OT - mouse w/ a ball vs. optical

stuckincincy

I buy cheapo mice every 6 months or so. I clean the accumulated fuzz off of the rollers etc. but eventually they don't track - I increase the accel. rate etc., but die-they-do.

Are the so-called "optical" mice a better way to go (I'm not talking about the wireless jobs)?

Even the cheapies?

I have a joe basic Logitec optical...Ive had it a few years...no problems at all.

38855[/snapback]

Didn't know they still made those. Seriously though, I've had the same cordless. optical, mouse(Logitech) for 4 years. Wouldn't go back to the ball mouse.

I buy cheapo mice every 6 months or so. I clean the accumulated fuzz off of the rollers etc. but eventually they don't track - I increase the accel. rate etc.,  but die-they-do.

Are the so-called "optical" mice a better way to go (I'm not talking about the wireless jobs)?

Even the cheapies?

38851[/snapback]

It's not even close, spend the extra bucks and get the optical...you don't even need a mousepad with the optical, it works on pretty much any surface and I have yet to have any problems with mine. Wireless just makes everything that much better...50-60 bucks on a wireless optical is money well spent.

YES

Cordless & optical is the way to go.

The one drawback is that they go through batteries like nobodies business. They unfortunately give little warning that they're about to die. The solution is to use 2 sets of rechargables & have the one set ready to replace the ones that will wear out in 2 or 3 weeks.

The only problem I have encountered with my optical mouse is the tendency to "spin" when playing first-person shooters on the PC. Other than that, no problems at all....

One further question, I have heard of the so called "blue" light opticals, does it just have a blue lighting effect or have they perfected using blue lasers??

Optical mouse is the way to go. I have a travel size optical mouse, that I carry on the road with me. Less than $20, comes with a case and a USB to PS2 adapter (if you want a PS2 connection). It has been around the world with me several times, and has been great.

Stuck...

If I remember right, you live near I-275. Stop by the Dell store at Tri-County mall and I'll hook you up w/ an optical mouse. I've had an extra one in the backseat of my car for a couple of weeks now.

Just ask for Mike.