WWE to go Bankrupt

stevestojan

I read this thread with great interest.

There seems to be much acrimony about steroids and rightfully so.

The part that confuses me is the statement from both sides that wrestling is fake.

Did anyone ever see Chief Jay Strongbow vs. Captain Lou Albano? That didn't look fake to me.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's !@#$ing wrestling. If you're older than 8 years old and still give a sh-- about it, you need to get your head examined, sell your star wars action figure collection, and go find a woman.

521574[/snapback]

:blink::);)

Furst off, my post was not directed at you directly, but rather at the general consensus of people who claim to be too cool or too smart to enjoy the art form of pro-wrestling.

521787[/snapback]

Yep, that would be me.

For 6th graders and mental defectives?  Thats interesting considering that many of the people who run the business have gone to some of the top universities in the nation. 

Uh, OF COURSE those guys have gone to good schools and are very intelligent. They're the ones getting rich by putting on some silly theater performances geared at the retard set. :)

Ever hear the line "there's a sucker born every minute"? I think it's posted over the entrance way to the WWE HQ in Stamford.

Uh, OF COURSE those guys have gone to good schools and are very intelligent.  They're the ones getting rich by putting on some silly theater performances geared at the retard set.  :)

Ever hear the line "there's a sucker born every minute"?  I think it's posted over the entrance way to the WWE HQ in Stamford.

522284[/snapback]

Beat me to it, KD. Nobody said the execs were mental defectives...just the fans (not counting the fans in grade school...I guess). Many smart people make $$ off of the poor taste and decisions of the unlettered and the unwashed.

If wrestling was bad entertainment, then nobody would watch it! There's bad entertainment that comes and goes all the time, sitcoms, reality TV, pop music, not to mention the number of box office crap that is pushed out year after year. Ever wonder why Hollywood has to keep recycling the same movies and remaking old TV shows? Bad entertainment doesn't last, just ask the people who made the Dukes of Hazzard movie, or the people who thought "Joey" would be a successful sitcom.

I'll be the first to admit that there have been some stupid elements to wrestling over the years that have mostly been the result of writing or bad management, just look at WCW. The thing I don't understand is the mockery made of the lack on intelligence in the business or its fans. I never hear people insulting stuntmen in Hollywood for doing what they do, which is pretty damn close to what wrestlers go through, only on a weekly basis.

Yea OK, there are a lot of crazy wrestling fans out there, I have been to some shows where I have heard some odd conversations and near arguments, over basically nothing, some guy wanted to start an argument with me once because we disagreed over Hulk Hogan's birthday!!(and yes I know its pathetic that I know that) How is an obessed wretling fan any different from someone who obesseses over fantasy football and is in 5-10 leagues each year, or a movie buff that watches 3-4 movies a week, or someone who is addicted to gambling? Everyone has their vice.

Bottom line, WWE, TNA and the hundreds or promotions in this country and around the world are not going anywhere. Raw is the highest rated weekly cable show in the country. More people watch it than Sunday Night Football, and Nip/Tuck damn near every week. And yes more than the NHL, MLB, NBA, MLS, and any other type of national broadcast major professional sport combined. I know that may scare many out there, but its true.

The fans and the people in the business will defend it until the end, if you don't love it, there almost no way to explain what is so great about, and this is all falling on deaf ears.

If wrestling was bad entertainment, then nobody would watch it!  There's bad entertainment that comes and goes all the time, sitcoms, reality TV, pop music, not to mention the number of box office crap that is pushed out year after year.  Ever wonder why Hollywood has to keep recycling the same movies and remaking old TV shows?  Bad entertainment doesn't last, just ask the people who made the Dukes of Hazzard movie, or the people who thought "Joey" would be a successful sitcom.

I'll be the first to admit that there have been some stupid elements to wrestling over the years that have mostly been the result of writing or bad management, just look at WCW.  The thing I don't understand is the mockery made of the lack on intelligence in the business or its fans.  I never hear people insulting stuntmen in Hollywood for doing what they do, which is pretty damn close to what wrestlers go through, only on a weekly basis. 

Yea OK, there are a lot of crazy wrestling fans out there, I have been to some shows where I have heard some odd conversations and near arguments, over basically nothing, some guy wanted to start an argument with me once because we disagreed over Hulk Hogan's birthday!!(and yes I know its pathetic that I know that)  How is an obessed wretling fan any different from someone who obesseses over fantasy football and is in 5-10 leagues each year, or a movie buff that watches 3-4 movies a week, or someone who is addicted to gambling?  Everyone has their vice.

Bottom line, WWE, TNA and the hundreds or promotions in this country and around the world are not going anywhere.  Raw is the highest rated weekly cable show in the country.  More people watch it than Sunday Night Football, and Nip/Tuck damn near every week.  And yes more than the NHL, MLB, NBA, MLS, and any other type of national broadcast major professional sport combined.  I know that may scare many out there, but its true.

The fans and the people in the business will defend it until the end, if you don't love it, there almost no way to explain what is so great about, and this is all falling on deaf ears.

522302[/snapback]

The problem is that I don't see people wearing T-shirts of their favorite actor or stuntman. They don't argue which stuntman can perform the best. The problem is this represents what our country has come to. Most people of sound mind don't "get" wrestling. No one will agrue how much $ it generates or anything on the business side. We just can't figure out why. Am I supposed to be resigned to the fact that our country is full of tards? :)

If wrestling was bad entertainment, then nobody would watch it!  There's bad entertainment that comes and goes all the time, sitcoms, reality TV, pop music, not to mention the number of box office crap that is pushed out year after year.  Ever wonder why Hollywood has to keep recycling the same movies and remaking old TV shows?  Bad entertainment doesn't last, just ask the people who made the Dukes of Hazzard movie, or the people who thought "Joey" would be a successful sitcom.

I'll be the first to admit that there have been some stupid elements to wrestling over the years that have mostly been the result of writing or bad management, just look at WCW.  The thing I don't understand is the mockery made of the lack on intelligence in the business or its fans.  I never hear people insulting stuntmen in Hollywood for doing what they do, which is pretty damn close to what wrestlers go through, only on a weekly basis. 

Yea OK, there are a lot of crazy wrestling fans out there, I have been to some shows where I have heard some odd conversations and near arguments, over basically nothing, some guy wanted to start an argument with me once because we disagreed over Hulk Hogan's birthday!!(and yes I know its pathetic that I know that)  How is an obessed wretling fan any different from someone who obesseses over fantasy football and is in 5-10 leagues each year, or a movie buff that watches 3-4 movies a week, or someone who is addicted to gambling?  Everyone has their vice.

Bottom line, WWE, TNA and the hundreds or promotions in this country and around the world are not going anywhere.  Raw is the highest rated weekly cable show in the country.  More people watch it than Sunday Night Football, and Nip/Tuck damn near every week.  And yes more than the NHL, MLB, NBA, MLS, and any other type of national broadcast major professional sport combined.  I know that may scare many out there, but its true.

522302[/snapback]

Wow, I'm dumb-struck. By that I mean I was just struck by a big boatload of DUMB. To think that bad entertainment isn't widely popular is just crazy. There are PLENTY of moronic people...and they are the easiest to convert. Just because some bad enetertainment doesn't last doesn't logically mean that which lasts is good. Here's a simple rule of thumb: If it's popular it's PROBABLY bad. That's not always true...but it works in most cases, in my experience. Call me a snob or an elitist. When it comes to culture, I am both...to a degree.

With that said, ratings are far too complicated for you to understand, I'm sure...so I won't try explaining the details. Suffice it to say that wrestling has a very small, but loyal, audience. The same people watch every week. In the fragmented world of cable ratings, this means a competitve weekly performance. But, if you look at how many diferent households (or people) watched wrestling or football (on ESPN) over the course of two months, football's reach easily outpaces that of wrestling.

As far as it being a vice...well, fine...I dunno and who cares? As you say, we all have vices. I don't think wrestling was taking a bad rap for being a vice (at least not in this thread).

Why does this wrestling discussion have to pop up every week? There are millions of wrestling watchers world wide, that's why they sell out most of the arenas. Everyone has interests in different things, and just because you don't understand it, doesn't make the person who does any more dumb than those who don't. Some of you are quick to criticize, but i've seen the TBD tailgating pictures, and I bet not even 2% of the people here can withstand what it takes to be a professional wrestler on a daily basis.

Add that to the records her sister and Brittany sell and thats a whole LOT of popular bad.

522367[/snapback]

Brittany and Jessica have talent, it just might not be singing. Well, Jessica can sing but I don't think anyone care.

Beat me to it, KD.  Nobody said the execs were mental defectives...just the fans (not counting the fans in grade school...I guess).  Many smart people make $$ off of the poor taste and decisions of the unlettered and the unwashed.

522301[/snapback]

Oh yeah, those guys have made gobs of money. WWE is a long time client of the local Deloitte & Touche office going back to before my time there. One of my good friends worked the account for years. The 'IRS' character back in the 90s was supposedly based on a Stamford D&T Tax Partner.

Why does this wrestling discussion have to pop up every week? There are millions of wrestling watchers world wide, that's why they sell out most of the arenas. Everyone has interests in different things, and just because you don't understand it, doesn't make the person who does any more dumb than those who don't. Some of you are quick to criticize, but i've seen the TBD tailgating pictures, and I bet not even 2% of the people here can withstand what it takes to be a professional wrestler on a daily basis.

522351[/snapback]

Yse, just like .02% of people have what it takes to play in the NFL. Just because it's hard to do or physically demanding doesn't mean it's worth watching. I know a couple of guys who jackhammer. Their aren't a lot of people who can do that but I'm not going to sit around for 3 hour and wacth them. (unless they are shirtless of coarse, wait that's wrestling)

522302[/snapback]

TNA? Seriously? Do the programs at the arenas come with those cool mud flaps with the naked woman on them? Excuse me while I go pick the ramen noodles out of my mullet. :P

I can't believe they actually *call* it that. :D:D

All joking aside, try and explain it. Please. I just don't understand how grown men can watch it, unless of course, they're watching it with their 10 year old kid.