speaking of guys donohoe wanted in 2001 ...

dave mcbride

and complained loudly to the national media when he was hired by the texans one year before they actually started playing and without the usual grand tour for desirable coaching prospects because he was hired before the 01 season ended. i'm not saying he's incompetent, but 1-12 doesn't look so good.

the point is that he scored once with cowher. nothing has panned out since (although i'm one of the last half dozen who believes the jury is still out on mularkey).

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

and complained loudly to the national media when he was hired by the texans one year before they actually started playing and without the usual grand tour for desirable coaching prospects because he was hired before the 01 season ended. i'm not saying he's incompetent, but 1-12 doesn't look so good.

the point is that he scored once with cowher. nothing has panned out since (although i'm one of the last half dozen who believes the jury is still out on mularkey).

528853[/snapback]

Mularekey and his crazy play calling drew the ire of Steeler fans. Right now it loosk like MM has lost his team I dont see much emotion from this team. Willis looks like he is just going thru the motions, game plans seem nonexistent.

528853[/snapback]

TD's coach picking record is pretty stellar.....the most successful coach he ever had a hand in choosing got his ass fired in a turf battle--now the two boobs he hired to coach during his Bills tenure are going to be his Waterloo.

528853[/snapback]

Part of my offseason plan is to get Dom Capers in here for an interview for the hopefully soon to be open D-Coordinator job. Donahoe has already hired him once with good results and may be willing to do it again. We'll probably have to make some personell changes but with our lack of players at DT, maybe a switch to a 3-4 isn't such a bad idea.

Cya

Part of my offseason plan is to get Dom Capers in here for an interview for the hopefully soon to be open D-Coordinator job. Donahoe has already hired him once with good results and may be willing to do it again. We'll probably have to make some personell changes but with our lack of players at DT, maybe a switch to a 3-4 isn't such a bad idea.

Cya

528867[/snapback]

And the emergence of Crowell at LB.

Cya

528867[/snapback]

I really value your opinion Simon...do you believe that everyone assumed this was a throw away year and that Donahoe and Mularkey are safe?

I just don't see us any better next year if we don't cut off the head and start anew. What's attractive to a decent assistant coach or an established veteran player to come here when they know that the coach and president/GM are on the thinnest of thin ice....

I liken Capers to guys like Dick Lebeau, Gregg Williams, Wade Phillips - all one-time head coaches who were promoted from being defensive assistants, and then promptly demoted back. And they all do much better as DC than as HC - not many guys that can go from being a quality assistant to being a quality HC. Capers would be fine IMO as a DC here. But obviously a new HC with a new mentality is needed, first and foremost.

do you believe that everyone assumed this was a throw away year and that Donahoe and Mularkey are safe?

I don't know about everybody (or anybody) being safe. Things have not only gone bad, but they've gone spectacularly bad on so many fronts that it's going to take a massive amount of willpower from Ralph WIlson to keep himself from lopping off some heads.

But yeah, I think they viewed this as a sort of developmental year for a green QB running his first pro offense. They knew they probably weren't going to get much immediate help from the draft and I think they believed that the FA market wasn't necessarily stocked with the kind of players they wanted at the positions they needed. So they save their salary cap chits for the next offseason, evaluate what they have w/ Peters, Vincent, MWilliams, TAnderson, Gandy, etc and they figure they can muddle through a .500 season because the division looks just too strong (before the PAts/Jets injuryfest).

Basically I think they intentionall took a step backwards so they could take two steps forward next year. But nobody really foresaw just how ugly this thing could get. I can't believe its got this bad and frankly I'm worried that the gridirongods are not done with us. :D

As for next year, I'm not sure what the hell to think.

I like Donahoe's long succesful drafting history and would prefer him to be around for another year to see if he can finish what he started. But with all the screeching Ralph might be too worried about his bottom line to view continuity as a positive.

I also liked what I saw from Mularkey last year, and aside from Gray and Clements really like the coaching staff they've put together. But there's no getting around the fact that this squad looks terribly coached, poorly prepared, that they take too many bad penalties, all-too-often look confused and that they appear to be more of a collection of affluent individuals than they do a team.

For now I'm just going to ride it out, see what kind of development we see from the youngsters and continue to hope that they at least go down fighting over the last 3 weeks. When this awful misery is over, then it will be time to decide whether it's worth blowing the whole mess up and starting from scratch or whether we'd be better served to work with what we've got.

Cya

his what?

if donohoe could draft we would not be 4-9 right now.

528944[/snapback]

There have been some good (Evans, Jennings, Schobel, Henry, McGee immediately spring to mind) and there have been some real poor ones...(Bannan, Anderson -- this guy was a 3rd rounder??? --, M. Williams and Reed obviously). I'd say Donahoe's draft results have been mixed at best.

his what?

There have been some good (Evans, Jennings, Schobel, Henry, McGee immediately spring to mind) and there have been some real poor ones...(Bannan, Anderson -- this guy was a 3rd rounder??? --, M. Williams and Reed obviously). I'd say Donahoe's draft results have been mixed at best.

Contrary to popular opinion there's a lot more on Donahoe's resume than the last 4 years. But since it doesn't affect us personally and emotionally I suppose we should just ignore the past as it never tends to repeat itself.

There have been some good (Evans, Jennings, Schobel, Henry, McGee immediately spring to mind) and there have been some real poor ones...(Bannan, Anderson -- this guy was a 3rd rounder??? --, M. Williams and Reed obviously).  I'd say Donahoe's draft results have been mixed at best.

528948[/snapback]

Henry? :D

his what?

528944[/snapback]

I don't think his drafts have been horrible as a whole, but I do believe that the losses to our scouting department over the years has had a drastic effect on our ability to evaluate personnel, especially along the offensive and defensive lines.

Contrary to popular opinion there's a lot more on Donahoe's resume than the last 4 years. But since it doesn't affect us personally and emotionally I suppose we should just ignore the past as it never tends to repeat itself.

528951[/snapback]

i remember when TD got here and someone posted his drafts from pgh. they were better than what he's done here, but still very underwhelming. i think his drafting prowess is overrated.

528951[/snapback]

Yes, well, unfortunately his record in Pittsburgh a decade ago means NOTHING today.

The reality is, he's made dreadful errors in trying to build this team. Namely, his coaching choices and failure to adequately address the line.

Yes, well, unfortunately his record in Pittsburgh a decade ago means NOTHING today.

The reality is, he's made dreadful errors in trying to build this team. Namely, his coaching choices and failure to adequately address the line.

528967[/snapback]

Hey you heard the man. The past repeats itself. We've gotta be patient everybody.

:D