I find myself admiring how other GMs have done it

nodnarb

I disagree.  The difference between winning and losing consistently has very little to do with the "star" players.

508864[/snapback]

A team filled with role players loses. Yes you need them, but make no mistake - somwhere on your team you need top level talent. QB, RB, WR, DE, MLB, DT, whatever it may be you need a Jordan to make your Pippen's/Rodman's shine.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the Eagles with McNabb injured and now out. Take Brady off of New England and they are worse than us. Look at the demise of Tennessee and see how it correlates to the deterioration of McNair's skills. The lone exception is perhaps Pittsburgh as they seem to keep winning without any stars. Stud players make plays and allow average players to be good role players because not as much is asked of them. These teams don't fall apart after giving up 1 or 2 touchdowns because they know they are never out of the game. I really believe the talent is basically equal among teams throughout the NFL. The difference is those stars that change the entire persona of their teams. The one player we do have like that has been out since week 2.

A team filled with role players loses.  Yes you need them, but make no mistake - somwhere on your team you need top level talent.  QB, RB, WR, DE, MLB, DT, whatever it may be you need a Jordan to make your Pippen's/Rodman's shine.

508878[/snapback]

With the exception of a few perennial bottom dwellers every team has a few big time players that will make plays for their team. The GMs that draft or sign these guys to big time contracts aren't the guys that necessarily win consistently. Yes, the team absolutely has to have a few of these guys, that's a given. But the teams that win on a consistent basis are the ones that have role players that do their jobs well.

The thing that separates the good GMs from the mediocre ones isn't the ability to look at the Peyton Mannings of the world and say, "that guy is good!" It's the ability to look at the under the radar guys and know he's going to be able to do what is asked of him for the team.

Just look at the offensive lines around the league. The best ones aren’t necessarily the ones with the high round draft picks that sign huge contracts. Take a look at the Chicago Bears defense. They have Ulracher and Harris who share the spotlight (and to a lesser extent Ogunleye) but without a bunch of 3rd-5th round players that do their jobs (and a coaching staff that uses them properly) that D isn’t much better than the Bills.

You're right. 

I said it once and I'll sy it again.....  In football all sucessful teams are built from the inside out (ol and dl line).  TD had one side right (the dl) two years ago and last year.  But that fuggin ol just keeps getting ignored.  Yeah the whole building from the outside in thingy isn't working.

508400[/snapback]

It is not getting ignored....just haven't been successful with it.

The thing that separates the good GMs from the mediocre ones isn't the ability to look at the Peyton Mannings of the world and say, "that guy is good!"  It's the ability to look at the under the radar guys and know he's going to be able to do what is asked of him for the team. 

508898[/snapback]

We have had our fair share of those kinds of players....McGee, Baker

What has hurt this team is the super-stars they have got...They haven't come to play day-in day-out.