Looking to move to Richmond, VA

Dr. Fong

I think I've finally had it with Hampton Roads and am ready to move on. We were up west of Richmond over the weekend and liked what I saw. Can anyone point me in the right direction for the best areas to look at for real estate that is affordable, has decent schools, etc. Would you suggest moving there?

I think I've finally had it with Hampton Roads and am ready to move on.  We were up west of Richmond over the weekend and liked what I saw.  Can anyone point me in the right direction for the best areas to look at for real estate that is affordable, has decent schools, etc.  Would you suggest moving there?

508426[/snapback]

Get out your banjo and a Confederate Flag... :w00t:

Come upto the North East my friend. Forget Virginia...The state motto is: "Virginia: Where the men are men, and the sheep are nervous."

Richmond has been a great place for our family. Great schools, housing, rectreation, shopping and close to everything....Even starting to get discount airlines. I'm partial to the west end (Henrico) as I am sure others on this board will clamor for Southside (Cheterfield), just stay out of the city.

Get out your banjo and a Confederate Flag... :w00t:

Come upto the North East my friend. Forget Virginia...The state motto is: "Virginia: Where the men are men, and the sheep are nervous."

508611[/snapback]

That's West VA.'s motto. :lol: Their real tight with the animals up there.

I am partial to the midlothian area in chesterfield county

I think I've finally had it with Hampton Roads and am ready to move on.  We were up west of Richmond over the weekend and liked what I saw.  Can anyone point me in the right direction for the best areas to look at for real estate that is affordable, has decent schools, etc.  Would you suggest moving there?

508426[/snapback]

Richmond has been a great place for our family. Great schools, housing, rectreation, shopping and close to everything....Even starting to get discount airlines.  I'm partial to the west end (Henrico) as I am sure others on this board will clamor for Southside (Cheterfield), just stay out of the city.

508692[/snapback]

I've lived in Richmond for 18 years now, all in the West End. Real Estate prices are through the roof. My 1800 SF, 3BR 2.5 BA just appraised for $230k when I refi'd. I bought it for $160k 3.5 years ago. Prices are generally cheaper South of the river, but the schools are less desirable. Hanover county is growing and the schools are good. Real Estate taxes are a bit cheaper than the west end (Henrico). Overall, it is a good place to raise a family.

I've lived in Richmond for 18 years now, all in the West End.  Real Estate prices are through the roof.  My 1800 SF, 3BR 2.5 BA just appraised for $230k when I refi'd.  I bought it for $160k 3.5 years ago.  Prices are generally cheaper South of the river, but the schools are less desirable.  Hanover county is growing and the schools are good.  Real Estate taxes are a bit cheaper than the west end (Henrico).  Overall, it is a good place to raise a family.

508814[/snapback]

Midlothian is an 'Undesirable' area, no? Riff raff and such from what I'm told.

We're Number 5!!!!!

fortunately(?) for Richmond residents, all the dangers are centered in well known dangerous areas, the rest of the city and surrounding counties are relatively safe. You learn what areas to avoid!

Most Dangerous Cities:

1. Camden, N.J.

2. Detroit

3. St. Louis

4. Flint, Mich.

5. Richmond, Va.

6. Baltimore

7. Atlanta

8. New Orleans

9. Gary, Ind.

10. Birmingham, Ala.

Get out your banjo and a Confederate Flag... :D

508611[/snapback]

I want to stay close to my parents for my son. He is 2 1/2 and really attached to his grandparents. He was born in Thailand and loved his grandparents in Thailand and when we moved it took a toll on him. I don't want to do that to him twice in his young life. If I stayed in Richmond it'd be a nice easy drive to take him down to see them or for them to come up to see him. Personally I'd love to move back to Buffalo, but my wife would freeze.

Thanks for the suggestions on areas of Richmond to check out. My sister lives out in the west end on Glenside Drive. I like that area out there, so I guess that's where I'll start looking.

Get out your banjo and a Confederate Flag... :D

508611[/snapback]

A guy living in New Jersey complaining that other places are terrible??? :P

He's taken one too many turnpike exits. ;)

Either that, or he likes living near hairy women. :P

I want to stay close to my parents for my son.  He is 2 1/2 and really attached to his grandparents.  He was born in Thailand and loved his grandparents in Thailand and when we moved it took a toll on him.  I don't want to do that to him twice in his young life.  If I stayed in Richmond it'd be a nice easy drive to take him down to see them or for them to come up to see him.  Personally I'd love to move back to Buffalo, but my wife would freeze.

Thanks for the suggestions on areas of Richmond to check out.  My sister lives out in the west end on Glenside Drive.  I like that area out there, so I guess that's where I'll start looking.

508998[/snapback]

I like it here, but still miss DC a ton. Housing I would assume should be about the same as Hampton roads, maybe a scooch less.

However, I highly recommend you look for a yd with no friggen oak trees. Although I say that every year in the fall!!!!

I like it here, but still miss DC a ton. Housing I would assume should be about the same as Hampton roads, maybe a scooch less.

However, I highly recommend you look for a yd with no friggen oak trees. Although I say that every year in the fall!!!!

509067[/snapback]

No actually it's a ton better in the Richmond housing market than it is down here in Hampton Roads. Just in the little amount of time that I've been looking in the Richmond market I can afford a much better house than I can in Hampton Roads. Plus the job market seems to be much better too.

I am partial to Ashland (not the area near I-95). Neat historic, small town with its own mayor and council where you can have a say, if you desire, in how your local affairs are governed. We have kids and can walk to the parks, pool, store, library, shops, etc. There is a college Randolph-Macon, in town, and we can walk to their cultural events as well as their sports (football, basketball, etc.). We also like the Fan and similar-type areas in Richmond but they may not be the best spot to raise kids. Overall, we like the prospect of living somewhere were you do not have to get in a car and drive to wherever you want/need to go. That is why the Fan, Ashland, etc. areas appeal to us. Lots of commercial development planned for the west end of Richmond so investigate wherever you look. Plenzmd1 lives in a nice area in the West End and Chesterfield is highly rated, too. Depends what interests you, what you want, and what you can afford but you can probably find all three somewhere in the area. If you are considering anywhere that is somewhat undeveloped, make sure to view the county's 5 or 10 year plan. The plot or house you buy may be next to a mall or a highway within some future time frame.

You can PM me, I have been here awhile and lived in all three counties and the city of Richmond and can give you a pro/con on all of them.

A guy living in New Jersey complaining that other places are terrible??? :doh:

He's taken one too many turnpike exits. :lol:

Either that, or he likes living near hairy women. :P

509055[/snapback]

I live on the shore dude. You should see this place in the summertime! B-):devil:

508426[/snapback]

Doc, "City Profiles - Sperling's Best Places", below, might be of some use. One can compare any 2 cities for taxes, growth, crime, housing etc.

http://www.bestplaces.net/city/default.aspx