Where does this Marv was GM in Montreal

Wilson could be more selective in the replacement process this time. Marv Levy, the Bills' Hall of Fame former coach, is 80 but that old line about "age is only a number" actually applies to him. He's still as sharp as anyone working in the NFL, a superb organizer who remains current with the game by working on the Chicago Bears' broadcast team. He's also had experience as a GM, serving the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian League in that capacity just before he came to Buffalo.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060101/1060642.asp

I have seen posts claiming that Marv was a GM in the Canadian League and has some experience, but I don't see it anywhere. His own website doesn't mention it. He seems to have been a coach and only a coach, excluding broadcasting.

http://www.marvlevy.net/marv/biography.html

555374[/snapback]

http://www.jewsinsports.org/profile.asp?sport=football&ID=10

So he coached in Chicago the entire year of 1985. Took a job as Director of Football operations (not GM) sometime in 1986 in Montreal and that same fall, 1986, became coach of the Bills. I don't think he spent much time as an administrator or GM in Canada.

Keep nit picking guys.

I for one will think that Marv will do a much better job. He knows this team needs help on the lines. Plus the work atmosphere wont be soooo stiffy with him around. I think its a great move.

555494[/snapback]

What nit-picking? The Dog just asked a simple question...was he ever a GM? The answer seems to be "no".

I think he may work out fine for awhile. He certainly could be a mentor to MM and should bring back some of the "internal respect" this team seems to lack. I don't think he's a long-term solution...but he could help right the ship, IMO.

So he coached in Chicago the entire year of 1985. Took a job as Director of Football operations (not GM) sometime in 1986 in Montreal and that same fall, 1986, became coach of the Bills. I don't think he spent much time as an administrator or GM in Canada.

555487[/snapback]

You're right, the stint as head of football ops was a short one. But the HC in the CFL plays a much bigger role in putting the team together than in the NFL.

Take a look at the CURRENT front office and coaching staffs of the Allouttes:

Front Office

Coaching Staff

Here's an interesting article on how Marv met Bill Polian. Sounds like he had a lot of input on player selection while he was coaching the Allouttes:

http://69.84.36.14/index.php?Category=27&I...00&endYear=2001

Polian was in his early 30s, in love with football (he played at New York University) but working for a farm newspaper when he landed a scouting job with the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes.

“I hadn’t even met him, but his scouting reports started coming in,’’ said Levy, who was Montreal’s head coach. “I said, ‘Who’s writing these? Man, are they good.’ ”

Levy arranged a meeting, and the two hit it off.

You're right, the stint as head of football ops was a short one.  But the HC in the CFL plays a much bigger role in putting the team together than in the NFL.

Take a look at the CURRENT front office and coaching staffs of the Allouttes:

Front Office

Coaching Staff

Here's an interesting article on how Marv met Bill Polian.  Sounds like he had a lot of input on player selection while he was coaching the Allouttes:

http://69.84.36.14/index.php?Category=27&I...00&endYear=2001

Polian was in his early 30s, in love with football (he played at New York University) but working for a farm newspaper when he landed a scouting job with the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes.

“I hadn’t even met him, but his scouting reports started coming in,’’ said Levy, who was Montreal’s head coach. “I said, ‘Who’s writing these? Man, are they good.’ ”

Levy arranged a meeting, and the two hit it off.

555525[/snapback]

I'm willing to give Marv a chance, although I hold my reservations. And I am basing it ONLY on the fact that when I have heard him speak two dozen times in the last few years, he didnt come across to me sharp and insightful like he used to, but rather pedestrian due to his age. But did you really just compliment him and say that he sounds like he has a lot of input on player selection because he reads his own scouts reports? And thinks one guy's, Bill friggin' Polian no less, stands out as really good compared to the others? :lol:

Keep nit picking guys.

I for one will think that Marv will do a much better job. He knows this team needs help on the lines. Plus the work atmosphere wont be soooo stiffy with him around. I think its a great move.

555494[/snapback]

maybe he will bring back Joe Panos, Jerry Ostrowski and Corbin Lacina

But did you really just compliment him and say that he sounds like he has a lot of input on player selection because he reads his own scouts reports? And thinks one guy's, Bill friggin' Polian no less, stands out as really good compared to the others?  :lol:

555539[/snapback]

Sounds to me like he's open to new ideas and works hard to find whatever info can help him do the job.

Polian had NO credibility as a scout when Marv started to buy his and his brother's reports (Polian was almost like Mel Kiper in that his reports were a moonlighting gig). A guy worried about his rep or who's convinced he's an expert would have passed on talking to an amature like Polian.

Sounds to me like he's open to new ideas and works hard to find whatever info can help him do the job.   

Polian had NO credibility as a scout when Marv started to buy his and his brother's reports (Polian was almost like Mel Kiper in that his reports were a moonlighting gig).  A guy worried about his rep or who's convinced he's an expert would have passed on talking to an amature like Polian.

555562[/snapback]

Unless, of course, the reports just happened to stand out because they were written by a guy who would eventually become the best GM in the biggest sport in the country. :lol: And I would bet that a ton of, if not all GMs in the league read Mel Kiper's reports. They may soon toss them in the trash, but if they stood out like I am assuming Bill Polian's stood out compared to the rest of the professional and non-professional scouts in the CFL, I bet some GM right now would be saying, "Gee, Wally! These are pretty good!"

I have seen posts claiming that Marv was a GM in the Canadian League and has some experience, but I don't see it anywhere. His own website doesn't mention it. He seems to have been a coach and only a coach, excluding broadcasting.

http://www.marvlevy.net/marv/biography.html

555374[/snapback]

JESUS H. CHRIST!

Marv Levy's JEWISH!!!??!! :D

He certainly could be a mentor to MM and should bring back some of the "internal respect" this team seems to lack.

555519[/snapback]

I see the parallels to Don Zimmer, who combined with Clueless Joe Torre to form a championship managerial team. I can see it now, Marv behind MM on the sidelines getting all worked up, with Meathead mouth agape trying to respire. I can see Marv getting rolled by Bruschi.

Marv really should get on the sidelines with Meathead. There is such a small chance of this "fresh start" working that the very least they could do is guarantee us some entertainment.

I see the parallels to Don Zimmer, who combined with Clueless Joe Torre to form a championship managerial team.  I can see it now, Marv behind MM on the sidelines getting all worked up, with Meathead mouth agape trying to respire.  I can see Marv getting rolled by Bruschi.

Marv really should get on the sidelines with Meathead.  There is such a small chance of this "fresh start" working that the very least they could do is guarantee us some entertainment.

556483[/snapback]

Wow if you see parellels between Don (worst/dumbest baseball manager EVER) Zimmer and Marv, you need glasses. (The joke among some Red Sox fans when he tried to hit Pedro was "he did enough damage to the Sox when he was their manager")

MM clearly needs help. Marv has been a terrific mentor and teacher for many years. This situation may not work, but it is in no way doomed to failure.

Let's be clear about our expectations. i don't think they're going to win the Super Bowl next year, but the Bills are in a deep dark hole after this season. As deep a hole as the days when they got 1 and 2 wins. Chuck Knox turned that around by changing the culture of the team and turning a disorganized mess into a professional football team. No way was Ground Chuck ever goint to win the Big One (is he MArty Shottenheimer's dad?)...but he made the Bills a respectable football team. In the age of free-agency this is even more important as players have some choice of where they want to play.

This team has lost it's way. I doubt we could get the head coah we really want or the free agents

we need. Marv is a man that can certainly turn that around. Here's what I expect:

A team that carries itself with pride w/o all the internal bulls#it that went on this year

Respect between players and coaches and the front office

A team that plays HARD for 60 minutes

A clear philosphy with regard to playing style and getting the players who match the style (or vise-versa)

An end to the QB confusion. (Not saying there may be more than 1 QB starting next year...but, we'll know why and how/when/why the change will be made back)

More than 5 wins

I don't think this is a long-term solution. But, I think it might be necessary for this team to get good enough to implement the long-term solution.

I see the parallels to Don Zimmer, who combined with Clueless Joe Torre to form a championship managerial team.  I can see it now, Marv behind MM on the sidelines getting all worked up, with Meathead mouth agape trying to respire.  I can see Marv getting rolled by Bruschi.

Marv really should get on the sidelines with Meathead.  There is such a small chance of this "fresh start" working that the very least they could do is guarantee us some entertainment.

556483[/snapback]

weak, badol. you're capable of better than this ...