Is Coaching the Real Problem?

Pass the Pipe

I for one have been extremely critical of Tom Donahoe’s personnel decisions more so than the coaching hires, but after watching yesterday’s quality second game that order might have to be switched. Both the Broncos and Cowboys featured plenty of old receivers and several high profile re-treads yet collectively they played like competent football players. Regardless of playing in front of a much better line that allows him to go through his progressive reads, the Dallas version of Bledsoe looked much more disciplined and should I dare say cerebral. He made a lot of good throws in face of stiff pressure, quite often checked down to safety valves, and even threw balls away to avoid the sack. It doesn’t hurt to have a real tight-end like they do, but regardless bumbling Bledsoe looks a hell of a lot better than the version we saw for 3 years. It also appears that Shanahan has finally broken the bucking bronco known as Jake Plummer who in the past was always good for 4 or 5 Buffalo Bill Bledsoe throws a game.

Denver’s defensive line featuring a Mike William’s type bust, Courtney Brown, played tremendously disciplined gap defense with well disguised blitzes unlike our throw the kitchen sink schemes. There was one play that really illustrated the coaching thing to me; when Dallas was pinned at their goal line they called a naked bootleg with Bledsoe rolling in the flat and the tight-end peeling off the line. Frankly a great call considering Bledsoe’s mobility, but the rookie Bronco corner never left the tight-end until Bledsoe was forced to cross the line of scrimmage after which he quickly became a wounded zebra for a very fast cheetah. Can anyone imagine Posey or the play maker showing that kind of discipline or understanding of the situation that quickly?

The play calling was also great stuff. After the Champ Bailey touchdown, Dallas turns around and calls the exact same play, like he did before, Bailey jumps the route, but this time it allows K. Johnson to find a seam for a wide open touchdown solely because of Bailey’s aggressiveness. Our Notre Dame Lawyer offensive coordinator could learn a thing or two from these football jarheads coaching yesterday’s game.

And for all the Moulds gripers 100 years old K. Johnson, Rod Smith, and Terry Glenn sure can still get down field, agreed their lines are better, but neither team has a Willis in the backfield. A lot of balls were thrown to spots on the field, before the receivers got out of their breaks, which illustrates to me confidence in the play called.

Which leaves me with the question, is coaching the real problem for the Buffalo Bills?

One specific that can point to the coaches is the difference in the team between home and road games. This team can look extremely jacked up and confident at home, and then go on the road and completely lay an egg. It is a tough league, and winning on the road is not easy, but talented, well-coached teams find a way to do it. There's no question the Bills have talent, but something is obviously missing when we lose to powerhouses like New Orleans and Oakland on the road. I'm not expecting them to win them all, but a playoff team should expect 6-2 at home and 4-4 on the road (they did go 4-4 last year, defeating Miami, Cincy, Seattle, and San Fran.)

It has been the same story throughout the TD era. Being outcoached and outplayed by Pittsburgh's backups last year can also be cited when discussing major coaching malfunctions.

One specific that can point to the coaches is the difference in the team between home and road games.  This team can look extremely jacked up and confident at home, and then go on the road and completely lay an egg.  It is a tough league, and winning on the road is not easy, but talented, well-coached teams find a way to do it.  There's no question the Bills have talent, but something is obviously missing when we lose to powerhouses like New Orleans and Oakland on the road.  I'm not expecting them to win them all, but a playoff team should expect 6-2 at home and 4-4 on the road (they did go 4-4 last year, defeating Miami, Cincy, Seattle, and San Fran.)

It has been the same story throughout the TD era.  Being outcoached and outplayed by Pittsburgh's backups last year can also be cited when discussing major coaching malfunctions.

512474[/snapback]

Excellent point about the road issues.

I am very frustrated by MM's handling of the OL - he appears to be making it up as he goes and his tinkering is killing this team. See if you can follow this and explain it to me:

1) MM starts MW at RT to start the year. This after weeks and weeks of training camp during which he can evaluate everything he has on the roster.

2) MW gets hurt and Peters has a decent game at RT. ONE decent game.

3) MW becomes healthy enough to play, but instead of putting him back at RT, he switches him to LG. MW, not ready to play the position on 1 week's notice, flops and gets sent to the bench. (MM obviously thought MW was better than Bennie, but apparently not better than Peters.) It takes 1 half of football to prove MM wrong, so he promptly inserts Bennie back at LG just in time for JP to pull out the game.

4) Peters is installed at the RT position again the next week, and struggles mightily. While a healthy MW sits on the bench.

5) When asked to comment on the OL, MM says (paraphrasing here) I think they are doing OK. Remember, he says, they have not had a lot of time to play together.

Whose fault is this, Mike? Sweet lord.

Oh, and his lack of ability to publicly endorse either of his QBs is a disgrace.

No wonder our offense is in shambles. I think this guy is clueless.

I am very frustrated by MM's handling of the OL - he appears to be making it up as he goes and his tinkering is killing this team.  See if you can follow this and explain it to me:

1) MM starts MW at RT to start the year.  This after weeks and weeks of training camp during which he can evaluate everything he has on the roster.

2) MW gets hurt and Peters has a decent game at RT.  ONE decent game.

3) MW becomes healthy enough to play, but instead of putting him back at RT, he switches him to LG.  MW, not ready to play the position on 1 week's notice, flops and gets sent to the bench.  (MM obviously thought MW was better than Bennie, but apparently not better than Peters.)  It takes 1 half of football to prove MM wrong, so he promptly inserts Bennie back at LG just in time for JP to pull out the game.

4) Peters is installed at the RT position again the next week, and struggles mightily.  While a healthy MW sits on the bench.

5) When asked to comment on the OL, MM says (paraphrasing here) I think they are doing OK.  Remember, he says, they have not had a lot of time to play together.

Whose fault is this, Mike? Sweet lord.

Oh, and his lack of ability to publicly endorse either of his QBs is a disgrace.

No wonder our offense is in shambles.  I think this guy is clueless.

512576[/snapback]

Again, 100% agree with your comments. There really is no clarity of thought coming out of this organization. I also think what your 5 bullets might suggest is a hint of desperation by MM and Moose.

It has been the same story throughout the TD era.

512474[/snapback]

The TD era started with a head coaching search. Among the candidates were then Ravens Defensive Coordinator Marvin Lewis and then Giants Defensive Coordinator John Fox. As we all know TD was wowed by Gregg Williams interview and thus awarded him the job. Williams was not as impressive on the job however, tallying a 17-31 record in 3 seasons. His replacement, Mike Mularkey has fared a little better at 13-13 in 1+ seasons. Thus Tom Donahoe and his eye for coaching talent has netted him a 30-44 record in 4+ seasons with 0 trips to the playoffs

The candidates he passed up:

Marvin Lewis took over the Bengals in 2003 and has since gone 23-19.

John Fox took over the Panthers in 2002. In 2003 Fox led the Panthers to their first ever NFC title. In 3+ seasons Fox has tallied a 32-26 record, already passing Donahoe in the win column despite 1 less year on the job

The TD era started with a head coaching search.  Among the candidates were then Ravens Defensive Coordinator Marvin Lewis and then Giants Defensive Coordinator John Fox.  As we all know TD was wowed by Gregg Williams interview and thus awarded him the job.  Williams was not as impressive on the job however, tallying a 17-31 record in 3 seasons.  His replacement, Mike Mularkey has fared a little better at 13-13 in 1+ seasons.  Thus Tom Donahoe and his eye for coaching talent has netted him a 30-44 record in 4+ seasons with 0 trips to the playoffs

John Fox took over the Panthers in 2002.  In 2003 Fox led the Panthers to their first ever NFC title.  In 3+ seasons Fox has tallied a 32-26 record, already passing Donahoe in the win column despite 1 less year on the job

512590[/snapback]

You forgot to mention a coach that took a poor Notre Dame team and in one year has them on the verge of a BCS bowl game, with little or no time to recruit this past offseason.

You forgot to mention a coach that took a poor Notre Dame team and in one year has them on the verge of a BCS bowl game, with little or no time to recruit this past offseason.

512605[/snapback]

Weis was never a serious candidate. TD already had his mind made up to bring in his boy from the 'Burgh and was just picking Weis' brain on how to fix the offense

fo sho it's coaching.

we don't have anyone, save wyche, who has done anything at any level at the job they walked in here with.

Grey IMO rode lebeu and is clearly predictable on D (san diego knew exactly what to do against us every single play, had us bite on fakes, and checked out of deep plays to short ones perfectly)

clements has pretty much been canned by mularky taking his job.

mularky SEEMED to be solid at some points last year, but is looking sh!!!t this year.

i think a new HC can do well if he gets solid people around him, i don't think we have that and i think mularky might be ho hum to start with.

i'd like to see martz in here, even though he is insane. he is smart and can run a great passing O. we just need some kind of control measure to ensure he runs enough.

I think some of the problems with the team are coaching related. But if TD really thought that he had assembled enough talent for a playoff caliber team, then why did he hire another coach with no head coaching experience? That makes no sense to me.

I do think there are current coaches in the NFL who are getting more out of their teams, with less overall talent. I could not point to any one coaching aspect/situation in which MM seems to excel or be superior to other head coaches (or even equivalent to some of the better head coaches).

There are issues with the defensive line, offensive line and qb. I do not want to minimize these problems, because competency at these positions is critical. Yet I still believe our team could be performing better with the current personnel.

So he can sh---can Bobby April again, the only coach on this staff showing some positive results? No thanks!

512621[/snapback]

he is far from perfect, but who else can we sign this offseason?

i'd like him here as an OC.

John Fox took over the Panthers in 2002. 

512590[/snapback]

Please do not mix facts with fiction. Marvin Lewis stated several times his 'reasons' for not being that interested in Buffalo job was the 'Buffalo (city) school system" and when Buffalo did not respond favorable with his comments his wife went on radio shows and said that Buffalo ought to up his offer to compensate for poor Buffalo schools.

Marvin Lewis was not interested in Buffalo unless it was a big dollar contract - he made comments like he ought to be paid like a star coach rather than as a 1st time head coach. It was purely a money thing since Tom Donahoe unlike all of the OTHER GMs WHO ALSO PASSED SIGNING HIM was willing to wait for 2nd interview after Superbowl (NFL rule at time: one interview before Superbowl) and Lewis showed up unprepared and disinterested.

fo sho it's coaching.

we don't have anyone, save wyche, who has done anything at any level at the job they walked in here with.

Grey IMO rode lebeu and is clearly predictable on D (san diego knew exactly what to do against us every single play, had us bite on fakes, and checked out of deep plays to short ones perfectly)

clements has pretty much been canned by mularky taking his job.

mularky SEEMED to be solid at some points last year, but is looking sh!!!t this year. 

i think a new HC can do well if he gets solid people around him, i don't think we have that and i think mularky might be ho hum to start with.

i'd like to see martz in here, even though he is insane.  he is smart and can run a great passing O.  we just need some kind of control measure to ensure he runs enough.

512618[/snapback]

Interesting about Wyche. Seasoned with a track record. Kinda like Marv when he came outta the booth in the mid-1980's?

I am getting sick of the low-profile last two choices... An ex-SB coach that once insulted Cleveland is a lot more hig-profile.

What is the take on the guy and a return to head coaching?

:lol:

Its really hard to tell if Gray even game plans, it seems like he his plan is to just blitz 90% of the time in every game, no matter the opponent.

Same goes for the offense.

512695[/snapback]

:lol:

We all know from the ESPN coaches special that they stay at the office to 11-12 o'clock at night and return back at 04:30!

:lol::lol:

Which just means staying in your office 20 hours a day may not make you any more successful.

512709[/snapback]

Exactly!

Side note to that interesting special is that they mentioned that Shula when he coached would be picked up promptly at 1700 each day by his wife... Chuck Knoll would also leave the office at the same time. Both were quoted as saying "if you can't get it done 9-5, you are disorganized."

When Gibbs made his first HC debut, things started to change in that thinking. It really is a "copycat" league.

I for one have been extremely critical of Tom Donahoe’s personnel decisions more so than the coaching hires, but after watching yesterday’s quality second game that order might have to be switched. Both the Broncos and Cowboys featured plenty of old receivers and several high profile re-treads yet collectively they played like competent football players. Regardless of playing in front of a much better line that allows him to go through his progressive reads, the Dallas version of Bledsoe looked much more disciplined and should I dare say cerebral. He made a lot of good throws in face of stiff pressure, quite often checked down to safety valves, and even threw balls away to avoid the sack. It doesn’t hurt to have a real tight-end like they do, but regardless bumbling Bledsoe looks a hell of a lot better than the version we saw for 3 years. It also appears that Shanahan has finally broken the bucking bronco known as Jake Plummer who in the past was always good for 4 or 5 Buffalo Bill Bledsoe throws a game.

Denver’s defensive line featuring a Mike William’s type bust, Courtney Brown, played tremendously disciplined gap defense with well disguised blitzes unlike our throw the kitchen sink schemes. There was one play that really illustrated the coaching thing to me; when Dallas was pinned at their goal line they called a naked bootleg with Bledsoe rolling in the flat and the tight-end peeling off the line. Frankly a great call considering Bledsoe’s mobility, but the rookie Bronco corner never left the tight-end until Bledsoe was forced to cross the line of scrimmage after which he quickly became a wounded zebra for a very fast cheetah. Can anyone imagine Posey or the play maker showing that kind of discipline or understanding of the situation that quickly?

The play calling was also great stuff. After the Champ Bailey touchdown, Dallas turns around and calls the exact same play, like he did before, Bailey jumps the route, but this time it allows K. Johnson to find a seam for a wide open touchdown solely because of Bailey’s aggressiveness. Our Notre Dame Lawyer offensive coordinator could learn a thing or two from these football jarheads coaching yesterday’s game.

And for all the Moulds gripers 100 years old K. Johnson, Rod Smith, and Terry Glenn sure can still get down field, agreed their lines are better, but neither team has a Willis in the backfield. A lot of balls were thrown to spots on the field, before the receivers got out of their breaks, which illustrates to me confidence in the play called.

Which leaves me with the question, is coaching the real problem for the Buffalo Bills?

512452[/snapback]

Basically, imho, TD threw two rookies onto the field this season at the most important positions, HC and QB... basically throwing rookies into these positions is very difficult and most of the time ends up working against you... MM will be a great coach one day, thats what i personally think but right now he's riding the bumps and bruises of being put into a pressure situation. Honestly if he remains our coach for a long time, i'm not against it as i think that eventually he will figure out what it takes to win...