Asking MM what he needs solves what?

bb63

While Iam not advocating that MM be fired , I"m wondering what Ralph sees in him and the future for our Bills? I dont think that its just a probllem of a good coach not having players he can win with.Its one thing to coach players its another thing to be able to coach the game. His ability to manage a game , call the right plays , manage the clock, having the right players on the field in the right situations, getting his team to play 60 min . If he had shown some improvement in these areas over the course of the season I would see some reason for Ralph to be asking him that ? MM never ever learned from his mistakes during the whole season ,that gives me any confidence in him that he will learn to be a good football coach.

While Iam not advocating that MM be fired , I"m wondering what Ralph sees in him  and the future for our Bills? I dont think that its just a probllem of a good coach not having players he can win with.Its one thing to coach players its another thing to be able to coach the game. His ability to manage a game , call the right plays , manage the clock, having the right players on the field in the right situations, getting his team to play 60 min . If he had shown some improvement in these areas over the course of the season  I would see some reason for  Ralph to be asking him that ? MM never ever learned from his mistakes during the whole season ,that gives me any confidence in him that he will learn to be a good football coach.

547827[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more! 3 yds patterns when we need 9! Giving it to FB when we have a top RB, Red Zone awful. Lets take a top RB out on 3rd down and put in a third string RB!

Couldn't agree more!  3 yds patterns when we need 9!  Giving it to FB when we have a top RB, Red Zone awful.  Lets take a top RB out on 3rd down and put in a third string RB!

547845[/snapback]

I will bet anything that almost all of the three yard patterns and passes on third and nine are Kelly Holcomb deciding to throw it to that player and not the way the play was called. The main target and second main target were past the first down marker on 90% of them.

Couldn't agree more!  3 yds patterns when we need 9!  Giving it to FB when we have a top RB, Red Zone awful.  Lets take a top RB out on 3rd down and put in a third string RB!

547845[/snapback]

Shaud Williams why is he even on this team, how"s that for some coaching.

I will bet anything that almost all of the three yard patterns and passes on third and nine are Kelly Holcomb deciding to throw it to that player and not the way the play was called. The main target and second main target were past the first down marker on 90% of them.

547854[/snapback]

Yup. But, when one has an o-line that has a hard time slowing 3 pass rushers, with 8 in coverage, it's hard to get the ball to them.

Yup. But this game Holcomb was hardly rushed.

547866[/snapback]

That's because everyone was in coverage.

I'm not sticking up for Holcomb at all, so don't get me wrong. Why do you think they got 4 picks? A decent, not great staff knows Holcomb has no arm, and the Bills will pass a lot within 10 -15 yards. Gameplan for that, as if it's a run, a Bills running back usually has to step over his own blockers to get going. Allows linebackers to get back to the play. 11 guys covering a ten yard "box" can make it hard on a whimp passing game. DC's in the league, I would guess are not afraid of a 30 yard pass out of the Bills unless their CB springs a hammy on that particular play.

In his defense every pattern is not made to go 9 yards! On a third and 9 sometimes the defense dictates what you can do. On a blitz the hot route may only be a guy who has time to go 5 yards. If you recall on Roscoe Parrish's catch and run last week against Cinci it was a third and 18. I don't recall people yelling that he made the catch about 10 yards short of the first down marker. Sometimes you drop it off short because the longer routes aren't open and the receiver has to make a play. It is the same on WR screens near the goal line. Not every player has time to run a 10 yard route. Ideally yes--but do you want your QB throwing into triple coverage to the WR who ran the longest route or to a drop-of guy who is open but then just has to make one man miss?

In his defense every pattern is not made to go 9 yards!  On a third and 9 sometimes the defense dictates what you can do.  On a blitz the hot route may only be a guy who has time to go 5 yards.  If you recall on Roscoe Parrish's catch and run last week against Cinci it was a third and 18.  I don't recall people yelling that he made the catch about 10 yards short of the first down marker.  Sometimes you drop it off short because the longer routes aren't open and the receiver has to make a play.  It is the same on WR screens near the goal line.  Not every player has time to run a 10 yard route.  Ideally yes--but do you want your QB throwing into triple coverage to the WR who ran the longest route or to a drop-of guy who is open but then just has to make one man miss?

547923[/snapback]

Well it would be nice if on a 3rd and 9 you call a play in a 4 wide reciever set that you have at least one reciver going past the 1st down marker Ive seen to many times this year Eric moulds running a designed 5yard pattern when we need 10 , since when did he become Josh Reed.

Asking MM what he needs solves what?

547827[/snapback]

Any professional businessman will have a meeting to assess the situation before making decisions and/or changes. Snap judgements and hasty judgements solve nothing. Mr Wilson will meet with the coach, and make his decisions based on all the facts, some of which we do not know. It wasn't prudent to fire Bruce Dehaven immediately after "homerun throwback" because of a single bad play. I for one hope that Ralph takes his time and makes a decision that we all can feel is best for the Buffalo Bills.

While Iam not advocating that MM be fired , I"m wondering what Ralph sees in him...

...3 years left on a guaranteed contract?

Seriously, rumors are that Mularkey had Clements thrust upon him by TD, when he really wanted Whisenhunt. And Clements got demoted earlier this year, meaning Mularkey has been doing double-duty. Just something to think about.

Any professional businessman will have a meeting to assess the situation before making decisions and/or changes.  Snap judgements and hasty judgements solve nothing.  Mr Wilson will meet with the coach, and make his decisions based on all the facts, some of which we do not know.  It wasn't prudent to fire Bruce Dehaven immediately after "homerun throwback" because of a single bad play.  I for one hope that Ralph takes his time and makes a decision that we all can feel is best for the Buffalo Bills.

547958[/snapback]

We are not talking about one bad play here, we are talking about whole season o f bad plays and bad decsion making. Mangling a season that was supose to make a run at the playoffs, by a coach who game after game makes the same mistakes game after game. Why would you expect someone to have answers to problems he cant even recongnize?

In his defense every pattern is not made to go 9 yards!   On a third and 9 sometimes the defense dictates what you can do.  On a blitz the hot route may only be a guy who has time to go 5 yards.   If you recall on Roscoe Parrish's catch and run last week against Cinci it was a third and 18.  I don't recall people yelling that he made the catch about 10 yards short of the first down marker.  Sometimes you drop it off short because the longer routes aren't open and the receiver has to make a play.  It is the same on WR screens near the goal line.  Not every player has time to run a 10 yard route.  Ideally yes--but do you want your QB throwing into triple coverage to the WR who ran the longest route or to a drop-of guy who is open but then just has to make one man miss?

547923[/snapback]

I was complaining on that pass. Yes, Roscoe ran for the first so we looked good. But we throw the ball deep a few times a game and than 95% of dumping the ball, looking for a Roscoe type run everytime....everytime...everytime... Pretty easy to defend, but that may be why it was the worst offense statiscally in Bills history!

I don't suspect Mike will have any of the correct answers.  But no way will Ralph decide what do do without gathering all the facts.  Then, he'll fire his a$$.

547995[/snapback]

I guess that if you are going to ask MM , questions that have a bearing on wether you are going to keep him or fire him, that I can undrestand, but to ask what he needs infers that Ralph intends to keep MM. So I guess I go back to the original question what does that solve?

547854[/snapback]

it's also play design.

Why design plays where your best WR is standing 2 yards downfield on 4th down when you need 7 for a 1st down?

Redzone offense is terrrible in that the endzone is never attacked. If you're going to throw on 3rd down, it better be to the endzone.

It is clear that Ralph feels he's not been given the whole story by TD, or at least that he can't depend on the accuracy and wisdom of what TD says. So, he is seeking MM's thoughts on what the team needs. It is smart to seek other opinions from different employees (you are paying them anyway, why not ask them questions and see what kind of insights they can provide you?)

Make no mistake, it's also nothing less than a job interview for MM. If he has no answers, no plan, it will make Ralph think twice about letting him coach out his contract.

From his comments, Ralph has obviously decided to become more directly involved in the running of the team. I would not be surprised if Ralph's "changed structure" involves him taking back the President title for himself to ensure that he has more daily involvement in personnel decisions.

Doea anyone seriously think that Ralph Wilson sat down with Hank Bulough, Jim Ringo , Kay Stephson before he fired them , to ask them what they needed to staighten the team out. Make no mistake MM is staying as coach,hes not being interviewed to keep his job. Mr Wilson some how still sees something in him to keep him. The question still is what other than 3years left on his contract, does MM bring to this team?