So with next years Top 10 draft choice.....

ROCCEO

You're mistaking "hasn't reached his potential" for "hasn't shown any potential".  Jonathan Vilma is a great young LB who hasn't reached his potential either.  I'm not saying Scott can't play or is an adequate blocker.  That's incorrect.  He's very good, and will only get better.

514496[/snapback]

What the hell does Jonathan Vilma have to do with this?

Mike Williams hasn't reached his unlimited potential but he has shown some potential at times. Mike Williams was regarded as a "can't miss" pick. He was going nowhere but up, up, up.

How is Scott so different?

As far as "he will only get better", nobody really knows that for sure. But, I have noted that you are a serious fan for this guy.

If he ends up a Bill, I hope he becomes a fixture in the Pro Bowl. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the hell does Jonathan Vilma have to do with this?

Mike Williams hasn't reached his unlimited potential but he has shown some potential at times.  Mike Williams was regarded as a "can't miss" pick.  He was going nowhere but up, up, up.

How is Scott so different?

As far as "he will only get better", nobody really knows that for sure.  But, I have noted that you are a serious fan for this guy.

If he ends up a Bill, I hope he becomes a fixture in the Pro Bowl.  But I'm not going to hold my breath.

514507[/snapback]

Sigh.

I mentioned Vilma as an example of a person who was described as a guy w/ potential when he was drafted. They said that because he basically was still learning the position and had plenty of room to improve.

How is Scott different than Big Mike? Nobody's suggesting any team take a #4 pick and draft Scott, that's how. I mention him as someone else who merits 1st round consideration @ LT. That's all. Is he the caliber of LT that D'Brickashaw Ferguson is? No, but he doesn't suck and is far from a "reach".

I don't even know if I hope he ends up a Bill. I kinda would like to see us draft a run stuffing DT w/ our first round pick......and Scott will possibly not be around when our 2nd round pick comes up. Now, if he somehow is AND we get our big DT in the first, he'd be a great pick there.

Mario Williams would be my choice at this point,  with Kiwanuka a very close 2nd.   

The Bills haven't had a good pass rush from the front four in years.  They will finally have a chance to add an elite pass rusher and I don't think that's an opportunity they can afford to pass up.  Big,  athletic pass rushing DEs are probably the rarest of the rare in the NFL these days.

513314[/snapback]

They are not high motor guys ;)

Also, TD has already spent 3 2nd rounders on DEs....He is not going to

be spending a high pick on another DE....He probably will get his DT,

someone like a Volfork whom he could have had last year.

DT Rod White from Texas. Dude is a beast of a player, can both rush the QB with his speed and run stuff with his size. Plus he is a really smart dude (allegedly).

If Ngata come out, he is also a viable candidate. I agree that Mario Williams and Mattias Kiruwanka freaks at the DE position. They are both Peppers/Freeney in the making.

I read all the complaints about the lines and our lack of run defense, and then I see a stream of postings asking for WR's, DB's and pass rushers.

I'd like to draft some big bodies please, at least 2 if not three this season. You can win with mediocre wide receivers (see New England) and with mediocre DBs (see New England) but you need to be able to block and stop the run. I grant all critics that Mike Williams is a mess, but Bryant McKinnie isn't much better. That doesn't mean we can't ever draft another lineman. I don't disagree that we could look to move down and stockpile a bit because reality is we have many needs. I'm not terribly disappointed with our tackles at the moment. I think Gandy and Peters have exceeded expectations. We all expected Gandy to be a revolving door at LT and he has held his own nicely. Peters was a nice surprise as well but he clearly needs more grooming (I thought Peppers ate him up despite the reporting). Both our guards and center have been absolutely brutal this year. Anderson, Teague and Villarial have been AWFUL in pass-pro and haven't been able to generate any push up front either. The three of them could go and I wouldn't shed a tear. I've heard the name LeCharles Bentley bandied about and that would be a nice start at center but he isn't gonna be cheap. Young, athletic guards are difficult to come by in free agency and I think we're going to have to draft some. It's an investment that is long since overdue. We haven't drafted a guard high since Ruben Brown. If that means we move out of the top 10 to choose 2 players in the mid to late round 1 so be it. Assuming we bring in a real center from elsewhere, we need 2 guards at least 1 DT, and an OLB (POSEY) in the first 3 rounds. I also believe that Williams could be renegotiated down this winter and come in as our starting RG next season supplanting Villarial and solving his right-left switch problem. That would help a little but the big bodies still need to be found. Maybe Rock Preston will step in at center or left guard, maybe not. We need to stop building this team from the outside in, Roscoe Parrish and Kevin Everett will be nice players but we could have done without them for a year to bring in some more lineman this year. The longer we put off having a draft of "ugly" players the longer we will be stuck in mediocrity. Teams that can block and stop the run make the playoffs...period.

They are not high motor guys  :D

Also, TD has already spent 3 2nd rounders on DEs....He is not going to

be spending a high pick on another DE....He probably will get his DT,

someone like a Volfork whom he could have had last year.

514608[/snapback]

The Bills may have 3 2nd round DEs on the team, but production is what counts. We all know that this team can't pressure the opposing QB with just the front four. That's a situation that needs to change, whether the upgrade comes at DE or DT.

Its also notable that the Bills have two 3rds, a 5th, and a 6th round pick invested at DT, plus a significant amount of money in Sam Adams as a FA signing. In terms of investment, DT vs DE is about even. Production is about the same, too. The truth is that the Bills are average-to-weak across the board on the DL and none of the four starters are good enough to warrant passing on an elite prospect.

An additional consideration? Ryan Denney is an unrestricted FA after this season and Kelsay is after next season.