Is this what the Dem's mean when they say..

Polls are great.

521797[/snapback]

If this is scarastic, why? As a "libertarian" (I throw this affliation out only because it is the closest?) I would think that you would want people to decide?... Not some faceless governement.

Or do you think that the polls are wrong, rigged or something else? What are your thoughts?

If it isn't (sacrastic), then great... Polls are great. They sure tell what the people want.

Signed,

????The Riddler????

:blink::)

If this is scarastic, why?  As a "libertarian" (I throw this affliation out only because it is the closest?) I would think that you would want people to decide?... Not some faceless governement.

Or do you think that the polls are wrong, rigged or something else?  What are your thoughts?

If it isn't (sacrastic), then great... Polls are great.  They sure tell what the people want.

Signed,

????The Riddler????

:blink:  :)

521978[/snapback]

Its a progression. First, Dean is wrong because he cited no facts for his claim, then Murtha is Dean, then the poll backing up Dean is wrong. Next, you and I are wrong or partisans or both for pointing any of that out. I smell a Jimmy Carter or Berkley radical reference coming. Maybe regression would be a better description than progression?

What's popular is rarely right and what's right is rarely popular.  That about covers it.

521992[/snapback]

And what is "right" is the course of action the US is currently on in Iraq???????????? If we are relying on the likes of GWB and his people to determine what is "right", perhaps we would be better off by doing what is popular. At the rate things are going in Iraq, I am sure it wouldn't be any worse than what is "right". BUt i am sure the people making such decisions know quite a bit more about what is best for people in Iraq than the people in Iraq do. You know, that sounds almost like a Democrat. In fact, that osunds a great deal like what the righties here on PPP say that Democrats do. Isn't it great that both parties really want the same thing??? Perhaps Wacka and Mickey could lead us in a big group hug!

Eagerly awaiting a non-substantive, sarcastic reply from the "right".

And what is "right" is the course of action the US is currently on in Iraq????????????  If we are relying on the likes of GWB and his people to determine what is "right", perhaps we would be better off by doing what is popular.  At the rate things are going in Iraq, I am sure it wouldn't be any worse than what is "right".  BUt i am sure the people making such decisions know quite a bit more about what is best for people in Iraq than the people in Iraq do.  You know, that sounds almost like a Democrat.  In fact, that osunds a great deal like what the righties here on PPP say that Democrats do.  Isn't it great that both parties really want the same thing???  Perhaps Wacka and Mickey could lead us in a big group hug!

Eagerly awaiting a non-substantive, sarcastic reply from the "right".

522003[/snapback]

Uh, Dad, I was against the Iraq war and I didn't vote for President Bush in either of his elections. I'm also not a Republican and don't vote for them, either. But don't let that get in the way of a good old fashioned non-substantitive rant.

I notice no one has disputed the underlying assertion...that we can't win in Iraq. Given that no one has defined "winning" yet, I think Dean has a point. The fact is there will be a civil war when we leave. If we leave tomorrow there will be a civil war. If we leave after the election, there will be a civil war. If we leave in two years with another 2500 dead GI's, there will be a civil war. Dean is right. Murtha is right. We should have never gone there and the "right" decision was not to go there in the first place (see my quote BEFORE we went in there about Augustine's criteria for a just war and how we didn't meet those standards.) Well...I guess its more fun to shoot the messenger than deal with an unpleasant message.

Uh, Dad, I was against the Iraq war and I didn't vote for President Bush in either of his elections.  I'm also not a Republican and don't vote for them, either.  But don't let that get in the way of a good old fashioned non-substantitive rant.

522029[/snapback]

I am glad you didn't vote for Bush, clearly I raised you right. Or perhaps you turned out OK in spite of the way I raised you.

Still, doing what is right versus what is popular may mean that someone will have to make a decision that may be contrary to the will of the people (that which is popular). Who should make that decision???? If it is going to be made by whoever the current administration may be (Dem, Repub, Libertarian, IBP) it means that someone is making a decision as regards what is best for everybody, regardless how the greater body ploitic may feel. frequently the Dems get bashed for doing such things. Currently it is the Republicans (GW and his cronies) doing that. yet the "hotpockets" Republican crowd here on PPP fail to see that inconsistency (surprise). BTW, my boy, I never said yoiu were one of theose Repubs. You spend far too much time failing to take a stand on anything that would require responsibility for your rants

I am glad you didn't vote for Bush, clearly I raised you right. Or perhaps you turned out OK in spite of the way I raised you.

Still, doing what is right versus what is popular may mean that someone will have to make a decision that may be contrary to the will of the people (that which is popular).  Who should make that decision????  If it is going to be made by whoever the current administration may be (Dem, Repub, Libertarian, IBP) it means that someone is making a decision as regards what is best for everybody, regardless how the greater body ploitic may feel. frequently the Dems get bashed for doing such things.  Currently it is the Republicans (GW and his cronies) doing that.  yet the "hotpockets" Republican crowd here on PPP fail to see that inconsistency (surprise). BTW, my boy, I never said yoiu were one of theose Repubs.  You spend far too much time failing to take a stand on anything that would require responsibility for your rants

522095[/snapback]

Just because a position (getting out of Iraq) is popular doesn't necessarily mean it isn't right.

What's popular is rarely right and what's right is rarely popular.  That about covers it.

521992[/snapback]

I don't think "right" and "wrong" are the issue in this particular case. If the Iraqi people want us there, we can fairly claim to be "liberators" if the Iraqi people do not want us there, we are "invaders". Whether or not it is "right" for us to be there regardless of what the Iraqi's think for our own reasons such as our national security is another issue entirely. As for the issue at hand, ie, Dean claiming that 80% of Iraqis do not want us there and OTR's questioning of that position, the cited poll is perfectly relevant, decisive even. That doesn't mean that Dean's conclusions based on that finding are sound, just that he is apparently right as to the fact that was placed in question.