The play no one ever talks about

PromoTheRobot

Discussing the latest ESPN promo about the Bills, some people started bringing up all the crushing defeats and humiliations the Bills have suffered. All the usual suspects were mentioned: Wide right...Thurman's lost helmet...Homerun forward lateral...even Ronnie Harmon's alligator arms against Cleveland in 1989.

It occured to me that there is one infamous play that no one on this board or any other Bills board ever talks about...

Jan. 2 1999: AFC divisional playoffs - Bills lose 24-17 to the Dolphins. A chance to tie with 9 seconds left is lost when the QB is sacked and fumbled the ball on the Miami 1 yd line.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/sbxxxiii/rev/afc10298.asp

I have to wonder if maybe because the QB on that play was Doug Flutie, that people have swept that memory under the rug?

PTR

Ronnie Harmon dropping that td pass from Kelly. That was pretty bad. My old man is still pissed about that one.

544458[/snapback]

I am still pissed off about that one! Not to mention at Derrick Burroughs for taking that stupid personal foul penalty!

Discussing the latest ESPN promo about the Bills, some people started bringing up all the crushing defeats and humiliations the Bills have suffered.  All the usual suspects were mentioned: Wide right...Thurman's lost helmet...Homerun forward lateral...even Ronnie Harmon's alligator arms against Cleveland in 1989.

It occured to me that there is one infamous play that no one on this board or any other Bills board ever talks about...

Jan. 2 1999:  AFC divisional playoffs - Bills lose 24-17 to the Dolphins.  A chance to tie with 9 seconds left is lost when the QB is sacked and fumbled the ball on the Miami 1 yd line.

I have to wonder if maybe because the QB on that play was Doug Flutie, that people have swept that memory under the rug?

PTR

544335[/snapback]

:blink:

But he could've blown out the Titans the following year if given the chance. :lol:

:doh:

Discussing the latest ESPN promo about the Bills, some people started bringing up all the crushing defeats and humiliations the Bills have suffered.  All the usual suspects were mentioned: Wide right...Thurman's lost helmet...Homerun forward lateral...even Ronnie Harmon's alligator arms against Cleveland in 1989.

Jan. 2 1999:  AFC divisional playoffs - Bills lose 24-17 to the Dolphins.  A chance to tie with 9 seconds left is lost when the QB is sacked and fumbled the ball on the Miami 1 yd line.

PTR

544335[/snapback]

yeah, it couldn't have been whatever scrub was playing right offensive tackle's fault ... :blink:

Flutopians have a select memory

544348[/snapback]

True - he also got picked at the end of the half at the goaline when we were up 7-6.

Also, there were about 4 bogus calls in the Titans game at the end of the 1st half that really screwed us. Everyone always forgets that.

Oh goody.  Let's rehash the Johnson vs. Flutie debate again.  I never tire of it.  :blink:

544366[/snapback]

I didn't bring it up to dump on Flutie. I am just amazed that a crushing loss like that is nowhere on Bills fans "$h!t list." I mean, that's all we do, right? Rehash old wounds? I only bring up Flutie as a possible explanation.

PTR