Which is more critical

scribo

I think the Bills would have won more this year if they are a better line on either side of the ball, but I think the D-line's failures were more detrimental overall this year. The 2005 Bills banked everything on the defense being able to stop the run when it mattered, and they couldn’t even stop the run even when it didn’t matter.

That said, I think the offensive line is usually more important, but even if the Bills somehow build the league’s best O-line, they won’t make the playoffs until they fix the D-line.

Which should the Bills direct more of their salary cap toward? I was just wondering what the great football minds here think.

Far from a great football mind, but I say defense. Our line was unable to stop the run thus allowing opposing offenses to control the ball, the clock and the game. An offensive line, with play calling devised around their strengths (whatever it may be) is easier to fix than a porous defensive line. This being said, that is very difficult and intriguing question you propose.

I think the Bills would have won more this year if they are a better line on either side of the ball, but I think the D-line's failures were more detrimental overall this year. The 2005 Bills banked everything on the defense being able to stop the run when it mattered, and they couldn’t even stop the run even when it didn’t matter.

That said, I think the offensive line is usually more important, but even if the Bills somehow build the league’s best O-line, they won’t make the playoffs until they fix the D-line.

Which should the Bills direct more of their salary cap toward? I was just wondering what the great football minds here think.

559716[/snapback]

Very good post. It is hard to gauge which was more important for the Bills last season because JP hasn't yet proven that he can play the quarterback position, good OL or bad. Handing him the job with no competition was an act of stupidity that continues to boggle my mind.

In terms of cap allocation, remember that there are 5 men on the OL; 4 on the DL.

Schobel is locked up at a very reasonable figure when measured against his production at his highly paid position. Adams is old, whining and overpaid, and the other tackles are sub-par. Kelsay is hard for me to rate, and Denney (a great backup) is a ufa. It is safe to say that they need a ton of help, especially at DT.

As for the OL, Peters looks like a very good prospect, and he costs next to nothing. CV is old and injured and it showed this year. Teague is a ufa and an ineffective OC. Bennie is a poor football player, and Gandy is not a quality LT by any stretch of the imagination. MW is just a waste.

So.....it looks to me as if we need at least 2 players on the DL, and as many as 4 on the offensive side. Maybe 3, but it concerns me that Preston was not given much playing time with these stiffs on the team. Why not?

Unless Peters is moved to LT, it is going to cost huge money to fill that spot. We have an absolute need for a starting LG as well.

To answer your question, I think that it will cost considerably more money/cap space to overhaul the OL, if of course Levy plans to do so.

When I first read this thread, my knee jerk reaction was O-line because it has stunk so bad for so long .......... but upon further review ....

I think with a little "tweeking" added to JP having a little more experiance, considering JP is SUPPOSED to be a bit more mobile than the QBs we've seen lately. I would say just a slight improvement along the O-line will realize a significant improvement.

The D-line however seems to have imploded with the loss of phat Pat. IMHO, we either have to reasses our D-line philosophy because of our loss of Pat which pretty much rendered Sam ineffective ..... thereby "honking up" our LB corps (TKOs injury didn't help either). Orrrrrrrrrrr luck out and find a replacement for Pat that compliments Sam.

I really don't know which line will take more tweeking ..... but the tweeks to the D-line are more critical, and more chancy.

both are important

great OL men and very very rare, rarer than great d linemen

d linemen are much less consistent tho.

a solid O lineman is fairly common, a solid DT is rare enough to cost about 4 or 5 bucks for one who plays about half the downs.

an O line takes a lot to gell and play well together. a d line thrives on chaos and rotations work well in keeping them fresh without destroying chemistry.

i think we need about 2 new starters on each line, and can get that this offseason.

it would only take a couple quality guys to really improve both our D and our O

i think you go into free agency knowing you have to address OT, OG or C (depending on where preston plays), DT, and possibly DE.......you also know that you have the draft to fall back on, with the chances of landing 1 player in the #8 hole who can immediately step in and fill one those roles very high......

based on that, you attack free agency by weighing the needs equally and looking for the best fit (considering the cap, playing style, etc)....if we fill a need (or needs) on the DL, we can look at OL.......if we fill a need (or needs) on the OL, we can look at DL.......we have some flexiablity here, which is very benefical because your not always going to get the free agents you target.......you need a plan b, and c, and d.........

i think you go into free agency knowing you have to address OT, OG or C (depending on where preston plays), DT, and possibly DE.......you also know that you have the draft to fall back on, with the chances of landing 1 player in the #8 hole who can immediately step in and fill one those roles very high......

based on that, you attack free agency by weighing the needs equally and looking for the best fit (considering the cap, playing style, etc)....if we fill a need (or needs) on the DL, we can look at OL.......if we fill a need (or needs) on the OL, we can look at DL.......we have some flexiablity here, which is very benefical because your not always going to get the free agents you target.......you need a plan b, and c, and d.........

559848[/snapback]

Why is it a given that a 5th round pick (Preston) is good enough to start next year? With that logic, Geisinger will be starting as well.

Well, let's look at it.

The best defensive line in football is the Panthers (arguably), they are strong going into the Divisional Playoff round!

The best offensive line in football is the Chiefs (a little less arguably), they are sitting home.

Maybe that answers your question.

Well, let's look at it.

The best defensive line in football is the Panthers (arguably), they are strong going into the Divisional Playoff round!

The best offensive line in football is the Chiefs (a little less arguably), they are sitting home.

Maybe that answers your question.

559951[/snapback]

One could say the Colts have the best offensive line in football as well.

It's been so long since the Bills have had an above average OL that I've forgotten what one looks like. At the same time, the previous regime has already invested in "high-motor" guys who have not shown an ability to be dominate against both the pass and run.

In the end, I think great coaching can turn an average OL into a productive one (ex. Colts), while great athletes are more impactful to make plays on the DL. I favor making the D as dominant as possible, especially since other parts (ex. secondary) are getting older and may also change due to FA losses).

Why is it a given that a 5th round pick (Preston) is good enough to start next year? With that logic, Geisinger will be starting as well.

559944[/snapback]

actually, he was a 4th round pick.........but that is besides the point.......

i am expecting preston to start at either LG or C based on how well he played in relief this season (especially against miami).......with a full off-season in the program to dive into the playbook and get his body ready, one of those jobs will be his to lose.......and i expect him to grab the opportunity and run with it, just like he did when asked to play this season......

not sure why you are comparing him to geisinger, as he was inactive for most games.........

Side note:

The dline can be fixed with one possible move. One big man in the middle next to Williams will solve the problem there. Also allowing the linebacking corps to roam a lil more than they did this year and be more disruptive.

On the other side of the line wow what a mess.

I'd go with offense first as it takes longer for those guys to devleop. In addition as the season wore down Anderson was starting to come on. And if you do bring Adams back, then not in terrible shape there. On offense, you need as many as two new players plus likely to start Preston as a third new starter. Maybe you move Williams to guard, then need one new one.

I think this will be answered by who they can sign as a free agent.

Wow...which is more serious, Ebola virus or arterial bleeding? The O-line is awful and gave us the worst offense imaginable. The Defensive ends are good (Schobel) to mediocre (Denney) with one fairly good defensive tackle (Adams). Further the linebackers can compensate somewhat for a weak defensive line. I'll hold my nose and say its the offensive line, but not far ahead of the defensive line. The defensive line will be mediocre with the addition of a defensive tackle. The o-line needs about three starters to approach mediocre.

Show me a team that stops the run and can also run the ball, and I'll show you a playoff and Super Bowl contender! Stopping the pass and offensively throwing it become easier with proficiancy in the run game(s). The point is that BOTH lines are important!! Look what Carolina did, and they don't have their best lineman in Kris Jenkins! They run and stop the run...... 23-0!

Show me a team that stops the run and can also run the ball, and I'll show you a playoff and Super Bowl contender! Stopping the pass and offensively throwing it become easier with proficiancy in the run game(s). The point is that BOTH lines are important!! Look what Carolina did, and they don't have their best lineman in Kris Jenkins! They run and stop the run...... 23-0!

560076[/snapback]

i think mr. peppers would object to that statement.........along with the majority of football fans.......