Ravens to fire Ozzie Newsome?

Simon

Over the last 4 years, Newsome's teams have lost exactly one less game than Donahoe's teams.

Over that span they haven't won a single playoff game.

Since they finished 6-10 this year, I think the Ravens should send Newsome packing.

He sucks and he's a failure.

Over the last 4 years, Newsome's teams have lost exactly one less game than Donahoe's teams.

Since they finished 6-10 this year, I think the Ravens should send Newsome packing.

550503[/snapback]

Heres a napkin to wipe off that sarcasm!! :D

550503[/snapback]

since we're comparing, how about the last five seasons (the number of years donohoe has been in buffalo)? also, you pretty much get a few years grace period if you win a super bowl, which they did 6 seasons ago ...

In an amazing twist to the Jessica Savage story in Cleveland, now he stays in his position and the guy that was going to shittcan him gets shittcanned. Looks like Mort was right both times.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2278785

550510[/snapback]

No Collins was looking for a scapegoat to save his own job, and there is no way an organization such as the Browns would allow that. Savage is an elite GM

550503[/snapback]

Precisely. I mean, after all, he's been there in that role since the team arrived from Cleveland, and they haven't made the playoffs yet, not to mention the pathetic way Ozzie has neglected the offensive line.

It's one thing if his moves would've panned out and they would've done something freaky, like, say, have a record-setting defense lead them to a Super Bowl title, but...

since we're comparing, how about the last five seasons (the number of years donohoe has been in buffalo)?

I'd have gone 5 seasons if I thought Donahoe had anytrhing to do with the mess that John Butler left before he ran off to California.

Precisely. I mean, after all, he's been there in that role since the team arrived from Cleveland, and they haven't made the playoffs yet, not to mention the pathetic way Ozzie has neglected the offensive line.

It's one thing if his moves would've panned out and they would've done something freaky, like, say, have a record-setting defense lead them to a Super Bowl title, but...

Wait, are you suggesting that we should actually consider what a guy has done in the past before he's sent packing?! Or that somebody who's been succesful before might actually be succesful again?!?!

So if we can count Ozzie's work from way back when, then should we also take into account Donahoe's 5 division titles(more than Newsome's), all his playoff wins(more than Newsome has), multiple conferencechampionship games(more than Newsome's teams) and superbowl appearances(exactly as many as Newsome)?

Or should we embrace Newsome's history while ignroing Donahoes, because maybe Newsome's recent failures haven't had teh same kind of emotional effect on us? I for one sure hope the Bills make a rash, emotional decision instead of taking everything into account.

I'd have gone 5 seasons if I thought Donahoe had anytrhing to do with the mess that John Butler left before he ran off to California.

Wait, are you suggesting that we should actually consider what a guy has done in the past before he's sent packing?! Or that somebody who's been succesful before might actually be succesful again?!?!

So if we can count Ozzie's work from way back when, then should we also take into account Donahoe's 5 division titles(more than Newsome's), all his playoff wins(more than Newsome has), multiple conferencechampionship games(more than Newsome's teams) and superbowl appearances(exactly as many as Newsome)?

Or should we embrace Newsome's history while ignroing Donahoes, because maybe Newsome's recent failures haven't had teh same kind of emotional effect on us? I for one sure hope the Bills make a rash, emotional decision instead of taking everything into account.

550551[/snapback]

simon - could you live with keeping modrak as the gm? he's part of that same success you cite, and moreover was part of philly's recent run of success.

simon - could you live with keeping modrak as the gm? he's part of that same success you cite, and moreover was part of philly's recent run of success.

550563[/snapback]

Actually I don't really have a huge issue with letting Donahoe go. I think he's a good football man and the kind of guy I want around teh Bills front office, but he hasn't gotten it done here and we live in a results-oriented world.

The problem I have with this whole mess is the idea of firing him just to fire someone. To me that is monumentally stupid and counterproductive. If the Bills don't have a truly viable candidate ready to replace him who would actually be an upgrade, then firing him is nothing more than us taking a big step backwards just so we can start all over again and probably be ready to fire somebody else in a few years.

Would Modrak be a suitable replacement? I think he's a good football man too and wouldn't be upset to have him as our GM. But it strikes me as nothing more than a lateral move which only weakens the Bills by removing at least one good front office guy in Donahoe. While I wouldn't like it, I guess I would live with it. That of course assumes that Modrak would even be willing to take the job, which I'm not convinced of yet.

Cya

I guess this means we're done bashing TD. Now we can start on other teams GM's. How sporting. I'm in!

He sucks, fire him!!

550520[/snapback]

Yep, I guess we can't even say other GM's did a bad job. I think half the posters on the board are more sensitive than these GM's themselves after being fired. In the best words ever spoken by Jerry Glanville "This is the N F L which means not for long if you do a poor job. I'm sure Ozzie Newsome and TD are very nice people but the bottom line is wins and losses people. I was fired from a job it's no fun and very hard on your family but they felt I didn't do a good enough job. It happens deal with it. B-)

Yep, I guess we can't even say other GM's did a bad job......I'm sure Ozzie Newsome and TD are very nice people but the bottom line is wins and losses people.

What the !@#$ are you babbling about now?

The Ravens aren't stupid enough to fire Ozzie Newsome, it was a sarcastic comparison.

Yep, I guess we can't even say other GM's did a bad job. I think half the posters on the board are more sensitive than these GM's themselves after being fired. In the best words ever spoken by Jerry Glanville "This is the N F L which means not for long if you do a poor job. I'm sure Ozzie Newsome and TD are very nice people but the bottom line is wins and losses people. I was fired from a job it's no fun and very hard on your family but they felt I didn't do a good enough job. It happens deal with it. :D

550584[/snapback]

Sound and Furry caught the sarcasm, guess you didn't. But thanks for the life lessons. B-)

BTW, nice post simon. I agree with you. :doh:

Just for kicks....

Actually I don't really have a huge issue with letting ___ go. I think he's a good football man and the kind of guy I want around teh Bills ____, but he hasn't gotten it done here and we live in a results-oriented world.

The problem I have with this whole mess is the idea of firing him just to fire someone. To me that is monumentally stupid and counterproductive. If the Bills don't have a truly viable candidate ready to replace him who would actually be an upgrade, then firing him is nothing more than us taking a big step backwards just so we can start all over again and probably be ready to fire somebody else in a few years.

Fill in the blank

A - Wade Phillips

B - Gregg Williams

C - Drew Bledsoe

D - Ronnie Jones B-)

Just for kicks....

Actually I don't really have a huge issue with letting ___  go. I think he's a good football man and the kind of guy I want around teh Bills ____, but he hasn't gotten it done here and we live in a results-oriented world.

The problem I have with this whole mess is the idea of firing him just to fire someone. To me that is monumentally stupid and counterproductive. If the Bills don't  have a truly viable candidate ready to replace him who would actually be an upgrade, then firing him is nothing more than us taking a big step backwards just so we can start all over again and probably be ready to fire somebody else in a few years.

Fill in the blank

A - Wade Phillips

B - Gregg Williams

C - Drew Bledsoe

D - Ronnie Jones  B-)

550613[/snapback]

I'm going to have to go with "A".

550551[/snapback]

Simon, you love to argue. That's cool.

Much like w/ Bledsoe, I tried not to jump the gun on Donahoe. I have watched this team over the past 5 seasons basically tread water. As a loyal fan and season ticket holder, I'm not satisfied. That's just me. Donahoe had a nice run as the person in charge in Pittsburgh. Congrats on that. Unfortunately, his time here in Buffalo has not been as productive. We keep hearing how this is a business, right? Well, if that's the case, then he has to be held accountable for the failings of the team , being the man in charge and all. I know that if my job performance was slipping and my employment @ Social Security was on the line, Uncle Sam isn't going to give a damn about my service record in the USAF (which was quite good, BTW). That's how it goes in business, and I'm sure Donahoe understands that.

Just for kicks....

Actually I don't really have a huge issue with letting ___  go. I think he's a good football man and the kind of guy I want around teh Bills ____, but he hasn't gotten it done here and we live in a results-oriented world.

The problem I have with this whole mess is the idea of firing him just to fire someone. To me that is monumentally stupid and counterproductive. If the Bills don't  have a truly viable candidate ready to replace him who would actually be an upgrade, then firing him is nothing more than us taking a big step backwards just so we can start all over again and probably be ready to fire somebody else in a few years.

Fill in the blank

A - Wade Phillips

B - Gregg Williams

C - Drew Bledsoe

D - Ronnie Jones  B-)

550613[/snapback]

Devils advocate:

So even if the guy absolutely sucks to work with, is terrible with all front office personal, and does a shiitty job with your football team you should keep him around just because there might not be someone available at this exact moment?

What the !@#$ are you babbling about now?

The Ravens aren't stupid enough to fire Ozzie Newsome, it was a sarcastic comparison.

550594[/snapback]

I saw no babble in the man's post.

Sarcasm in screen print over a forum like this has at best a 50/50 chance. Most folks don't get my wonderful, insightful witticisms, and I guess your are in the same boat as me.

Simon, this forum is meant for enjoyment, not slicing and dicing... B-)