Will MM last

nuklz2594

Just a question will MM last through the next season if he has the dismal record as this year? Can't understand why the Bills in succession have hired head coaches without any head coaching experience. I would like to see the Bills hire a college head coach from a quality college program. Would anyone object to having someone like Wisconsin's Barry Alvarez take over the coaching position. His offensive blocking schemes are the same as the Denver Broncos. He understands how football should be played in the frigid northeast.

Your thoughts?

I suspect neither MM nor TD will last beyond this season. First and foremost TD did not see two important things...great teams are built from the trenches out, and second that if you have Drew Bledsoe you have to build a Drew Bledsoe offense. That would have meant keeping Travis Henry and using the draft choices to draft OL. McKinnie over Williams, keeping Jonas Jennings, drafting a great tight end (Jason Witten not being a bad choice) and keeping Washington or Williams even if it means letting others go. Very bad choices on TD's part. MM's play calling and coaching has been horrible for some time. There have been very good coaching recruitment coups in the last few years and we have made two bad ones.

Actually I think the deal with MM is pretty much linked to TD. If Wilson pull the trigger on TD, MM is probably not going to be retained by a new GM... Probably.

But looking at alternatives for TD - you might think Modrak gets a shot, in which case MM might be retained...

IMO - neither will go.

Actually I think the deal with MM is pretty much linked to TD. If Wilson pull the trigger on TD, MM is probably not going to be retained by a new GM... Probably.

But looking at alternatives for TD - you might think Modrak gets a shot, in which case MM might be retained...

IMO - neither will go.

515254[/snapback]

At this point, Nick has most likely nailed it. I don't see a big shake up (TD-MM) yet,

which is not to say that either one of them has had anything of real substance to hang their hats on. For every plus, theres a handfull of minuses.

The biggest mistakes are obvious (Phat Pat and benign neglect of the O-line).

IMO - neither will go.

515254[/snapback]

More likely we get one or two new coordinators (I think Clements is out the door one way or another, and Gray may or may not find himself a college coaching gig). I imagine some position guys will be dismissed, too. This is aside from the obvious personnel moves that are going to be very difficult for TD to pull off -- the kind that give us a roster that makes some of the coaches look better than they may actually be (see Jerry Gray).

But we'll see. I am not sure Mularkey looks as rosy to TD (or esp. RW) if he loses 4 or all 5 of these last games, which is a distinct possibility. More likely, we'll find a way to win 2 -- 3 if we are darned lucky, and Mularkey stays with a short leash for '06.

Like I said in another thread. MM has a five year deal. He is in year two. They can him after this year, Ralph will be paying him for three years when MM isnt even here. Ralph will not let that happen. He was pissed enough one of my co-workers was telling me when he had to pay Wade for one year. MM is here for five years, lets face it. Like it or not.

More likely we get one or two new coordinators (I think Clements is out the door one way or another, and Gray may or may not find himself a college coaching gig).  I imagine some position guys will be dismissed, too.  This is aside from the obvious personnel moves that are going to be very difficult for TD to pull off -- the kind that give us a roster that makes some of the coaches look better than they may actually be (see Jerry Gray).

But we'll see.  I am not sure Mularkey looks as rosy to TD (or esp. RW) if he loses 4 or all 5 of these last games, which is a distinct possibility.  More likely, we'll find a way to win 2 -- 3 if we are darned lucky, and Mularkey stays with a short leash for '06.

515269[/snapback]

Looking down the coaching roster the only guys likely to take a hit this year are Clements or Gray. I think it HIGHLY unlikely that both will go - that's just too much change.

As for the other coaches, think about it:

Offense

Wyche will probably remain QBs as a result of his health.

McNally has a mulligan to work with the OL again - largely down to the fact that MW proved a total bust and Peters looks to be coming along very well under his tutelage.

Miller (TEs) - likely candidate for a reshuffle as TEs have been underwhelming. I really don't see the need to shuffle the pack this low.

Studesville, Tolbert, Verducci - unlikely to be reshuffled also.

Defense

Krumrie - loved by everyone, depsite the DL basically sucking. Can't motivate Big Sam and the DL has been woeful this year. It's too much of a reach to see him promoted or sacked.

Szabo - old, he could retire - but DBs seem to be performing well under him.

Lester - what does he do???? I think Chucks time could be up. Sacrificial lamb maybe - not a huge loss, he's ginger :D

Blackmon - no way we lose this guy.

So no way there is wholesale change even if the OC or DC is 'rotated'.

IMO - the coaching roster only changes if Gray gets his HC shot.

I suspect neither MM nor TD will last beyond this season.  First and foremost TD did not see two important things...great teams are built from the trenches out, and second that if you have Drew Bledsoe you have to build a Drew Bledsoe offense.  That would have meant keeping Travis Henry and using the draft choices to draft OL.  McKinnie over Williams, keeping Jonas Jennings, drafting a great tight end (Jason Witten not being a bad choice) and keeping Washington or Williams even if it means letting others go.  Very bad choices on TD's part.  MM's play calling and coaching has been horrible for some time.  There have been very good coaching recruitment coups in the last few years and we have made two bad ones.

515251[/snapback]

by the way, for anyone who's paying attention, the best OLT high pick from the 02 draft has been levi jones (#10 overall), not mckinnie.

Like I said in another thread. MM has a five year deal. He is in year two. They can him after this year, Ralph will be paying him for three years when MM isnt even here. Ralph will not let that happen. He was pissed enough one of my co-workers was telling me when he had to pay Wade for one year. MM is here for five years, lets face it. Like it or not.

515284[/snapback]

Not really. If someone else hires him, Ralphs outlay is reduced by any contract they sign him to. So say for example, he is signed as OC at Miami for 750K, since he is paid 1 million per by Ralph then Ralph would only pay the 250K difference. That is how it works with coaching contracts. Now if Mularkey stays off an NFL staff, and just goes to the booth then RW would have to pay his salary for the remaining three.

IMO - neither will go.

515254[/snapback]

If RWS clears the house, then he will be getting a GM and HC from the outside.

What has Modrak done that RWS will make him the GM....Part of the

responsibility for the inability to build a line goes to the scouting department

and Modrak heads that.

So, Ralph has fired TD, and hired... Ralph Wilson Stadium?

515388[/snapback]

I just thought he meant they would pull any two yolks from outside the stadium to run the team and coach the team. I mean look out there on sundays at how many volunteers that think they can do a better job.

Looking down the coaching roster the only guys likely to take a hit this year are Clements or Gray.  I think it HIGHLY unlikely that both will go - that's just too much change.

As for the other coaches, think about it:

Offense

Wyche will probably remain QBs as a result of his health.

McNally has a mulligan to work with the OL again - largely down to the fact that MW proved a total bust and Peters looks to be coming along very well under his tutelage.

Miller (TEs) - likely candidate for a reshuffle as TEs have been underwhelming. I really don't see the need to shuffle the pack this low.

Studesville, Tolbert, Verducci - unlikely to be reshuffled also.

Defense

Krumrie - loved by everyone, depsite the DL basically sucking.  Can't motivate Big Sam and the DL has been woeful this year. It's too much of a reach to see him promoted or sacked.

Szabo - old, he could retire - but DBs seem to be performing well under him.

Lester - what does he do???? I think Chucks time could be up. Sacrificial lamb maybe - not a huge loss, he's ginger  :rolleyes:

Blackmon - no way we lose this guy.

So no way there is wholesale change even if the OC or DC is 'rotated'.

IMO - the coaching roster only changes if Gray gets his HC shot.

515325[/snapback]

IF they make coordinator changes, I hope (no....make that pray) that they don't promote from within and/or get more first time coordinators. We need experience.

I think that Mike Mularkey is going to be the Head Coach in 2006. His situation will NOT be too unlike Gregg Williams in that he will be entering his 3rd year, and his job will depend on his team getting to the playoffs! Steve Mariucci got chopped by Matt Miien with 2 and a half years remaining on his contract! This is the scenario that MM will be flying around with in year 3. Win or else!!! Upgrades will be accomplished and his team will be given a mandate by Tom Donahoe that the time is NOW!!!

Guys,

Donahoe is here to stay like it or not. Ralph Wilson has the utmost respect for him and loves the job he is doing. They have become close friends. With Bulter and Polian, the relationship started to deteriorate, which contributed to their exits. Not the case here.

Donahoe stays.

Just a question will MM last through the next season if he has the dismal record as this year?  Can't understand why the Bills in succession have hired head coaches without any head coaching experience.  I would like to see the Bills hire a  college head coach from  a quality college program.  Would anyone object to having someone like Wisconsin's Barry Alvarez take over the coaching position.  His offensive blocking schemes are the same as the Denver Broncos.  He understands how football should be played in the frigid northeast. 

Your thoughts?

515237[/snapback]

Barry is 60 years old and has never coached in the pros at any level. While Barry is likable enough, such a move would set the team back another 3 years. At least Nick Saban coached in the pros.

Would anyone object to having someone like Wisconsin's Barry Alvarez take over the coaching position.  His offensive blocking schemes are the same as the Denver Broncos.  He understands how football should be played in the frigid northeast. 

Your thoughts?

515237[/snapback]

Barry is 60 years old and has never coached in the pros at any level. While Barry is likable enough, such a move would set the team back another 3 years. At least Nick Saban coached in the pros.

515638[/snapback]

LMAO thats not going to happen. Barry is the badgers AD next year from what I thought.

Guys,

Donahoe is here to stay like it or not. Ralph Wilson has the utmost respect for him and loves the job he is doing. They have become close friends.  With Bulter and Polian, the relationship started to deteriorate, which contributed to their exits.  Not the case here.

Donahoe stays.

515632[/snapback]

With JB, it was purely a matter of money.....and their relationship deteorated

due to a contract spat....RW was offering peanuts, when teams like SD were

willing to thrown top dollar money at JB.