More coaching candidates...

WVUFootball29

Just a couple of other names I thought I'd throw out there as possible HC candidates:

Al Saunders - OC Chefs

Monte Kiffin - DC Bucs

Norv Turner - HC Raiders (I hate this guy and dont want him in Bflo...but you never know what upstairs is gonna do)

Jim Fassel - OC Ravens (He's done a great job there :lol: )

Gary Kubiak - OC Broncos

Ray rhodes - DC Seahawks (gotta have a minority candidate)

Only ones I can really think of that would have a chance of getting HC, most of which havent been mentioned.

Out of this group I like Monte Kiffin the best. 23 years in the league, past 10 years as the def coordinator in TB. the guy has been around football forever, he's been mentioned in the past as a HC candidate, but I dont recall him seriously interviewing anywhere. Though I've stated in numerous previous posts that I would prefer a HC with exp at some level, I would gladly substitute 23 years in the league for a few years of HCing.

Right behind Kiffin I place Al Saunders. Saunders has done a great job with the KC offense the past few years and maybe he could teach this team how to score some points. Also he has had some prior HC exp with the San Diego Chargers from 1986 to 1988

Kubiak has spent the past 10 seasons coaching with and learning under Mike Shanahan so I wouldnt be suprised if he knows a thing or two about the running game, which would be nice to have to compliment a solid back in WM. Also 8 years of QB in the NFL with the Broncos might be an asset to JPL's development. However, no HC exp and the fact the Shanahan pretty much runs Denver himself would be my primary concern.

Ray Rhodes 37-42-1 record as a head coach between Philly and one season in GB. tough guy, knows defense, has coaching exp...fits most of what I'm looking for in a head coach. Even though his record isnt stellar he did lead Philly to playoff appearances in his first 2 seasons with them, which is far more than GW or MM have done so far. I wouldnt have a major problem giving him a shot with this team as long as a solid OC follows him

Norv Turner... another Dave Wanstedt, good OC for JJ but hasnt done much since leaving Dallas other than his NFC title in 99. Not a bad offensive minded guy, but should have done much better in Oakland with Moss and Porter. Granted his contract isnt up, but I'll be suprised if Al Davis doesnt show him the door as this year.

Jim Fassel...candidate for the Bills in 04 now serving as the OC in Baltimore...and we all know how great that offense is...I'll pass on Fassel.

Kubiak is an uinteresting name that hasn't come up in years- his offenses are always very good, and the running game is always strong- look at how Plummer has turned his career around.

I'd add Chan Gailey to that list- remember in Pittsburgh's Superbowl year, they struggled to run the ball, and he changed to a 5 WR set w/Neil O'Donnell at QB, and they dominated. Thats leadership

Kubiak is an uinteresting name that hasn't come up in years- his offenses are always very good, and the running game is always strong- look at how Plummer has turned his career around.

I'd add Chan Gailey to that list- remember in Pittsburgh's Superbowl year, they struggled to run the ball, and he changed to a 5 WR set w/Neil O'Donnell at QB, and they dominated. Thats leadership

533384[/snapback]

You know I forgot all about Chan Gailey...that is an interesting prospect as well

I was reading an article today that mentioned Herm Edwards may be let go. I don't think this is likely, but if it does happen i would love to have Herm here in Buffalo. I think the Bills roster is more talented than the past few Jets teams and he has done decent competing in this division for a good many years. Plus he is a likeable guy, which is the reason for me posting in the first place. Likeable doesn't equal wins, but at least he is honest with the media and will tell them to F-off which is entertaining if we conitune to suck.

Monte Kiffin - DC Bucs

Out of this group I like Monte Kiffin the best. 23 years in the league, past 10 years as the def coordinator in TB.  the guy has been around football forever, he's been mentioned in the past as a HC candidate, but I dont recall him seriously interviewing anywhere.  Though I've stated in numerous previous posts that I would prefer a HC with exp at some level, I would gladly substitute 23 years in the league for a few years of HCing.

533377[/snapback]

Kiffin is a hell of a DC, has been for a long time, and he'd probably make a greeat coach. but he wont leave the Buccs. He's making more as the Buccs DC (1.5 mil per year i believe) than some coaches. Also, hes said in the past hes happy being the DC. Enjoys the work of designing a defense and play calling, etc, and doesnt want to deal with all of the necessary BS that comes with being a head coach. Hes a guy thats happy with his job and will probably stay there. Also, age may play a factor as hes in his mid 60's.

Still, he would be a great coach. I mean hell, the guy basically invented the Cover 2.

I was reading an article today that mentioned Herm Edwards may be let go.  I don't think this is likely, but if it does happen i would love to have Herm here in Buffalo.  I think the Bills roster is more talented than the past few Jets teams and he has done decent competing in this division for a good many years.  Plus he is a likeable guy, which is the reason for me posting in the first place.  Likeable doesn't equal wins, but at least he is honest with the media and will tell them to F-off which is entertaining if we conitune to suck.

533404[/snapback]

Really? IMO, Herm is one of the 4 or 5 worst HC's in the leauge...he would be no improvement over what we have now... he may be an even worse game day coach than MM on his worst Sunday...he does give a good sound-byte though!

BTW, I had heard that, because of health concerns, there was doubts that Ray Rhodes would be coaching much longer...

Actually, the cover 2 was used by the late Bud Carson when he coached the Steelers defense in the 1970s.

533483[/snapback]

my bad. i wasnt around then. So i subscribe to the Monte Kiffin cover 2. He definitely revolutionized it tho. :lol:

Umm.  Ray Rhodes has had at least a couple of "minor" strokes this season and does not attend games any longer.  MH has had him helping to develop the defensive game plans in recent weeks and that's about it.

533534[/snapback]

did not know that...thanks for update

Just a couple of other names I thought I'd throw out there as possible HC candidates:

Al Saunders - OC Chefs

Monte Kiffin - DC Bucs

Gary Kubiak - OC Broncos

Only ones I can really think of that would have a chance of getting HC, most of which havent been mentioned.

Out of this group I like Monte Kiffin the best. 23 years in the league, past 10 years as the def coordinator in TB.  the guy has been around football forever, he's been mentioned in the past as a HC candidate, but I dont recall him seriously interviewing anywhere.  Though I've stated in numerous previous posts that I would prefer a HC with exp at some level, I would gladly substitute 23 years in the league for a few years of HCing.

Right behind Kiffin I place Al Saunders.  Saunders has done a great job with the KC offense the past few years and maybe he could teach this team how to score some points.  Also he has had some prior HC exp with the San Diego Chargers from 1986 to 1988

Kubiak has spent the past 10 seasons coaching with and learning under Mike Shanahan so I wouldnt be suprised if he knows a thing or two about the running game, which would be nice to have to compliment a solid back in WM.  Also 8 years of QB in the NFL with the Broncos might be an asset to JPL's development.  However, no HC exp and the fact the Shanahan pretty much runs Denver himself would be my primary concern.

533377[/snapback]

I mentioned saunder the other day in another thread and got no play on it. I'd love Al Saunders here. That coryell system is top notch and saunders touches on it have been magnificent. Just look at the #'s trent green has put up the past few years with well below average wr's. Imagine what a system like that could do for the likes of evans, and especially mcgahee. What I like about Saunders the most is his commitment to the run game. The chiefs are the #1 in term of redzone td pct since 2001 primarly because of their commitment to running the ball. They also lead the league in total yards ypc. Passing yards, yards per completion, rushing touchdowns and redzone td pct since 2001 to now. The only downfall is that offense pretty much needs top notch linemen, but well Saunders would know that and I'm pretty sure make it a priority.

I'm wishy/washy on Kubiak but he has spent years behind shannahan and obviousily knows the system. The system is commited to the run game and great for mobile qb's Young/Elway/Plummer. There's a lot of similarites between Losman and Plummer so on the surface it would look like a great fit. The system has also done great with any rb, mostly due to the zone cut back blocking scheme they employ. Davis/Gary/Anderson/Portis/Bell/ and Warrick Dunn in Atlanta. On paper it would seem to be tailor made system for us.

Monte Kiffin is a great defensive cooridinator. He's been consistent for well over a decade. Like someone else pointed out though he makes more as a defensive coordinator there then some head coaches make elsewhere so he probably wont go anywhere.

These would be the top 3 coordinators on my list but I'd prefer Saunders over all of them

I mentioned saunder the other day in another thread and got no play on it.  I'd love  Al Saunders here.  That coryell system is top notch and saunders touches on it have been magnificent.  Just look at the #'s trent green has put up the past few years with well below average wr's. Imagine what a system like that could do for the likes of evans, and especially mcgahee.  What I like about Saunders the most is his commitment to the run game.  The chiefs are the #1 in term of redzone td pct since 2001 primarly because of their commitment to running the ball.  They also lead the league in total yards ypc.  Passing yards, yards per completion, rushing touchdowns and redzone td pct since 2001 to now.  The only downfall is that offense pretty much needs top notch linemen, but well Saunders would know that and I'm pretty sure make it a priority.

I'm wishy/washy on Kubiak but he has spent years behind shannahan and obviousily knows the system. The system is commited to the run game and great for mobile qb's  Young/Elway/Plummer.  There's a lot of similarites between Losman and Plummer so on the surface it would look like a great fit.  The system has also done great with any rb, mostly due to the zone cut back blocking scheme they employ.  Davis/Gary/Anderson/Portis/Bell/ and Warrick Dunn in Atlanta.  On paper it would seem to be tailor made system for us.

Monte Kiffin is a great defensive cooridinator.  He's been consistent for well over a decade. Like someone else pointed out though he makes more as a defensive coordinator there then some head coaches make elsewhere so he probably wont go anywhere.

These would be the top 3 coordinators on my list but I'd prefer Saunders over all of them

533569[/snapback]

you just sold me on saunders homie.

i'll take him or haslett

i know people hate on haslett, but he bleeds buffalo red white and blue and would bring some nasty line play here.

None of the above have HC experience yet right?

The next HC in Buffalo needs to have lead a team for 3-5 years... regardless of previous success, our next HC needs to have actual NFL HC experience.

Apart from if it is Norv Turner. In which case I would rather a bag of pretzels be our head coach.

None of the above have HC experience yet right?

The next HC in Buffalo needs to have lead a team for 3-5 years... regardless of previous success, our next HC needs to have actual NFL HC experience.

Apart from if it is Norv Turner. In which case I would rather a bag of pretzels be our head coach.

533598[/snapback]

Norv will be coaching South Central Louisian State next year if anywhere...

Saunders has 3 seasons of head coaching exp, 86-89 in SD

Kiffin has 3 seasons as head coach of North Carolina State

Kubiak has no head coaching exp, but 10 years under the same head coach...

I'd prefer a coach with previous experience...the problem is there arent going to be many out there this season

533598[/snapback]

No love for a coach that can't incorporate Randy Moss into the offense,

past the mustard, pretzels with mustard taste good.