O'Reilly on Letterman

minor detail, I don't watch O'Reilly either but have read transcripts of his "best moments" from time to time.  Anyone who watches the Daily Show certainly has seen plenty of clips of him in action to reach the same conclusion Lettermen did.  Neither you nor I are aware of what sources Dave had for reaching that conclusion and in a brief talk show interview, I certainly don't expect a bibliography.  What he did say could cover sources from the internet, to transcripts put together by his staff to clips on the Daily Show.

In the end, no matter how unsound his sources, he reached the correct conclusion.

I like when he said:  "60%...I'm just spitballing here".  So he was clear that this was just an estimate and on that basis, I withdraw my earlier criticism of Lettermen that a more accurate figure would be well over 60%. :doh:

555028[/snapback]

I'll remember that sources are not important the next time you criticize the lack of a source in your argument on this board (no need for a bibliography in a quick post, right?). In your mind, it is OK to blindly repeat what you hear as long as it fits your agenda. Got it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i read these same arguments yesterday.  if it was clear Letterman was trying to be funny it would be one thing.  if he came out and did 5 minutes of material on O'Reilly in his monolouge i don't think people would have as much of a problem with it.

but he was trying to ambush a guest. 

it was amateurish.  and i expect better from Letteman.

554998[/snapback]

Once again, you conservatives have no sense of humor at all.

Lettermen "ambush" O'Reilly? I've seen him get rougher with Cher. Besides, O'Reilly by now must expect the looney, mean spirited, self laudatory stuff he says on his show to be brought up whenever he dares to venture out of the Fox womb. If he thought they were just going to share a cigar then he is a bigger idiot than I thought.

Poor, poor wittle Billy O'Reilly, let us all weep for the plucky little fellow. If you are going to make a living being a national dick, you can't really complain when you are treated as one.

I'll remember that sources are not important the next time you criticize the lack of a source in your argument on this board (no need for a bibliography in a quick post, right?). In your mind, it is OK to blindly repeat what you hear as long as it fits your agenda. Got it.

555033[/snapback]

Blindly repeat=reading transcripts???

blindly repeat=seeing clips from the show???

Wisecrack on talk show=written political debate on site devoted to same?????

You really say the silliest things sometimes. Did you really have an expectation that a TV talkshow host would provide an list of sources, complete with links to the information first hand inorder to make a laugh getting wisecrack?

Interesting position you are taking, that if I give a comedian a pass for not footnoting a joke, I can't complain about the lack of sources in a factual debate on public policy. Yeah, makes sense.

Oh wait, I get it: mickey=bad

Okay, I get your point.

Blindly repeat=reading transcripts???

blindly repeat=seeing clips from the show???

Wisecrack on talk show=written political debate on site devoted to same?????

You really say the silliest things sometimes.  Did you really have an expectation that a TV talkshow host would provide an list of sources, complete with links to the information first hand inorder to make a laugh getting wisecrack?

Interesting position you are taking, that if I give a comedian a pass for not footnoting a joke, I can't complain about the lack of sources in a factual debate on public policy.  Yeah, makes sense.

Oh wait, I get it: mickey=bad

Okay, I get your point.

555042[/snapback]

You are so cute when you are upset. Whaaaaa...DL tried to rip a conservative and failed....whaaaaaa...he should be given a pass because he tried to rip a conservative...whaaaa...why can't you people see the big picture, he tried to rip a conservative.

Wow. I can't believe you are so desperate for anything against conservatives that you are willing to fabricate something out of nothing. You have sunk to a new low.

Once again, you conservatives have no sense of humor at all.

Lettermen "ambush" O'Reilly?  I've seen him get rougher with Cher.  Besides, O'Reilly by now must expect the looney, mean spirited, self laudatory stuff he says on his show to be brought up whenever he dares to venture out of the Fox womb.  If he thought they were just going to share a cigar then he is a bigger idiot than I thought.

Poor, poor wittle Billy O'Reilly, let us all weep for the plucky little fellow.  If you are going to make a living being a national dick, you can't really complain when you are treated as one.

555035[/snapback]

you are circling the drain on this argument.

it is kinda fun to watch.

:doh: .....see.....I have a sense of humor!

you are circling the drain on this argument.

it is kinda fun to watch. 

:D    .....see.....I have a sense of humor!

555095[/snapback]

It is like watching a fish flop around on the deck of a boat. :doh:

Funny, he complains about conservatives not having a sense of humor, but he gets his panties in a massive wad whenever someone posts a joke targeted at Democrats. The "do as I say, not as I do" approach. :(

It is like watching a fish flop around on the deck of a boat.  :(

Funny, he complains about conservatives not having a sense of humor, but he gets his panties in a massive wad whenever someone posts a joke targeted at Democrats. The "do as I say, not as I do" approach.  :D

555120[/snapback]

I usually don't get too upset when two people whose opinion I don't value (O'Reilly, Letterman) get into this kind of thing. :D Now if it was Chris Rock and Tucker Carlson, that would be different. :doh:

This is ALWAYS my favorite loony-ism.

"He's so 'mean-spirited'. Gosh! I wish he wouldn't say such mean things!"

What are you liberals? Sheltered from reality? The world is a mean and cruel place. Get over it, already.

555166[/snapback]

No, you have to remember:

Mean spirited attacks against conservatives = good

Mean spirited attacks against liberals = bad

Ha!  I only read the Newsbusters link but the OGM comments are hilarious!  People who hate O'Reilly must really be desperate for a "win" against him if they consider that a victory.  Letterman just kept saying "Why are we there?  Why are we there?" and finally admitted he'd never watched O'Reilly's show after saying he had a feeling that 60% (?) of what BO'R said was BS.  Nice debate, I guess.  Finally someone who sounds less informed than Kanye West (and admits it).

I like Letterman's show more than O'Reilly's by far and I considered that the biggest embarassment for Dave ever (worse than the Oscars).  Do your homework, treat your guests like guests, or retire.

553264[/snapback]

O'Reilly is a conservative talk show host. I'm not sure I've heard many conservative talk show hosts where less than 60% of what they say is BS. I'd make the same observation about what little liberal talk show hosts I've heard.

Oh, the irony.

555231[/snapback]

The irony's so !@#$ing thick it can be cut with a knife.

Mickey, I thought you "don't laugh at insults"? But when Letterman tells O'Reilly that three-fifths of his show is crap, now you have a sense of humor?

Mickey, let me say this: 80% of your posts are crap. Did I just insult you or not?

Mickey, I thought you "don't laugh at insults"?  But when Letterman tells O'Reilly that three-fifths of his show is crap, now you have a sense of humor? 

Mickey, let me say this: 80% of your posts are crap.  Did I just insult you or not?

555926[/snapback]

you mean spirited SOB!

Mickey, I thought you "don't laugh at insults"?  But when Letterman tells O'Reilly that three-fifths of his show is crap, now you have a sense of humor? 

Mickey, let me say this: 80% of your posts are crap.  Did I just insult you or not?

555926[/snapback]

That's not an insult. It's an informed opinion as long as you read a transcript or two and maybe watched a clip that Jon Stewart showed you.

:lol:

Unbelievable, you guys are all weeping for poor little Billy O'Reilly because he went on Lettermen and Dave made a joke at his expense. Gee, how shocking, I mean, who could have seen that coming.

When Dave and Bill start posting here and come up with a joke/insult that they repeats a few thousand times and then pretend that its just a joke, then I would see the connection between my complaints about that and this situation.

You guys do realize that we are not on a television show and what might be funny or amusing on TV, might not be appropriate behaviour among adults who, given the post stats on this board, talk to eachother every day, in real life?

I guess not.