fluitie drop kicked....lmao

Johnny

Thank you.

The Patriots had just scored a TD and were down by 6, so they were "supposed" to kick the extra point. The entire game was one big scrimmage for New England.

547341[/snapback]

as were the Bengals last two

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you.

The Patriots had just scored a TD and were down by 6, so they were "supposed" to kick the extra point. The entire game was one big scrimmage for New England.

547341[/snapback]

Why not just kick the extra point, then? Why the stupid circus act? Anyone else but "genius" calls that play and people call it a BS play. The Dolphins certainly didn't consider it a scrimmage. It was a crap play to anyone who isn't a Pats fan.

Why not just kick the extra point, then?  Why the stupid circus act?  Anyone else but "genius" calls that play and people call it a BS play.  The Dolphins certainly didn't consider it a scrimmage.  It was a crap play to anyone who isn't a Pats fan.

547358[/snapback]

oh my goodness gracious....they didnt kick it cause they didnt care if they made it.....they were having fun

Didn't see the game. When Flutie did the drop kick, weren't the Pats going for a 2 pt. conversion because of the saftey Miami got, causing a 2 point "swing" in difference.

Again, I didn't see the play... Maybe Flutie knew the 2 pt. conversion was gonna fail and decided at the last second to get at least 1 pt. with the drop kick? Sounds pretty heads up on DF's part.

EII - They were down by 9 points, a normal extra point would have gotten them within 8. There is no other reason in the world they run a play that hasn't been called in 65 years other than they didn't care if they won the game. And if they didn't care if they won the game, it's because they didn't want to play pittsburgh.

Or just maybe both teams realize that the difference between #3 and #4 is inconsequential when weighed against the opportunity to rest your key starters????

547162[/snapback]

If #4 beats the Colts & #3 beats the Broncos, #3 gets the AFC Championship at home.... I would've tried for #3 myself, regardless if the Steelers were #6.

as were the Bengals last two

547352[/snapback]

I think that today the Bengals laid down for the reason that JDG offered, as did New England. Obviously, when you pull 18 of your starters after one quarter, you're not playing to win but to remain healthy for the playoffs.

I don't think that was the case last week. No coach is going to ignore a chance to gain a bye. You can post about it 1,000 times Johnny, and you're rapidly approaching that number, but it won't make it true. Sorry.

One thing that I think teams do is that while they may play their starters, they often hold back on their playbook. The press will play the "Indy has lost their momentum" card for two weeks, but they've still won every game of consequence decisively this season. They still hopefully will have their hands full with New England considering all the history there if the two teams end up meeting.

Why not just kick the extra point, then?  Why the stupid circus act?  Anyone else but "genius" calls that play and people call it a BS play.  The Dolphins certainly didn't consider it a scrimmage.  It was a crap play to anyone who isn't a Pats fan.

547358[/snapback]

It was a crap play if you have irrational hatred for the New England Patriots. :lol: Those that do will continue to whine about everything they do, and the refs, and try to tear down Brady until time stops. It's the equivalent of white noise at this point.

For those who have a love of the unique, who understand Flutie's place in New England lore, who understand Belichick and his respect for the history and nuances of the game and his recently departed Dad, it was pretty cool. Very cool.

By the way, I'm guessing Nick Saban falls into the latter category.

I think that today the Bengals laid down for the reason that JDG offered, as did New England. Obviously, when you pull 18 of your starters after one quarter, you're not playing to win but to remain healthy for the playoffs.

I don't think that was the case last week. No coach is going to ignore a chance to gain a bye. You can post about it 1,000 times Johnny, and you're rapidly approaching that number, but it won't make it true. Sorry.

One thing that I think teams do is that while they may play their starters, they often hold back on their playbook. The press will play the "Indy has lost their momentum" card for two weeks, but they've still won every game of consequence decisively this season. They still hopefully will have their hands full with New England considering all the history there if the two teams end up meeting.

547392[/snapback]

fine i wont give you guys the inside scoops anymore.....the reason they didnt rest people against buffalo is obvious........not to give people too much rest to build rust, and not to tip off the patriots, but obviously the latter wasnt going to happen as bellycheck has been around the block

fine though if you guys want to wait for the people on the nfl today show to tell you about it after the fact.....which they did, after the fact .....or get a heads up here and make a whole wheel barrow of money off of it, like me ......suit yourself

just trying to help the fellow bills fans

For those who have a love of the unique, who understand Flutie's place in New England lore, who understand Belichick and his respect for the history and nuances of the game and his recently departed Dad, it was pretty cool. Very cool.

By the way, I'm guessing Nick Saban falls into the latter category.

547444[/snapback]

Running a play that hasn't been run since 1941 is a real knee-slapper, all right. If he wanted to get Flutie some snaps in front of the home crowd then why not let him come in to the game and win it...all he does is win and it would add to the truly New England Flutie mystique. If Miami goes for the block and breaks the Magic One's leg on a gimmick play that hasn't been attempted since WWII that would surely cement Belicheck's HOF status, wouldn't it?

I bow before the more knowledgable NE Pats fan because I simply don't see the genius of a backup QB drop-kicking a meaningless extra point. I apologize for missing the historical nuance of that play.

Also, WTF does his dead father have to do with drop-kicking an extra point?

Running a play that hasn't been run since 1941 is a real knee-slapper, all right.  If he wanted to get Flutie some snaps in front of the home crowd then why not let him come in to the game and win it...all he does is win and it would add to the truly New England Flutie mystique.  If Miami goes for the block and breaks the Magic One's leg on a gimmick play that hasn't been attempted since WWII that would surely cement Belicheck's HOF status, wouldn't it? 

I bow before the more knowledgable NE Pats fan because I simply don't see the genius of a backup QB drop-kicking a meaningless extra point.  I apologize for missing the historical nuance of that play.

Also, WTF does his dead father have to do with drop-kicking an extra point?

547487[/snapback]

Belichick's Dad was an old time football player and the drop kick was common in that era. Belichick these past two weeks has had an hour long "film session" with the media where he has shown old footage thru to the modern era showing how defensive and offensive play has developed through time - included in that was a kick return for a TD by his Dad when he played for the Lions.

I think the odds of Flutie's leg being broken were in the million to one range. Look, I think it's perfectly fine for you to root against the Patriots, but I find the idea of anyone from a fan to a player being insulted by that play pretty ridiculous. Worry about other things, man.

you do have the bird flu if you were watching that game.......looked like a touchdown against them in the playoffs when the kid completed it..........then he calls time out while theyre ready to run the two point play...kid throws it away........if he wanted the win Brady couldve easily came off the bench........

That was a definite Belichick call, he didn't want his team beaten up by the Steelers in the first week. I don't believe that Brady could have come off the bench, after both the second and third string quarterbacks are used, the first string can't come back unless both go down with injury.

If #4 beats the Colts & #3 beats the Broncos, #3 gets the AFC Championship at home.... I would've tried for #3 myself, regardless if the Steelers were #6.

547378[/snapback]

Pats didn't need homefield last year. You are right though, the higher seed the better. No matter what, you are going to have to beat 3 good teams to get to the Bowl.

I think the drop kick is hilarious and I can't believe people are mad about it. If it was JP we would be loving it. It's just because it's 1) the Patriots, and 2) Flutie, that people are getting worked up.