority who is sick of seeing their hard earned money wasted and from a too vocal part of the minority, who preach and preen that nothing (or not enough, as if it'll ever be enough) is being done and will instead sit back and wallow until the appropriate amount of "help" has been doled out.

More "No Child Left Behind" anyone? How about hospitals payed for by every taxpayer that can only be used by certain ethnic groups? Hire the best man for the job? No, that's currently unAmerican. Yep, that'll work.