Looking forward to the offseason.....

I'm getting tired of all the "Fire Mularkey", "Fire TD" posts. I agree with all of them, but let's talk about something else.

I could give a damn what happens the rest of the season. As long as no one else gets hurt, i'm looking to next year. Below is what I would do to rebuild the Bills if I was in a position of authority. Feel free to criticize and/or do the same.

Who stays and who goes (FA):

Angelo Crowell - STAY

Josh Stamer - STAY

Justin Bannan - GO

Kevin Thomas - GO

Mario Haggan - STAY

Mike Schnek - STAY

Nate Clements - GO

Ron Edwards - GO

Ryan Denney - STAY

Sam Aiken - STAY

Shane Matthews - GO

Trey Teague - GO

Josh Reed - GO

Joe Burns - GO

Other cuts:

Bennie Anderson

Ben Sobieski

Lawrence Smith

Ryan Neufeld

Jeff Posey

Eric Moulds

- Franchise and trade Nate Clements for a 2nd round pick. He may be worthy of a late 1st, but I don't see us getting it. Nor do I see us resigning him.

- Release Moulds because his contract is WAY too high. If he wants to take a substantial cut and Mularkey's not around, keep him. But the odds of that happening are not very good.

- Controversially keep Mike Williams. He had a strong showing last season after a questionable camp. Unfortunately, he's caught the injury bug this year and the line has been in shambles. Everyone wants to give up on him, but I think he should stay and spend the offseason to get him accustomed to LG. Of course, he'll need to take a pay cut.

- Controversially keep Sam Adams. Just like Williams, he's caught the injury bug and has had problems with Mularkey. If Mularkey stays, he'll need to get things fixed with Sam. Ron Edwards and Justin Bannan aren't doing the job. Sam's disruptive as an anchor. But he can't do it alone.

Draft Picks:

1.)

2.)

2.) (From Clements trade)

3.)

3.) (From Henry trade)

3.) (Supplemental from Pat Williams)

4.)

4.) (Supplemental from Jonas Jennings)

5.)

6.)

7.)

- I envision the Bills winning one more game this year. Putting them at 5-11 and probably around pick 8. Supplemental picks are just a realistic guess.

- Area's of need: OT, DT, CB

Day 1 Mock:

1.) Jimmy Williams, CB Virginia Tech

1.) Gabe Watson, DT Michigan *

2.) Winston Justice, OT USC

3.) Charles Spencer, OG Colorado

3.) Martin Nance, WR Miami (OH)

- Bills trade a #2, a #3, and a #3 in 2006 (or maybe a #4) to get into the 15-25 mark to snab a DT.

- Jimmy Williams will hopefully still be available with our inevitably high 1st. He is the stud CB of this year's draft and could come in and make an immediate impact alongside Terrence McGee. He played alongside and replaced DeAngelo Hall and has been almost a mirror image of Hall at VT.

- There isn't a DT worth taking in the top 10. Although there are a handful worth taking in the 15-25 range. Haloti Ngata and Roderique Wright should go first. Gabe Watson should be available to trade up to reasonably.

Free Agents:

- Tra Thomas is expected to be released by the Eagles after this season. Their relationship has become quite strained and he's looking to go elsewhere. I believe our OL problems should mostly be handled in house and in FA with minimal help from the draft (mostly looking to the future and for projects).

- Charles Rogers will be cut by the Detroit Lions. He was the #2 overall pick in the 2003 draft for a reason. He could very well be someone who just can't pull it off on the next level. But he could also be someone who just needs a change of scenery. With Evans and Parrish (and drafting Nance); it wouldn't be that big of a gamble. If he can keep his head on straight, he would make an interesting option at #2 or 3. Especially since he can play more physically than our other WR's.

2006 Buffalo Bills Roster:

QB:

J.P. Losman

Kelly Holcomb

Brodie Croyle (drafted on day two)

RB:

Willis McGahee

Lionel Gates

Shaud Williams

-

Daimon Shelton

Joe Burns

WR:

Lee Evans

Charles Rogers

Roscoe Parrish

Martin Nance

Sam Aiken

Jonathan Smith

TE:

Kevin Everett

Mark Campbell

Tim Euhus

OL:

Tra Thomas (LT)

Mike Williams (LG)

"Duke" Preston ©

Chris Villarial (RG)

Jason Peters (RT)

-

Winston Justice

Charles Spencer

Mike Gandy

Greg Jerman

Marques Ogden

DE:

Aaron Schobel

Chris Kelsay

Ryan Denney

(Day 2 Pick)

DT:

Sam Adams

Gabe Watson

Tim Anderson

Jason Jefferson

Lauvale Sape

LB:

Takeo Spikes

London Fletcher

Angelo Crowell

Mario Haggan

Josh Stamer

(Day 2 Pick)

CB:

Jimmy Williams

Terrence McGee

Eric King

Jabari Greer

S:

Lawyer Milloy

Troy Vincent

Rashad Baker

Coy Wire

ST:

Rian Lindell

Brian Moorman

Mike Schneck

So that's what i'd shoot for. Of course a new coach and comittment to the run would be in check as well <_<

Of course, he'll need to take a pay cut.

Ya know, I wish we could clear this up once and for all (because I am sick of posting it).

MIKE WILLIAMS CANNOT TAKE A PAY CUT WITHOUT GETTING A CONTRACT EXTENSION.

His cap number is so ridiculously high next season. We can cut him and save alot on the cap, or we can extend his deal out and stretch out the cap hit for a number of years. Those are the options. If we feel he may yet come around, and/or he is a good reserve lineman, it may be worth spreading out the cap hit and giving him an extension. However, if we feel he is not capable of playing ANY better than he has been this season, we need to cut ties and move on.

again, ASKING HIM TO TAKE A SALARY CUT IS NOT GOING TO WORK WITHOUT EXTENDING HIS CONTRACT. And therin lies the dillemma.

However, if we feel he is not capable of playing ANY better than he has been this season, we need to cut ties and move on.

527283[/snapback]

Of course he can play better than he has this season, he's been hurt just about all of the year. That's not the critera for whether we should keep him or not. Last year when he was healthy he was our best Olinemen so the Bills have to decide if they think he can stay healthy and if just being our best Olinemen is worth that cash. It would be tough to toss away Williams when this line is already in horrible shape, even with his huge cap hit. Personally I think it's a tough decision, a lot tougher than what most on the board believe it to be.

However, if we feel he is not capable of playing ANY better than he has been this season, we need to cut ties and move on.

527283[/snapback]

The dude is capable of playing better. We've all seen it. When he's not injured and he has some people around him worth a damn, he can give the QB time.

The problem lies in getting him to play to his ability.