Trying to put this to rest

Based on last night's game, every sports writer in the country is preparing to annoit the Colts as the next team to go undefeated. I was pretty young when the Dolphns went 17-0, so I don't remember whether or not the starters played at the end of the season. I realize it was a different era, but does anyone remember their last few games and whether or not the subs got a lot of playng time?

I'm trying to settle a bet a work. My contention is that the starters on that team got progressively less playing time at the end of the season but since coverage of the NFL wasn't quite so obessive as it is now, noboy noticed.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Based on last night's game, every sports writer in the country is preparing to annoit the Colts as the next team to go undefeated.  I was pretty young when the Dolphns went 17-0, so I don't remember whether or not the starters played at the end of the season.  I realize it was a different era, but does anyone remember their last few games and whether or not the subs got a lot of playng time?

I'm trying to settle a bet a work.  My contention is that the starters on that team got progressively less playing time at the end of the season but since coverage of the NFL wasn't quite so obessive as it is now, noboy noticed.

515562[/snapback]

Boy, that's a while ago. :rolleyes:

My dim recollection is that they didn't - going undefeated was quite a prize, and there was less cold calculating going on. Winning trumped preservation and scheming.

But remember - it was a 14 game season, there was no FA, rosters were larger, so a good team's bench had pretty good players. And subbing - for a well-stocked club - wasn't the drop-off it might be these days.

I guess if you care to make the effort, you could do some searching and get the stats of their remaining games, at least finding out if the so-called skill player's time was lessened. Good luck!

Based on last night's game, every sports writer in the country is preparing to annoit the Colts as the next team to go undefeated.  I was pretty young when the Dolphns went 17-0, so I don't remember whether or not the starters played at the end of the season.  I realize it was a different era, but does anyone remember their last few games and whether or not the subs got a lot of playng time?

I'm trying to settle a bet a work.  My contention is that the starters on that team got progressively less playing time at the end of the season but since coverage of the NFL wasn't quite so obessive as it is now, noboy noticed.

515562[/snapback]

My first inclination is to say no, they did not rest their starters. However, Bob Griese was hurt and Eral Morral(sp) was in there, so going to the backup at QB prolly not an option.

Also, I think the key there was when did home field advantage get determined by regular season record?

Was not in place that year, as the Dolphins played a palyoff game at Pittsburgh. Man could you imagine being undefeated and having to play a road playoff game?

So, if home field was not on the line, man they prolly could have started resting people in week 9, the rest of the AFC east was that bad, kinda like this year

BTW, just reading some quick NFL history, that was the first Super Bowl to be televised in the host market. Could you imagine putting that sucker in LA know and saying LA will be blacked out.

515562[/snapback]

Looks like the starters played the whole game: http://www.phins.com/72phins/121672.html

Was not in place that year, as the Dolphins played a palyoff game at Pittsburgh. Man could you imagine being undefeated and having to play a road playoff game?

515642[/snapback]

And another little known note, the Fish were three point UNDERDOGS to the Redskins in the Super Bowl...

Link

as much as i hate the dolphins their record is very impressive and to me would still be a "harder"perfect season than if the colts get a perfect season.i know people will say there are more playoff rounds now so the colts will of had a tougher time of it,but back in 1972 they used to alternate the championship games and miami with their undefeated record had to play the championship game in pittsburgh.and they shared two qb's that year not one like peyton will do.with home field advantage and a 1st round bye i just dont think the colts will have as a tough a time as the fish.i still hate the fish so go colts lol.

I'm glad the Bills don't play them. We'd screw around and win, then the pro football world would hate us for that, too.

516545[/snapback]

i'd love to be the team that knocked them off! tired of also hearing how the mighty dolphins stopped the '85 bears from going undefeated.

Let me provide a little feedback for you as the era of the 1970's. The Dolphins 1972 perfect season was built on them playing one team on their pre-playoff schedule that had a winning record. Unlike today where you have parity scheduling the 1972 Dolphins played 14 regular season games. They played in a division with the Jets, Bills, Colts and Patriots. They played two games against these teams. The Jets were 7-7 on the year, the Bills 4-9-1, the Patriots 3-11 and the Cols 4-10. They also played the 1-13 Houston Oilers, 2-12 San Diego Chargers, the 4-10 New York Giants, the 3-11 St. Louis Cardinals, the 5-7-2 Kansas City Chiefs and the only winning team, the 11-3 Minnesota Vikings. They played a crappy Cleveland Browns team in the 1st playoff game, got the still developing Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC Championship game who got their only because of the Franco Harris Immaculate reception and then played the way over-the-hill Washington Redskins of George Allen in the Super Bowl.

With that schedule its really not hard to have a "perfect season". What really makes me vomit is that I have to see, read and hear those miserable gravy training 72 Dolphins have their champaign toast when the last undefeated team loses their first game of the season. I hope those stupid bastards choke on their champaign as their perfect season was a by-product of a soft as a baby's ass schedule and weak competition in the NFC. In fact their 1973 yeam who lost two games was much better and just happened to lose two games and blew throught he Bengals and Raiders and then a much better Vikings team was the better team.

Think of this as simply a history less.

515562[/snapback]

as much as i hate the dolphins their record is very impressive and to me would still be a "harder"perfect season than if the colts get a perfect season.i know people will say there are more playoff rounds now so the colts will of had a tougher time of it,but back in 1972  they used to alternate the championship games and miami with their undefeated record had to play the championship game in pittsburgh.and they shared two qb's that year not one like peyton will do.with home field advantage and a 1st round bye i just dont think the colts will have as a tough a time as the fish.i still hate the fish so go colts lol.

516540[/snapback]

yeah-those 2 extra regular season games they will have to win don't mean diddly either :doh:

If memory serves me correctly, that was the year the Bills were beating the Fins late in the game. Some Manny Fernandez,a fin Defensive Lineman, took the ball on a handoff and scored for the Fins D. I can still hear Van saying, how could you hand off to a Defensive lineman. I wish I could see a replay of that.

Anyone else here remember that play?

Don't remember that play. But, I know the Bills came very close to beating them at least once........Marck's assessment is spot on. That team is so overrated. They had such an easy schedule and I think they had a few close calls even against those cupcakes.