Just got back from Media Play

Talonz

All sales final...ALL Media Plays are CLOSING right after Christmas!

527091[/snapback]

Huh. I remember when that one opened up near the McKinnely Mall... it was beautiful. Although, with iTunes and Netflix out now, I don't remember the last time I actually went to a music store.

I'm not really surprised.  A few years back, Media Play expanded into Cleveland...all the stores remained open less than a year.

It seems to me like they're not really well run.

Mike

527169[/snapback]

Media Play seemed cool when it first opened but now if you want to buy music, DVDs or any electronics you go to Best Buy or Circuit City. If you want books, you go to Barnes and Noble (or if you're smart you go to amazon.com).

Basically there's no reason to go to MP anymore.

Media Play seemed cool when it first opened but now if you want to buy music, DVDs or any electronics you go to Best Buy or Circuit City.  If you want books, you go to Barnes and Noble (or if you're smart you go to amazon.com).

527177[/snapback]

Or if you're really smart, you go to buy.com, since they're usually cheaper than Amazon (and have free shipping on $10 orders) <_<

Media Play opened up several stores in Minnesota in the mid-90s. They all closed up within a year or so as well.

CW

Media Play seemed cool when it first opened but now if you want to buy music, DVDs or any electronics you go to Best Buy or Circuit City.  If you want books, you go to Barnes and Noble (or if you're smart you go to amazon.com).

527177[/snapback]

Media Play WAS cool when it first opened. Books, music, movies, and software in one store was a great idea.

Problem is, other retailers evolved to their model...I can go to Borders or Barnes and Noble and get books, movies, or music; I can go to Worst Buy or Circuit sh------- and get movies, music, or software; or I can go to their web sites or Amazon and get anything.

Media Play was a good idea that failed to evolve with the times. Just like the old department store retail model was overtaken by The Borg - er, Wal-Mart.

it's because their prices are absolute crap

even places like FYE in the mall have better prices...it's like media play took the prices and raised them so high assuming that if they just sold one item to a competitor's ten, they'd be ahead

527252[/snapback]

I remember that their DVD prices hovered in the $22+ range that the other stores had for the standard $19 and the online places had for, like, $17.

I guess they thought they'd attract a higher-class crowd with their needless markup and "Media Plaaa-a-ay... is fu-u-un" jingle? <_<

Or if you're really smart, you go to buy.com, since they're usually cheaper than Amazon (and have free shipping on $10 orders) <_<

Media Play opened up several stores in Minnesota in the mid-90s.  They all closed up within a year or so as well.

CW

527219[/snapback]

I think its $25 for free shipping, I just checked buy.com. :huh:

I loved going in and browsing in those stores whenever I went to Buffalo, but I never remember buying ANYTHING.  I guess a lot of other people were doing the same.

527363[/snapback]

me too. I remember buying CDs and looking at the vhs movies in the 90's at the transit store when it opened. Did a lot of browsing because it was fun to do. Too bad, so sad though. wonder what they'll convert that store into next year?

remember back in the day when all their cd's were under $13 or something like that? that was great, then one day I went in and they were just as high as everywhere else. Shocking that they are closing after Christmas, the one on McKinley is an absolute zoo just before...

remember back in the day when all their cd's were under $13 or something like that?  that was great, then one day I went in and they were just as high as everywhere else.  Shocking that they are closing after Christmas, the one on McKinley is an absolute zoo just before...

528553[/snapback]

So is every {insert entertainment store here} from Los Angles to Baltimore. That crowd will just move into the mall next December.

You know, that's the ONLY store, that one on McKinnely, that's ever stopped me from buying a CD because I was under 18 and it had the sticker.

They said they couldn't find their niche in the marketplace. What niche were they looking for, idiots with too much money.

I'll give ONE simple example of the pricing structure that caused me to NEVER set foot in that overpriced place.

Simpson's 5th Season box set - Months after release...

Amazon, Target, and BJs price, about $33.

Media play price-- $55!!!!!!

And this was how their pricing was on MOST things I looked at.

Sorry to hear about a store closing, why would I pay $22 more for something at their store???

I worked there 10 years ago, I remember people saying that the store was in trouble then because they opened the stores way too quickly. It was nice having a discount on CDs and stuff while I worked there, but from what i hear their prices have gone way up. Always seemed to me that they were a poorly put together operation and the stores themselves always seemed to be a cheap second rate store compared to a Circuit City or Best Buy.

I'm not really surprised.  A few years back, Media Play expanded into Cleveland...all the stores remained open less than a year.

It seems to me like they're not really well run.

Mike

527169[/snapback]

I can't speak to how the company is run, but Buffalo had always been one of Media Play's best markets. However the entire chain is closing. They can't compete with the Best Buys of the world. Those stores are willing to take a loss on hot CDs to get people into their stores. Whenever you see a new CD for 10.99 the retailer is most likely losing money on it.