17 years ago today, Pan Am Flight 103

The Poojer

I saw a program on that recently. Some pretty upsetting stuff, including the fact that a specific threat had apparently been made against Pam Am flights within a specific time frame, but security wasn't sufficiently increased. Certain government officials and others who got wind of the warning thought it credible enough to change their plans to avoid Pan Am flights that month.

Another amazing thing I didn't know was that the villagers actually found a few passengers that were STILL ALIVE after the plane had crashed. Which of course means that many people survived the explosion and were conscious during the break up and crashing of the plane. :doh:

Tell me you were half asleep when you saw/heard this, right?

540008[/snapback]

Nope....that's what they said. A few were still breathing (barely) immediately after the impact. They suggested that one guy might even have been saved had there happened to be an EMS crew on the scene.

I found the fact that they were able to determine that many (esp the cockpit crew) survived the explosion/fall and didn't die until impact pretty gruesome.

Nope....that's what they said.  A few were still breathing (barely) immediately after the impact.  They suggested that one guy might even have been saved had there happened to be an EMS crew on the scene.

I found the fact that they were able to determine that many (esp the cockpit crew) survived the explosion/fall and didn't die until impact pretty gruesome.

540015[/snapback]

Shades of Challenger.

wow, does not seem that long ago.  259 people died, including 35 Syracuse University students, over Lockerbie Scotland at the hands of a terrorist bomb!

539857[/snapback]

that sucked! i mean, it was at the time in my life when i was just beginning to pay attention to such things as domestic and foreign affairs. That was a very sad day.

Nope....that's what they said.  A few were still breathing (barely) immediately after the impact.  They suggested that one guy might even have been saved had there happened to be an EMS crew on the scene.

540015[/snapback]

If there'd been an EMS crew on the scene that timely, odds are they would have had the plane landing on their head. Don't forget, the town of Lockerbie itself was pretty severely damaged as well.

A couple of years after this tragedy, this guy comes into the bar I was working at in the middle of the day and just orders a soda. Nobody else was at the bar. He was chain smoking and just drinking his soda. Then he tells me that he lost his fiancee at Lockerbie. He told me her name and I still remember it to this day. I kept feeding him sodas and never charged him (which was taking chances at this employer). In any case, the guy didn't say much about the details other than he was supposed to get married. It was very sad to see this guy sitting there suffering. His heart was destroyed. We all have grievances in life but most of us find more sound and sane ways to respond rather than taking it out on a jet filled with innocents. It is truly a sad story.

A couple of years after this tragedy, this guy comes into the bar I was working at in the middle of the day and just orders a soda.  Nobody else was at the bar.  He was chain smoking and just drinking his soda.  Then he tells me that he lost his fiancee at Lockerbie.  He told me her name and I still remember it to this day.  I kept feeding him sodas and never charged him (which was taking chances at this employer).  In any case, the guy didn't say much about the details other than he was supposed to get married.  It was very sad to see this guy sitting there suffering.  His heart was destroyed.  We all have grievances in life but most of us find more sound and sane ways to respond rather than taking it out on a jet filled with innocents.  It is truly a sad story.

540896[/snapback]

It's an ugly, ugly world. Most people just want to get on with their lives, and it only takes a small few with an agenda to ruin someone's life. I see it, every day.