Everything the BILLS Currently Ain't...

Alaska Darin

The Sabres certainly are. 5-0-1 in their last six with tonight's win over the Habs at Alphabet Rink. Another pair of power play goals and a stellar performance in net by Marty Biron.

Hockey is fun again and players like Adam Mair, Paul Gaustad, Tony Lydman, and Ales Kotalik are making it so. Good job, boys.

The Sabres certainly are.  5-0-1 in their last six with tonight's win over the Habs at Alphabet Rink.  Another pair of power play goals and a stellar performance in net by Marty Biron. 

Hockey is fun again and players like Adam Mair, Paul Gaustad, Tony Lydman, and Ales Kotalik are making it so.  Good job, boys.

512811[/snapback]

that is because there is parity in the NHL... MLB could learn something from this

that is because there is parity in the NHL... MLB could learn something from this

513065[/snapback]

Don't let the cap cloud your views. It has been about 10 years since the NFL instituted the cap.

The last 4 WS Champions have been:

Angels

Marlins

Red Sox

White Sox

Besides the Marlins (expansion team the last decade), I don't recall the other three winning a WS in recent history. I am not going to fail to admit that the Halos, Marlins, BoSox, and ChiSox these last 4 years did a lot to put down going to a cap. What timing??

IMO, I say there is parity in baseball. It just gets clouded in the Juggernaut they call "the season." If the major leagues would go to a 16 team playoff format... Heck, let everybody into a "playoff tournament"... You would see a lot of surprising results. You wouldn't see that in football because the truly "good" teams would be up for the games and wouldn't lose. Again, IMO... Truly fugged up opinion!

MLB:

Only 6 (well under roughly 1/3 of the league @ 20 %) baseball teams in the majors haven't been to the WS in the last thirty years. Tampa (<30 yrs. old), Texas, Seattle (almost 30 yrs. old), Wash/Mont (almost 30 yrs. old), ChiCubs, and Colorado (<30 yrs. old). All very young clubs with the exception of the Cubs and Rangers.

Now look at the winners of the WS in the past 30 years... Of those 24 different teams that made it to the WS, only 5 failed to win the WS (Cleveland, Houston, Milwaukee, San Diego, and San Fran).

The NFL:

10 (@ 31 % of the NFL) football teams in the NFL that haven't sniffed (okay, maybe "sniff" is a bad word) the SB in the last 30 years. NYJ, Cleveland (new Clev, <30 yrs. old), Indy/Balt, Jax, Houston (<30 yrs. old) , KC, Detroit, NO, Seattle, and Arizonza.

Looking at the winners of the SB the past 30 years... Of those 22 different teams that made it to the SB, 9 failed to bring home the Lombardi Trophy (Buffalo :blink:, Miami (missed by one year since 1974 was 31 years ago... :doh:), Cin, Tenn, San Diego, Philly, Minn, Carolina, Atlanta).

I am still gonna wait for the numbers to come in through the years. Even with salary cap, I want to see if the NFL can get those 9 teams down to about 5.

The NFL might move closer in closing this gap this year with Indy (and maybe Seattle) finally making the SB.

Still pretty even... Even with the NFL and almost 10 years of cap under its belt.

End of Rant.

I disagree.  The rule changes have helped the Sabres a hell of alot more than the "cap."

513172[/snapback]

Yeah, I was going to say that the Bills would be riding a five-game winning streak too if you automatically awarded them 15 yards on offense for every gadget play and a sack for every blitz... :blink:

Going to see the Sabres Friday, seats in 106. I usually don't even bother watching hockey before the Super Bowl...

I disagree.  The rule changes have helped the Sabres a hell of alot more than the "cap."

513172[/snapback]

I love the new rules! In the past, during the regular season, I would only watch the Sabres...now, like football, I can watch pretty much any game, any teams...the Sabres have been a blast to watch(unless they are playing the Sens)...if it were up to me though, I would make one minor tweak in the OT format. As much as I really like the shoot-out (and I was not to thrilled with it going in) I would let the home team send their best forward against the opposing goalie, if he scores, the visiting team would then be given the opportunity to match. If he doesn't match the home teams' scorer, game over...I am just afraid that with as many shoot outs as there will likely be, it could take some of the dramatic affect away. I know most here don't care for the NBA, but there was a time, when a slam dunk was the exception rather than the rule...it was an exciting play...now it just yawn inducing...

Im with you on the first part of the post buftex. Many exciting teams to watch. I watch most Leaf games. Most have been very exciting, including tonights tilt with the Canadians. And right after that, San Jose vs Detroit. Fantastic game with not only lots of scoring(7-6 Red Wings), it had a ton of hitting. This goes against the general opinion that hitting is all but gone with the new rules. Teams mentioned above are always fun to watch but Ive also think that Carolina, Atlanta, Edmonton, Ottawa and of course Buffalo are all playing an exciting brand of hockey. Really enjoying it this season. Lockout was the best thing that ever happened to the NHL. IMHO.

This goes against the general opinion that hitting is all but gone with the new rules.

No kidding. There can't be anyone left who worried about that going in that still feels that way, unless they haven't been watching. My Sabres/Habs favorite shift the other night - Kotalik hitting two Habs behind their net within a second or so of each other to control the puck.

Part of the fun this year is seeing all the players throughout the league who are just breaking out under the new rules. The talent that got them there is now on full display, instead of the ability of coaches to stifle offense with a scheme.

You know, I certainly loved my kids when they were newborns, but when they began sleeping through the night, I fell in love with them all over again. That's how I feel about hockey today.

Part of the fun this year is seeing all the players throughout the league who are just breaking out under the new rules. The talent that got them there is now on full display, instead of the ability of coaches to stifle offense with a scheme.

513290[/snapback]

Amen to that. What was fun about the Sharks game last night was it looked like there was no scheme possible to shut down the combined speed on both teams. Kinda felt sorry for Osgood and Nabokov in net.