Jim Haslett fired by the Saints:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haslett wouldn't be a bad option. People become better at what they do when they like who they work for and I think that applies to football immensely. HC for the Bills is reportedly Haslett's dream job. Give me an employee who believes his job is his dream job and you have just increased the chance of succeeding.

Haslett wouldn't be a bad option.  People become better at what they do when they like who they work for and I think that applies to football immensely.  HC for the Bills is reportedly Haslett's dream job.  Give me an employee who believes his job is his dream job and you have just increased the chance of succeeding.

550242[/snapback]

Does anyone besides me remember all the "ill will" JH generated just this past summer when he accused Kent Hull of taking steroids? (He never named Hull by name, but he said there was an offensive lineman who came in as a rookie who was too light, and the other OL helped him get on "the juice", and he bulked up and became an All-Pro ... and Hull was the only OL who was around when JH was who eventually became an All-Pro. Hull took a HUGE exception to the remarks, told Haslett (via an interview) to stop spreading lies about him through the media, to come try telling him that to his face, etc, etc ... very "bad blood".

I just can't imagine after that that JH will ever be welcomed back to OBD. He's pretty much burned that bridge, IMHO.

GO BILLS!

I'd love to bring Haslett on as DC...I'm hoping Gray goes to Houston so we don't have to fire him. It was amazing how our defense became completely unable to adjust on the fly after Dick LeBeau left town.

I'm on the record as wanting Wyche to be our OC but I'd be OK with Mike Sherman too, he's another WCO guy which melds well with Mularkey (I think he's staying). He made Ahman Green into a Pro-Bowl back and he is definetly committed to running the ball. He got 600 yards out of Samkon Gado for cripes sake.

Does anyone besides me remember all the "ill will" JH generated just this past summer when he accused Kent Hull of taking steroids?  (He never named Hull by name, but he said there was an offensive lineman who came in as a rookie who was too light, and the other OL helped him get on "the juice", and he bulked up and became an All-Pro ... and Hull was the only OL who was around when JH was who eventually became an All-Pro.  Hull took a HUGE exception to the remarks, told Haslett (via an interview) to stop spreading lies about him through the media, to come try telling him that to his face, etc, etc ... very "bad blood". 

I just can't imagine after that that JH will ever be welcomed back to OBD.  He's pretty much burned that bridge, IMHO.

GO BILLS!

550257[/snapback]

I thought that too immediately. Then I thought to myself, which of these two things is more likely to be true?

1] Jim Haslett never saw or knew or heard Kent Hull do any kind of steroids,, and then 15 years later, just makes up a story about a beloved Hall of Famer that publicly accuses that player of doing something illegal and heinous that forever puts a dark mark on that player's exemplary career.

2] Jim Haslett saw or knew or heard from a reliable source that Kent Hull took steroids, and then Kent Hull, who has never had any marks on his career or person, publicly threw a fit that someone had the nerve to bring this up for no reason or to sell a book. And, oh, by the way, make every effort in the world to say he never did such a thing and Haslett is a liar.

Personally, even though I have more respect for Kent Hull than Jim Haslett, I think #2 is much, much, mych more likely to have happened than #1.

I thought that too immediately. Then I thought to myself, which of these two things is more likely to be true?

1] Jim Haslett never saw or knew or heard Kent Hull do any kind of steroids,, and then 15 years later, just makes up a story about a beloved Hall of Famer that publicly accuses that player of doing something illegal and heinous that forever puts a dark mark on that player's exemplary career.

2] Jim Haslett saw or knew or heard from a reliable source that Kent Hull took steroids, and then Kent Hull, who has never had any marks on his career or person, publicly threw a fit that someone had the nerve to bring this up for no reason or to sell a book. And, oh, by the way, make every effort in the world to say he never did such a thing and Haslett is a liar.

Personally, even though I have more respect for Kent Hull than Jim Haslett, I think #2 is much, much, mych more likely to have happened than #1.

550604[/snapback]

Still, why rat on your teammate, especially 15 years after the fact? As Al Pacino said in Scent of a Woman, "You're building a rat ship here. A vessel for sea going snitches!" That is the team I want.

This topic was brought up a couple weeks ago before it was announced that JH was fired and it was fairly evenly split. I personally would like to see someone with a little better track record if the Bills get rid of Mularkey. I don't think Haslett is an upgrade at this point. He's had some decent teams with the Saints and they have underachieved or choked late in the saeason. Teams typically reflect the personality of their coach unless he's hated. Since he's been there awhile, I don't think that's the case. I'll give him points for enthusiasm for wanting to coach the Bills, but I think there are better coaches out there to chose from.

There definitely need to be changes made, but unless they can get an established coach, I think Mularkey desrves another year to see if he can pull this team out of this mess. If next year is no better or marginally better, then it's time to make a coaching change. I don't know who's decision it was, but there are going to be growing pains when handing the reigns over to Losman.

Still, why rat on your teammate, especially 15 years after the fact? As Al Pacino said in Scent of a Woman, "You're building a rat ship here. A vessel for sea going snitches!" That is the team I want.

550635[/snapback]

I agree. I don't think he should have done it at all. There isn't really a good reason to. Especially because Hull seems like such a good guy. Haslett wasn't under oath at a senate hearing. Still, I would object to anyone thinking that we shouldn't hire him because he lied about our hero. It was probably true, just unnecessary.

I agree. I don't think he should have done it at all. There isn't really a good reason to. Especially because Hull seems like such a good guy. Haslett wasn't under oath at a senate hearing. Still, I would object to anyone thinking that we shouldn't hire him because he lied about our hero. It was probably true, just unnecessary.

550707[/snapback]

it may be the case that haslett didn't think he was doing anything wrong, because he assumed that everyone knows that offensive linemen were ridiculously 'roided up in the 80s. hell, i knew that -- it's common knowledge. they're not anymore, because they juice up on hgh in college, where they don't get tested, and then come into the pros already ridiculously (indeed inhumanly) huge.

that said, he shouldn't have singled anyone out.

it may be the case that haslett didn't think he was doing anything wrong, because he assumed that everyone knows that offensive linemen were ridiculously 'roided up in the 80s. hell, i knew that -- it's common knowledge. they're not anymore, because they juice up on hgh in college, where they don't get tested, and then come into the pros already ridiculously (indeed inhumanly) huge.

that said, he shouldn't have singled anyone out.

550872[/snapback]

Good point. He may have just thought all his teammates knew, it wasn't a big deal.

• 2 weeks later...