Bobby April chewed some ref a$$ today

Thailog80

For those of us who didn't get to see the game...what happened?

541925[/snapback]

The Bills kicked an onsides kick in the middle of the game which totally took the bengals by surprise. We recovered it but the refs called a penalty on Wire for blocking a Bengal before the ball was touched or traveled 10 yards. Except it was 13 yards. April threw a fit and finally they reviewed it after Mularkey threw the red flag, and they reversed the call, giving the Bills the ball. It was an obvious reversal, the only questionable part was why did the ref call the penalty in the first place when he seemed to be right there and it was three yards past the 40 yard line.

For those of us who didn't get to see the game...what happened?

541925[/snapback]

The Bills called up the surpriseonside early in the game and executed it perfectly. Somebody threw a stupid flag to force a rekick but Bobby April worked the refs long enough for teh Bills to get a look at it upstairs so Mularkey could challenge. The challenge worked and April was proven correct.

It was actually a relatively mild "ouburst" from April, who seems to ahve really calmed down since he arrived here. I've seen him going absolutely wheresthestraitjacket ballistic in the past.

Cya

Question regarding the onside kick - did the Lindell kick it into the ground first, or did he pop it straight into the air?

JDG

541945[/snapback]

I think he popped it off the ground in the now-traditional manner, but the angle they were using during the live shot made it difficult to tell. All you could tell was that something strange was afoot (pun intended).

I think he popped it off the ground in the now-traditional manner, but the angle they were using during the live shot made it difficult to tell. All you could tell was that something strange was afoot (pun intended).

541959[/snapback]

I was watching the game without sound, and we had a bit of a debate about that in the bar - especially since we had no way of telling what penalty was called. I thought that since the ball had not hit the ground, that it was an illegal touch by Buffalo.... (the ball must touch the ground or an opposing player on an onsides kick before the kicking team can recover).... definitely interesting to hear that it was an illegal block.

I was honestly wondering if the official thought the ball was kicked from the 35 (like it used to be). They really screwed that up. I was livid sitting there when the referee said "blocked the player before the 10 yard mark when it was clear that the player was at the 43 yard line when Coy engaged him.

I was honestly wondering if the official thought the ball was kicked from the 35 (like it used to be)

Yeah, that crossed me up too. The call was soooo bad that I was thinking I had somehow missed a penalty somewhere and we were kicking off from 5yrds further upfield.

I was honestly wondering if the official thought the ball was kicked from the 35 (like it used to be).  They really screwed that up.  I was livid sitting there when the referee said "blocked the player before the 10 yard mark when it was clear that the player was at the 43 yard line when Coy engaged him.

541970[/snapback]

Whatever it was, it was a horrible call, but luckily it got reversed with the waste of a challenge. Was a real nice play in my opinion by Wire to take that guy out...was theonly Bengal to have a real chance of getting it and Coy just flattened him. Great play...good idea...too bad we didnt get points out of that drive.

The play was confusing - not that you can't flatten a player attempting to get a free ball, but that a thrown flag could be reversed via challange. I'm aware that flags get picked up, with the usual verbage being "there was no foul on the play"...etc., but I thought flags, like whistles, were not challangeble, and any picking up of flags were part of play continuation - if that's the term.

Help!

The play was confusing - not that you can't flatten a player attempting to get a free ball, but that a thrown flag could be reversed via challange. I'm aware that flags get picked up, with the usual verbage being "there was no foul on the play"...etc., but I thought flags, like whistles, were not challangeble, and any picking up of flags were part of play continuation - if that's the term.

Help!

542374[/snapback]

There are certain exceptions. You can challenge a spot on the field, where a foul occurred, but not whether there was a penalty committed. So, for example, if they call an illegal contact after 5 yards, you cannot challenge whether or not there was an illegal contact, but you can challenge whether it happened within 5 yards of the line or beyond 5 yards. In this case, however, according to todays papers, the referees didn't really go for the challenge, they just got together and decided that indeed the block was 13 yards from where the ball was kicked, and not less than 10 yards, in which it would have been a penalty. So they made the right call eventually.

I'm back...power outage! Got out my 5" b&w tv in case it was for the long haul. Get one of those, btw. They sell from 10 to 30 bucks depending on which retailer hawks them in their circulars. 8 D cells for power, plus AC and 12-v adapter, to boot!

But to the subject - if it is in the rulebook - no reversal of a flag on a challange, how did they justify it? No question about the bad flag, as I stated. But rules are rules, and "Eventually" doesn't seem an applicable term...

Was this an "New England-ish" decision by the refs? :angry:

I'm back...power outage! Got out my 5" b&w tv in case it was for the long haul. Get one of those, btw. They sell from 10 to 30 bucks depending on which retailer hawks them in their circulars. 8 D cells for power, plus AC and 12-v adapter, to boot!

But to the subject - if it is in the rulebook - no reversal of a flag on a challange, how did they justify it? No question about the bad flag, as I stated. But rules are rules, and "Eventually" doesn't seem an applicable term...

Was this an "New England-ish" decision by the refs? :angry:

542437[/snapback]

One official just made a bad call. He thought the block by Coy Wire happened less than ten yards down the field. The other officials huddled and agreed that no, it was more like 13 yards downfield, hence no flag, no penalty, no wrongdoing on either side. It's the same thing as the "there is no flag on the field" explanations. On 90% of those, one official simply made a bad call or had a bad angle and the others, after discussing what really happened, decided there was no penalty. That's not the same as going to a relay and seeing the official made a bad call.

One official just made a bad call. He thought the block by Coy Wire happened less than ten yards down the field. The other officials huddled and agreed that no, it was more like 13 yards downfield, hence no flag, no penalty, no wrongdoing on either side. It's the same thing as the "there is no flag on the field" explanations. On 90% of those, one official simply made a bad call or had a bad angle and the others, after discussing what really happened, decided there was no penalty. That's not the same as going to a relay and seeing the official made a bad call.

542444[/snapback]

I understand all of that - I've said so several times, and I'm at a loss as to how to again restate it to you and why you don't get what I said.

Re-read - my question is not about a call and reversal, but if once a flag is thrown, is it subject to a challenge or not? My contention is that it is not, and that MM's red flag was just such, illegal, and the ref's should not have accepted the challenge. They could have picked up the flag before the challenge. Since they did not, the result should have been "no play, re-kick".

The Bills got a Patriot-esque call.