This board has become disgusting with the age

The game never passed him by- we reached the point in the cycle that we were losing players, and starting to lose games. The gameNEVER- EVER passed Levy by.

He was not outcoached in the Superbowls- we were beaten by several hall of fame players, or near hall of fame players. Its merely convenient to blame him for the losses, and give the players credit for the wins, but thats not accurate,no matter how much Marv wanted us to believe that.

557238[/snapback]

It is entirely possible for a team to have lesser players and be outcoached you know. marv was outcoached in all four Super Bowls. I have little doubt about that. I personally feel that the first one was the only one that we clearly had the better team, and we lost because we were outcoached, and we missed a FG. But the Giants had the lesser team and outcoached the better team and won, so what was our excuse in the three ensuing games? Not to mention that we had as many good players and stars IMO that the teams that were allegedly better than us had, which may have meant the difference was coaching, but I digress. :w00t:

I view this completely different..both the age and the Marv competency issue. There are several ways to be an effective leader..but two main ones. One is either a doer--excellent at performance and is a display to others or one is an aggregator excellent at making all the pieces fit together to make a winning team.

I am not sure Marv has ever been the lead executor, the game planner, the individual game strategy maker--he has always been a great visionary and an aggregator--a person who sets the parameters of the overall vision and then gets the most out of those around him as they work toward that goal. He does this by creating a teamwork culture where risk taking, lauding of great performance, high characther, constructive feedback, open communication are all embraced. He is the ultimate manager, delegator, cheerleader and overall visionary -- but the details are left to others with Marv's oversight and final approval.

I am confident he will succeed in this role if Modrak is truly into his role and motivated and if Mularkey has learned from this year. I think Marv will make both of them better.

I have no fear about Marv's age being a deterrent here...I have much trepidation about Modrak and Mularkey being able to perform their execution roles under Marv's leadership.

As an aside--I think Donahoe tried to be everything to everybody--lead executor and lead aggregator--sometimes it works but it takes a very special personality. Most times those who are excellent executors have little tolerance or paitience to lead others who they always view as somewhat less competent...and treat them that way..

It is entirely possible for a team to have lesser players and be outcoached you know. marv was outcoached in all four Super Bowls. I have little doubt about that. I personally feel that the first one was the only one that we clearly had the better team, and we lost because we were outcoached, and we missed a FG. But the Giants had the lesser team and outcoached the better team and won, so what was our excuse in the three ensuing games? Not to mention that we had as many good players and stars IMO that the teams that were allegedly better than us had, which may have meant the difference was coaching, but I digress.  :w00t:

557253[/snapback]

Well, Kelly had the freedom to go pass or run based on the defense- so what other coaching move cost us against the Giants. Should Levy have demonstrated to Talley and company how to make a tackle in that game- thats what cost us.

Washington clearly dominated our defense.

Dallas was a better team- although we made a good showing early in both games

8 years or so ago Marv was run out of town because the belief was the game had passed him by.  Now after out of the game for that time, 8 years older, he's looked at as some messiah to raise the dead.  He was in his early 60's when he was out-coached in 4 SB's.  I think we have been set back at least 3 more years

557159[/snapback]

I like the term set back 3 years. As if 3 years did anything for us 3 years ago. You make it sound like there is some magical progression that we go through every year. There ain't. Many or even most of the players we have on the squad won't be here. Heck you and I might not be here in 3 years.

Right now we are 5-11. In 3 years, I hope we have players that play better.

The guy is probably in better shape than most of the fans. That should not be an issue.

557257[/snapback]

Agreed. I'm nearly 45 years younger than Marv and he's probably in better shape than I am...and that's scary.

Mike

Actually, our game plan in the 4th one was brilliant.  Seriously.  If Thurman doesn't fumble going in for the TD and we take a 20-6 lead, instead of it being tied at 13, I think we win that one.

557282[/snapback]

As long as "going in for the TD" means crossing midfield, since that's where we were when the fumble happened.

Marv isn't supposed to work 15 hour days. The OC and DC are supposed to work 15 hours a day game planning. The HC approves or adds input to the game plan. The GM shouldn't even be involved in the game planning. If he is it signals that we have the wrong OC, DC and HC.

Then the GM should fire the coaches and hire people to do the job correctly.

Marv should be putting 7 or 8 hour days at the most.

557141[/snapback]

"It's a difficult job, as you know," Polian, 63, said. "We don't work eight-hour days. We don't work five-day weeks. And people have concerns about that and it's legitimate. But you'd have to know Marv's constitution, how he lives his life, to understand that age isn't an issue with him as it might be with someone else."

Leo Roth

Now tell me again about quality and quantity? I yearn to hear more of your wisdom.

"It's a difficult job, as you know," Polian, 63, said. "We don't work eight-hour days. We don't work five-day weeks. And people have concerns about that and it's legitimate. But you'd have to know Marv's constitution, how he lives his life, to understand that age isn't an issue with him as it might be with someone else."

Leo Roth

Now tell me again about quality and quantity?  I yearn to hear more of your wisdom.

558886[/snapback]

I don't think Levy would accept the job if he wasn't willing and able to put the work and hours in. Could you see hiim taking a job, and slacking off? I think we'll be in for a down year, as we retool the team.....and I think this team has several tools on it! :unsure:

I don't think Levy would accept the job if he wasn't willing and able to put the work and hours in. Could you see hiim taking a job, and slacking off? I think we'll be in for a down year, as we retool the team.....and I think this team has several tools on it! :unsure:

558889[/snapback]

I agree that Marv wouldn't take the job if he didn't think he was up to it. My initial comment was in reference to him having to work less than an eight hour day.