It's official

I'm certainly not surprised!

Good news for Bills fans. With Bush and Young both declaring we will have the luxury of several excellent choices at #8. D'Brick could be there if not we can get an excellent defensive lineman.

Leinart didn't want to. He probably would have been drafted higher in 2005 than he will be in 2006.

563107[/snapback]

Very good point... I was wondering all year, what if Leinart got hurt, I mean really really hurt, so he couldn't play football again. That decision to go back to play another year would have been the decision he regretted the rest of his life.

Very good point... I was wondering all year, what if Leinart got hurt, I mean really really hurt, so he couldn't play football again.  That decision to go back to play another year would have been the decision he regretted the rest of his life.

563111[/snapback]

He took a huge insurance policy out on himself which would've paid him very handsomely. The payouts were based on a percentage of the contracts signed by the top 5 picks in last April's draft. Obviously he would not have made as much money with the insurance as he could've with NFL/endorsement deals, but he would have been quite comfortable, and set for life.

The policy covered career-ending injury, and also would've paid out on a smaller scale for an injury that allowed him to still play, but perhaps dropped his draft stock to say, the 3rd round in '06, istead of Top-5 where he would've been chosen in April '05.

Alas, the Leinart decision will be the example everyone uses henceforth to convince underclassmen to come out.

If you think about it, Leinart didn't really hurt himself: he didn't get hurt, he played for another national championship, and by all accounts he had a very good season. Sadly, while his stock hasn't dropped, the stock of others has soared. And that is something that no player has any control over. Last year he KNEW he would be the #1 overall pick. This year he could fall to #3. Not only did that cost him millions in a signing bonus, he'll never be able to make up the money he lost in 2005.

Oh, well. At east he got to take a ballroom dancing class.

He took a huge insurance policy out on himself which would've paid him very handsomely.  The payouts were based on a percentage of the contracts signed by the top 5 picks in last April's draft.  Obviously he would not have made as much money with the insurance as he could've with NFL/endorsement deals, but he would have been quite comfortable, and set for life.

The policy covered career-ending injury, and also would've paid out on a smaller scale for an injury that allowed him to still play, but perhaps dropped his draft stock to say, the 3rd round in '06, istead of Top-5 where he would've been chosen in April '05.

563119[/snapback]

McGahee had such a policy when his knee was wrecked in the championship game against Ohio St. He was to receive $2 million. I believe that because he did get drafted he only received a small portion of it.

I'm certainly not surprised!

Good news for Bills fans. With Bush and Young both declaring we will have the luxury of several excellent choices at #8. D'Brick could be there if not we can get an excellent defensive lineman.

563096[/snapback]

And with Lendale White also declaring there's a shot he goes in the top 7 and pushes someone down to us as well.

Let me begin by saying that I think that Reggie will be an outstanding RB in the NFL.

I did hear something interesting on the NFL Channel on Sirius this morning. He only carried the ball for more than 20 times in a game twice in his career.

Let me begin by saying that I think that Reggie will be an outstanding RB in the NFL.

I did hear something interesting on the NFL Channel on Sirius this morning.  He only carried the ball for more than 20 times in a game twice in his career.

563241[/snapback]

I'm not so sure he'll be an outstanding RB. He's never been "the guy", meaning a guy that can carry the load when a team needs it. He'll be a guy that gets 15 touches a game (running & receiving). Whoever gets him had better be happy with that.

He's also a guy that, on just about every single play, takes the ball and runs outside, whether there's a hole between the tackles or not. It's not a matter of running to the outside when something isn't there inside, that USC OL dominated and there were consistently places where Bush could run inside. Instead he elected to run toward the sideline 7 times out of 10 (if not more than that).

He's spectacular in the open field, probably the most electric player I've seen. But he won't be hitting the corner in the NFL like he does in college. Running backs that can’t run between the tackles aren’t successful in the NFL. That in combination with the fact that he'll likely need to split carries with another RB makes me think that the team that drafts him very high might not be so happy with the selection a few years down the road.