Bills Pro Personnel Evaluations are

bills_fan

Now, I've been one of the biggest TD bashers around, and couldn't be happier that he's gone. But his draft record is actually above average relative to other GMs. It is my understanding that one Asst GM handles college scouting (Modrak) and the other handles pro personnel evaluation (Guy).

I understand the duties of Guy to be evaluating players on other NFL rosters and recommending we sign them. Well if this is the case, we may be worse off at this position than just about any team in football.

You or I could have made the call to sign TKO, Adams, Milloy etc. Its not that difficult. The real meat and potatoes of this position should be identifying and signing guys who are undervalued and who will excel in your system. Not the high-priced guys, but the value guys.

We used to be able to do this very well. We signed nobodies who became stars (Tasker) and decent players who became superstars (Paup). Who has Guy signed at this level? Posey, Teague, Bennie Anderson, Villarial, Shelton, Gandy, Moorman/Lindell...and thats about it. Thats a sorry group of players with the exception of Shelton and the kickers.

I admit I never heard of many of these guys when we signed them, but was always hoping that the team knew what they were doing and these guys would make an impact in our system.

Now, I think thats the Pats competitive advantage over everyone else. They sign a value player and he becomes an excellent player to almost a star, for the most part. We do it and get spare parts.

In this respect, I think Guy has failed miserably at the pro personnel side and should be the next to go.

Now, I think thats the Pats competitive advantage over everyone else.  They sign a value player and he becomes an excellent player to almost a star, for the most part.  We do it and get spare parts.

In this respect, I think Guy has failed miserably at the pro personnel side and should be the next to go.

560402[/snapback]

You make a good point; no one should get any credit for recognizing the obvious. I remember a lot of posters on this board clamoring for Spikes to be signed once his last season at Cincinnati began. Some fans even undertook independent efforts to recruit him by wearing his jersey at the Bills home game against Cinci.

We used to be able to do this very well.  We signed nobodies who became stars (Tasker) and decent players who became superstars (Paup).  Who has Guy signed at this level?  Posey, Teague, Bennie Anderson, Villarial, Shelton, Gandy, Moorman/Lindell...and thats about it.  Thats a sorry group of players with the exception of Shelton and the kickers.

560402[/snapback]

How soon people forget Fletcher. He certainly was not a star in St Louis but has become one for Buffalo.

I agree about the over 30 club (Bledsoe, Vincent, Malloy)

How soon people forget Fletcher.  He certainly was not a star in St Louis but has become one for Buffalo.

560581[/snapback]

I also am not sure what point bills fan is trying to support because in addition to his obvious miss of the signing of pro player Fletcher, he also does not mention Sam Adans who though there was a strong contingent labeling him a fat tub of goo (these fools ignored the fact that even if this turned out to be true a tub of goo was an upgrade for us at DT over Edwards at that point). He was honored with a deserved Pro Bowl nod last year so this is definitely a not obvious to all win by the pro scouting department.

When one adds in the not insubstantial # of FAs who have been good pick-ups like Spikes whom he labels as obvious and then decides to deny the pro scouting department any credit for doing the correct thing (obvious or not), tge folks he forgets like Fletcher and Adams who worked out, a few guys like Lawrence Smith who were not starter quality but paid at reserve levels and thank gosh we had them after Pacillo and Sullivan imploded, and also do the other job of the pro personnel people which is to judge whether their are replacements available and if not encorages the front office to lock up a Schobel. McGee and Crowell, the pro scouting department does not look like one of our many big problems on this team.

It would be nice if a look at the facts supported the opinion laid out.

Now, I've been one of the biggest TD bashers around, and couldn't be happier that he's gone.  But his draft record is actually above average relative to other GMs.  It is my understanding that one Asst GM handles college scouting (Modrak) and the other handles pro personnel evaluation (Guy).

I understand the duties of Guy to be evaluating players on other NFL rosters and recommending we sign them.  Well if this is the case, we may be worse off at this position than just about any team in football. 

You or I could have made the call to sign TKO, Adams, Milloy etc.  Its not that difficult.  The real meat and potatoes of this position should be identifying and signing guys who are undervalued and who will excel in your system.  Not the high-priced guys, but the value guys. 

We used to be able to do this very well.  We signed nobodies who became stars (Tasker) and decent players who became superstars (Paup).  Who has Guy signed at this level?  Posey, Teague, Bennie Anderson, Villarial, Shelton, Gandy, Moorman/Lindell...and thats about it.  Thats a sorry group of players with the exception of Shelton and the kickers.

I admit I never heard of many of these guys when we signed them, but was always hoping that the team knew what they were doing and these guys would make an impact in our system. 

Now, I think thats the Pats competitive advantage over everyone else.  They sign a value player and he becomes an excellent player to almost a star, for the most part.  We do it and get spare parts.

560402[/snapback]

Moorman was found by Modrak/Donahoe, I am pretty sure. At any rate, he was brought in as an UDFA, not as a street free agent from some other team's camp.

JDG

Moorman was found by Modrak/Donahoe, I am pretty sure.  At any rate, he was brought in as an UDFA, not as a street free agent from some other team's camp.

JDG

560635[/snapback]

Moorman was an UDFA signed by the Seahawks, allocated to NFL Europe, and picked up by the Bills

How soon people forget Fletcher.  He certainly was not a star in St Louis but has become one for Buffalo.

560581[/snapback]

I thought fletcher was the heart of the Superbowl defense. His last year was the last time they made the Superbowl.

People talking about Lawrence Smith, I think, proves the point that there really haven't been any free agent finds.

• 2 weeks later...
/dev/null wants to know which Guy you're talking about?

This guy?

That guy?

Which guy?

:doh:

Reading about somone named Guy is almost as painful reading about someone talking in 3rd person

560408[/snapback]

Buddy Guy?

The Guy?

Sorry, mid afternoon humor :doh: