Play of the Game

SouthernMan

Dumbass play of the game...

Bills up 23-3 with just over 4 minutes left in 3rd quarter.

1st and goal at the Dolphin 4 yd line.

WHY THE HELL IS A PASS PLAY CALLED?!?!?!?

It's first and goal at the four!!!! RUN RUN Rudolph.

Even if they somehow don't make the endzone, it's a gimme field goal!

7 points would have sealed the deal, forcing the Dolphins to score at least 4 touchdowns (and all 2 pointers)to take the lead. 3 points and the Dolphins would need 3 TDs and 3 converted 2 pointers to take the lead.

But Noooooooo. The Bills coaches decide to get cute with their play calling and throw a touch pass at the goal line to stone-hands and rock-head Josh Reed. Yeah, he's the guy I want invloved at this critical juncture. Meanwhile, Eric Moulds is sitting on the bench.

At least Moulds would have had brains enough to take an offenseive interference call if it was necessary to prevent the interception. I'll take 1st and goal at the 14 anyday over change of possession. Reed just stands there like the dumbass he is and lets Madison step in front of him and take the ball. If I'm Josh Reed, the second I see Madison get position on me, I'm gonna knock the guy down.

Bad play call, bad pass by JP, and a retard wearing # 82. Not a winning combination.

That's the play, more than any other, that cost them this game. Maybe Brian Wilson and Mike Love should be hired to handle the red zone offense.

Is it too early to start getting psyched up for the offseason stuff?

Whatever dude.  It's a play-action pass from the goal line.  Every fuggin team does it.  There is a lot to blame this coaching staff for, but calling that play wasn't the problem.  Don't throw the goddamn interception.

520769[/snapback]

I couldn't disagree more.

Quality teams run the ball from the 5 yard line in.

It's a no-brainer. If you can't pick up 4 yards in three rushing attempts, you should seriously consider the CFL.

they should have ran, but if JP puts the ball at the corner of the goalline, its a TD, but he threw it behind the WR, so it was a INT.

520778[/snapback]

Right. But had the playcall NOT been made, the INT would NOT have happened and the game would have been utterly different.

I couldn't disagree more.

Quality teams run the ball from the 5 yard line in.

It's a no-brainer. If you can't pick up 4 yards in three rushing attempts, you should seriously consider the CFL.

520771[/snapback]

Especially when you have the BEST back in the NFL. :(

Whatever dude.  It's a play-action pass from the goal line.  Every fuggin team does it.  There is a lot to blame this coaching staff for, but calling that play wasn't the problem.  Don't throw the goddamn interception.

520769[/snapback]

It's a short field with little room for seperation. Any score effectively wins the game for you. The short field and inexperienced QB make passing even riskier.

This is the time where you want to play the odds and go with the best chance for putting at least 3 points on the board. As stated previously...3 points and the game is all but over.

If they felt it was absolutely necessary to pass, than at least make it a corner endzone outroute where at worst, it can be thrown high and go incomplete if the receiver can't get to it.

They should have run it. Plain and simple.

Whatever dude. It's a play-action pass from the goal line. Every fuggin team does it. There is a lot to blame this coaching staff for, but calling that play wasn't the problem. Don't throw the goddamn interception.

Exactly. If you're going to do it, that is certainly the right down to do it on. I liked the call and am glad that they were wiling to attack teh endzone instead of laying down and settling for a FG attempt like so many gutless teams do these days (and often see it come back to bite them). JP's gotta know better than to throw that ball; it's all a part of the learning process as he figures out just how fast NFL DB's really are.

Right. But had the playcall NOT been made, the INT would NOT have happened and the game would have been utterly different.

520781[/snapback]

JSP - but if JP doesn't make the rookie QB mistake and it is a TD - we're all gushing about a great win and still talking playoffs.

So many ifs - it was a good call, poorly executed on JPs part who had a good 1st Q and an average rest of the game. It sucks - but JP was always going to make these mistakes this year - the bad part is that the D can't hold a 21 point lead for 3 quarters. Hell it can't hold a 20 point lead for 1 quarter.

The problems are everywhere...

520769[/snapback]

First and goal at the 3, play action should NEVER have been called. Sure other teams call play action on the goal line....on 3rd down.

JSP - but if JP doesn't make the rookie QB mistake and it is a TD - we're all gushing about a great win and still talking playoffs.

So many ifs - it was a good call, poorly executed on JPs part who had a good 1st Q and an  average rest of the game.  It sucks - but JP was always going to make these mistakes this year - the bad part is that the D can't hold a 21 point lead for 3 quarters. Hell it can't hold a 20 point lead for 1 quarter.

The problems are everywhere...

520794[/snapback]

I'm sorry, but IMO it is NEVER a good call to pass from within the 5 yard line.

NEVER.

That's not football. Football is running it at the gut of your opponent, breaking their spirit and hammering it home. Cutesy little touch passes within the 5 are a recipe for disaster.

Josh Reed except one or two games this year has been money. The guy always blocks, and always is open. Now take away the one or two games where he put stones on before the game, he has been a solid #2 or #3 WR this year.

As for the rest of your statement, refer to the audio, where Madison is yelling that he knew they were going to do that and I told you so. Basically Mularky is teletyping our plays and everyone knows WTF is coming, based on personnel and alignments. Play action does you know good if the other team no whats coming.

NEVER.

That's not football. Football is running it at the gut of your opponent, breaking their spirit and hammering it home. Cutesy little touch passes within the 5 are a recipe for disaster.

520800[/snapback]

In the 1920-50's maybe. This is 2005 NFL, not 15 blokes going both ways with no face cages.

It wasn't a cutesy touch pass either - it was a sound decision to play-action pass in an obvious running situation. ALL teams do it - it is a good call - it was badly executed. Simple as.

I love running the football - we SHOULD do it more - but that play, damn, that's just 2005 NFL football. Hopefully JP knows this now.

First and goal at the 3, play action should NEVER have been called. Sure other teams call play action on the goal line....on 3rd down.

520796[/snapback]

If you're going to run play action down there, 1st down is the down you do it on because that's when it usually works.

It never works on 3rd down.

Exactly. If you're going to do it, that is certainly the right down to do it on. I liked the call and am glad that they were wiling to attack teh endzone instead of laying down and settling for a FG attempt like so many gutless teams do these days (and often see it come back to bite them). JP's gotta know better than to throw that ball; it's all a part of the learning process as he figures out just how fast NFL DB's really are.

520792[/snapback]

You're missing the point.

What's so wrong with "settling for a field goal" when you know that's pretty much all you should need to put this game away?

The game isn't about scoring touchdowns. It's about winning. They lost when they could most likely have won it by scoring 3 points on that drive. Their best chance get those points was by pounding the ball. Barring a (unrecovered) fumble or a really bad field goal attempt, the Bills would have been up by 23 points. THAT's the worst case scenerio. I think their chances of Willis or JP running into the endzone were fairly decent as well.

All in all, a pass play at that point was riskier than just playing conservatively.

They blew it.

NEVER.

520800[/snapback]

So you're saying the 4 yard pass to Evans to make it 21-0 was a bad call then?

Yes.

That ball was close to being an INT, too.

520825[/snapback]

Okay, just checkin'. The INT took points away from us for sure but Miami did not score any after the turnover. To me the play of the game was the 57 yard completion on the Fins last possession. When they hit that pass I was singing Good Night Irene.

This coaching staff should be drawn and quartered.