Question for SD game:

Dr. K

Th reason I ask is that I don't see the Bills beating the Chargers in San Diego if Losman does not have a strong day passing, at least 250 yards and probably more than 300. I don't expect Wills to have a great day running unless the Bills force the Chargers to back off the LOS by completing many passes.

The only alternative way for the Bills to win is for our defense to force many turnovers, as they did against KC, and not turn the ball over themselves. Could happen, but don't bet on it.

So, do the Bills and Losman and the coaching staff have it in them to produce major yards through the air in this game? They haven't so far this season in any game.

Th reason I ask is that I don't see the Bills beating the Chargers in San Diego if Losman does not have a strong day passing, at least 250 yards and probably more than 300.  I don't expect Wills to have a great day running unless the Bills force the Chargers to back off the LOS by completing many passes.

The only alternative way for the Bills to win is for our defense to force many turnovers, as they did against KC, and not turn the ball over themselves.  Could happen, but don't bet on it.

So, do the Bills and Losman and the coaching staff have it in them to produce major yards through the air in this game?  They haven't so far this season in any game.

507478[/snapback]

I think you are right .Could happen, but don't bet on it.

They have to come out screaming hot in the passing game to get the respect. Losman has alot on the line today, both professional and personal. For some reason the Bills and Losman are getting no respect- like last week never happened. The way Losman not only threw precision passes, but the way he conducted himself in the pocket was amazing. Nobody was gonna rattle his cage. I can't wait for 4:15, and hope he does indeed pass for 300 yards and get the attention of the media. I for one think that quater of football clinic that he put on was no fluke. I guess we will all know around 7pm.

Kick ass and take names- the defense responds to the offense.

You know what sucks? San Diego is wearing their powder blues today. They're gonna be fired the fug up. Lance Alworth's number is being retired at halftime. The only other player is Johnny U. They're gonna be fuggin fired up. We HAVE to start fast and score first. Win the time of possesion battle and force a couple of turn overs. The key for our d in my eyes is good tackling. Because if you miss LT once he'll burn you worse than you think.

You know what sucks?  San Diego is wearing their powder blues today.  They're gonna be fired the fug up.  Lance Alworth's number is being retired at halftime.  The only other player is Johnny U.  They're gonna be fuggin fired up.  We HAVE to start fast and score first.  Win the time of possesion battle and force a couple of turn overs.  The key for our d in my eyes is good tackling.  Because if you miss LT once he'll burn you worse than you think.

507495[/snapback]

See I just dont agree. I play football ... high-school and hopefully college ... and I simply dont see how a different colored jersey could fire you up. I sure know it would'nt fire me up. And their retiring an old-farts number. Come on. This is the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE. These are professionals. The Bills are not going to care whether there "fired up" over a different colored jersey or an old-farts number.

my 2 cents

agreed. our running game and playcalling should take the burden off our young qb.If losman does throw for 200 i'd be jumping for joy.

If he has to throw for 300 yards to win, we're in serious trouble...

507493[/snapback]

the whole thing about the different colored jerseys and retiring one of the best players in their history, is that they are gong to get encouragement from this "old fart". The powder blues are are a psychological change that may be a catalyst in boosting morale. While it may seem irrelevant to you, it may hae some meaning to the players that matter the most (LT, Bress, Gates, etc.)

See I just dont agree. I play football ... high-school and hopefully college ... and I simply dont see how a different colored jersey could fire you up. I sure know it would'nt fire me up. And their retiring an old-farts number. Come on. This is the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE. These are professionals. The Bills are not going to care whether there "fired up" over a different colored jersey or an old-farts number.

my 2 cents

507531[/snapback]

They have to come out screaming hot in the passing game to get the respect. Losman has alot on the line today, both professional and personal. For some reason the Bills and Losman are getting no respect- like last week never happened. The way Losman not only threw precision passes, but the way he conducted himself in the pocket was amazing. Nobody was gonna rattle his cage. I can't wait for 4:15, and hope he does indeed pass for 300 yards and get the attention of the media. I for one think that quater of football clinic that he put on was no fluke. I guess we will all know around 7pm.

Kick ass and take names- the defense responds to the offense.

507488[/snapback]

I agree, he has to get hot.

My big worry is this: all the reporting this past week about how he played angry, had a chip on his shoulder, a man with a mission and all that worries me greatly. In my experience the way to make anger work for you is to quietly do something about it. When you discuss it in public as has been done all week then it becomes a crutch instead of a lever. Saying over and over that you're mad as heck and am going to play lights out because of it, is a good predictor that you are not.

the whole thing about the different colored jerseys and retiring one of the best players in their history, is that they are gong to get encouragement from this "old fart". The powder blues are are a psychological change that may be a catalyst in boosting morale. While it may seem irrelevant to you, it may hae some meaning to the players that matter the most (LT, Bress, Gates, etc.)

507555[/snapback]

Gee ............. I don't know ....... I think I side with the kid ..... was LT, Brees, Gates, et al even born when the powder blue unis were worn???? Why would the color of the uniform matter one way or another?

As for Lance Allworth ........ the fact that Lincoln, Lowe, and Allworth were in town would strike fear in the hearts of us Bills fans 35 years ago, and they were a matter of pride for Chargers fans 35 years ago ....... but do the current players even know who he was ...... or care.

While I do agree the unis, and tribute to Lance may fire up the fans a notch or two higher ....... but the task the Bills face in any "away game" does not change ..... move the ball and score early to take the fans out of the game.

I agree,  he has to get hot.

My big worry is this:  all the reporting this past week about how he played angry,  had a chip on his shoulder,  a man with a mission and all that worries me greatly.  In my experience the way to make anger work for you is to quietly do something about it.  When you discuss it in public as has been done all week then it becomes a crutch instead of a lever.  Saying over and over that you're mad as heck and am going to play lights out because of it,  is a good predictor that you are not.

507557[/snapback]

I say whatever got his ass motivated enough to come out and throw back to back end-zone darts- is fine by me...

Gee ............. I don't know ....... I think I side with the kid ..... was LT, Brees, Gates, et al even born when the powder blue unis were worn???? Why would the color of the uniform matter one way or another?

As for Lance Allworth ........ the fact that Lincoln, Lowe, and Allworth were in town would strike fear in the hearts of us Bills fans 35 years ago, and they were a matter of pride for Chargers fans 35 years ago ....... but do the current players even know who he was ...... or care.

While I do agree the unis, and tribute to Lance may fire up the fans a notch or two higher ....... but the task the Bills face in any "away game" does not change ..... move the ball and score early to take the fans out of the game.

507558[/snapback]

I dunno. I believe that most pro's do respect the history of the franchise that they play for, as well as the history of game. Having Bambi on the sidelines may not be the same effect as having Jimbo or Bruce on the sidelines, but I'm sure the players will be inspired by his prescence.

You know what sucks?  San Diego is wearing their powder blues today.  They're gonna be fired the fug up.  Lance Alworth's number is being retired at halftime.  The only other player is Johnny U.  They're gonna be fuggin fired up.  We HAVE to start fast and score first.  Win the time of possesion battle and force a couple of turn overs.  The key for our d in my eyes is good tackling.  Because if you miss LT once he'll burn you worse than you think.

507495[/snapback]

Now, I've never played the game, and in fact I've never even coached a high school team, so I'm clearly talking out my ass, but the whole "throwbacks, retiring a number at halftime" thing is set up for two distinct groups of people: owners and fans.

In this age of "play with a team one year, hold out, get tagged, go to another team," there are few players who would really care about someone else getting their jersey retired at halftime, let alone having to wear another uniform. The fans get fired up, yes, but that only translates to players being fired for a brief period. After that, the game is on, plays are made or not made, and then it's over, and when it's done you can count the number of games that were won because of throwback uniforms and retired numbers on the hand of a bad woodshop teacher.

I dunno. I believe that most pro's do respect the history of the franchise that they play for, as well as the history of game. Having Bambi on the sidelines may not be the same effect as having Jimbo or Bruce on the sidelines, but I'm sure the players will be inspired by his prescence.

507563[/snapback]

How much relevance would having Cookie Gilchrist walking up and down our sideline have for todays Bills? I don't mean to say that todays players don't respect a teams history ...... but with todays free agency player movement you may be able to make a case that a teams history is pretty irrevelent to todays players.

But IMHO ....... there would be a big BIG difference between honoring a reciently retired player that the current players may have seen play during their lifetime, and an "old fogey" they've never seen play ...... no matter how damn good he was.

On a side note ........... wouldn't it be cool if a Bills linebacker comes flying out of the crowd when Allworth is accepting his honor and gives him a crushing mid field tackle breaking his ribs ........................ ahhhhhhhhhhh the memories.

507495[/snapback]

Fouts, according to Berman on ESPN today, not Unitas.

I say whatever got his ass motivated enough to come out and throw back to back end-zone darts- is fine by me...

507561[/snapback]

Right - if it was a factor, it was because he stewed in silence for four weeks.

The worst thing that could have happened to him was all that press about how getting angry and hungry helped him. We want him angry, not thinking about being angry, and not thinking that the key to playing well is nothing more than acting angry.

I'm hoping he didn't buy the hype.

If he has to throw for 300 yards to win, we're in serious trouble...

507493[/snapback]

I am not sure I understand what you are saying. In the situation that you are posing - a win for us - why would it matter if we did it through the air or ground ? I couldn't care less about having a dominating running game, clock control, WM ego etc. if it doesn't get us a win. It may actually be fun if it is a shoot-out and we win. Admit it - a clicking passing game is a lot more entertaining than a dominating running game.

Th reason I ask is that I don't see the Bills beating the Chargers in San Diego if Losman does not have a strong day passing, at least 250 yards and probably more than 300.  I don't expect Wills to have a great day running unless the Bills force the Chargers to back off the LOS by completing many passes.

The only alternative way for the Bills to win is for our defense to force many turnovers, as they did against KC, and not turn the ball over themselves.  Could happen, but don't bet on it.

So, do the Bills and Losman and the coaching staff have it in them to produce major yards through the air in this game?  They haven't so far this season in any game.

507478[/snapback]

I think your analysis is spot-on. McGahee isn't going to have a big day vs. this rush defense and their offense is going to score points. We need a big game from the QB, which is why I'm not optimistic at all.

507495[/snapback]

507495[/snapback]

The Chargers have lost 5 of the last 6 games that they wore their "collegiate" blues, so I don't think jerseys will make a difference.