All Eyes on Bledsoe ?

Frez

The guy had us on a huge run last year, too.....obviously to put up the numbers he's put up in his career, he has to have ability to pass the ball. I've never said that he can't throw a football. My main problem with the guy is that he tends to make stupid plays at crucial times of the game, and he can only take you so far. Even when he had a TON of talent around him in '96, they were no match for the Packers. He has a pretty fair amt of talent around him this year, too.....so maybe he'll knock on the door again....but no way in hell will he be of any threat to win the superbowl. Just not gonna happen.

Bledsoe was a below average performer last night for all but one drive of the game, IMO. And that one drive was not enough to win the game....it was simply enough to keep them in it when the Eagles should have had them put away. There was NOTHIGN that Bledsoe did last night to make me think otherwise.....there just wasn't. The Cowboys were the beneficiary of stupidity on behalf of the Eagles.

503742[/snapback]

How many QBs look great on the road, against a fierce divisional foe, in a primetime game?

The point is, everyone here was crucifying him when he was here and continued when he left:

People said he couldn't play at all. The Cowboys are in 1st place, one game away from home-field advantage in the playoffs.

People said he couldn't win on the road. He beat the Chargers and the Eagles.

People said he can't win a prime-time game. He beat the Eagles.

People said he couldn't win without a probowl OL, RB, TE, and WRs. He's winning with much less than that right now.

People said he'd fade after the first half of the season. The Cowboys are still winning (with a backup RB, and WRs like Glenn, Price, and Johnson who people said were washed up).

People said he'd be sacked every other play. He's only been sacked 22 times, or 2.4/game. Guess how many sacks JPL and KH have combined? 22.

People said he couldn't beat a winning team. He's beaten the Chargers (5-4), Eagles twice (they were 3-1 the first meeting, 4-4 yesterday), and Giants (6-3). That's 4 of the 6 wins.

Now what are people saying? That he didn't win the game against Philly by himself. ;) He doesn't have to, he just has to win games!

And even worse, people are hedging their bets and saying, "Well, Bledsoe can't win the Superbowl." Well you know what? Neither has Manning! You're probably right, he probably WON'T win the Superbowl with Dallas (although I think the Cowboys have a decent chance of a least going to the Superbowl; I wouldn't be surprised to see a Dallas/Seattle NFC Championship game). Don't tell me that Dallas fans would think it's a disappointment if they "only" make it to the Champiionship game or "only" make it to the Superbowl. That's just downright silly!

CW

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many QBs look great on the road, against a fierce divisional foe, in a primetime game?

The point is, everyone here was crucifying him when he was here and continued when he left:

People said he couldn't play at all.  The Cowboys are in 1st place, one game away from home-field advantage in the playoffs.

People said he couldn't win on the road.  He beat the Chargers and the Eagles.

People said he can't win a prime-time game.  He beat the Eagles.

People said he couldn't win without a probowl OL, RB, TE, and WRs.  He's winning with much less than that right now.

People said he'd fade after the first half of the season.  The Cowboys are still winning (with a backup RB, and WRs like Glenn, Price, and Johnson who people said were washed up).

People said he'd be sacked every other play.  He's only been sacked 22 times, or 2.4/game.  Guess how many sacks JPL and KH have combined?  22.

People said he couldn't beat a winning team.  He's beaten the Chargers (5-4), Eagles twice (they were 3-1 the first meeting, 4-4 yesterday), and Giants (6-3).  That's 4 of the 6 wins.

Now what are people saying?  That he didn't win the game against Philly by himself.  ;)  He doesn't have to, he just has to win games!

And even worse, people are hedging their bets and saying, "Well, Bledsoe can't win the Superbowl."  Well you know what?  Neither has Manning!  You're probably right, he probably WON'T win the Superbowl with Dallas (although I think the Cowboys have a decent chance of a least going to the Superbowl; I wouldn't be surprised to see a Dallas/Seattle NFC Championship game).  Don't tell me that Dallas fans would think it's a disappointment if they "only" make it to the Champiionship game or "only" make it to the Superbowl.  That's just downright silly!

CW

503814[/snapback]

No point in arguing with people with an ax to grind...

No point in arguing with people with an ax to grind...

503833[/snapback]

That's just it though, I don't understand WHY they have an axe to grind. While it's true we didn't get to the playoffs, and while it's true he sucked in '03, he had a great season in '02 (going from 3-13 to 8-8 is a great season any way you slice it), and he had a good season last year except for a few games (specifically NE, Bal, and Pitt). If he was the sole reason for those losses, ok, but those games were pretty much team meltdowns, especially Pitt. Even so, we went 9-7 last year and missed the playoffs by a very slim margin.

Nobody's saying Bledsoe is a top-3 QB in the league. But he's definately in the "above average" category.

Maybe that's why people are pissed -- we were so close for two out three seasons (missing the playoffs by one game in '02 and '04) that they're mad we couldn't get over the hump. In addition, people around here seem to like to hurl venom at ANY of our players who leave, so.....

CW

Even when he had a TON of talent around him in '96, they were no match for the Packers. He has a pretty fair amt of talent around him this year, too.....so maybe he'll knock on the door again....but no way in hell will he be of any threat to win the superbowl. Just not gonna happen.

503742[/snapback]

Your fuggin' nuts! Bledsoe carried that Patriots team to that Super Bowl. The Packers were a much better rounded team...the Pats had no defense.

Sounds like somebody is backpeddling..."maybe he'll knock on the door again"?

Truth is, the Cowboys are winning with a very young defense, a buch of career underachievers at WR, and a running back by committee backfield. What Bledsoe has in Dallas, and why he is succeeding (despite your insistance that he isn't) is a solid coach, a solid O-line, and an above average tight end...it is amazing what a solid O-line unit can do for a team...

Your fuggin' nuts!  Bledsoe carried that Patriots team to that Super Bowl.  The Packers were a much better rounded team...the Pats had no defense. 

Truth is, the Cowboys are winning with a very young defense, a buch of career underachievers at WR, and a running back by committee backfield.  What Bledsoe has in Dallas, and why he is succeeding (despite your insistance that he isn't) is a solid coach, a solid O-line, and an above average tight end...it is amazing what a solid O-line unit can do for a team...

503848[/snapback]

I couldn't have said it better myself. Good coach & good lineman=good team.

Your fuggin' nuts!  Bledsoe carried that Patriots team to that Super Bowl.  The Packers were a much better rounded team...the Pats had no defense. 

Truth is, the Cowboys are winning with a very young defense, a buch of career underachievers at WR, and a running back by committee backfield.  What Bledsoe has in Dallas, and why he is succeeding (despite your insistance that he isn't) is a solid coach, a solid O-line, and an above average tight end...it is amazing what a solid O-line unit can do for a team...

503848[/snapback]

Spot on, thus the reason he had some troubles in buffalo. no coach, no line, no tight end.

That's just it though, I don't understand WHY they have an axe to grind.  While it's true we didn't get to the playoffs, and while it's true he sucked in '03, he had a great season in '02 (going from 3-13 to 8-8 is a great season any way you slice it), and he had a good season last year except for a few games (specifically NE, Bal, and Pitt).  If he was the sole reason for those losses, ok, but those games were pretty much team meltdowns, especially Pitt.  Even so, we went 9-7 last year and missed the playoffs by a very slim margin.

Nobody's saying Bledsoe is a top-3 QB in the league.  But he's definately in the "above average" category.

Maybe that's why people are pissed -- we were so close for two out three seasons (missing the playoffs by one game in '02 and '04) that they're mad we couldn't get over the hump.  In addition, people around here seem to like to hurl venom at ANY of our players who leave, so.....

CW

503847[/snapback]

He didn't just suck in 2003, he quit on the team. Big difference.

Just a couple steps above Billy Joe Hobert IMO

He didn't just suck in 2003, he quit on the team. Big difference.

Just a couple steps above Billy Joe Hobert IMO

503871[/snapback]

I disagree.

However, I don't think there's any way to tell (one way or the other) whether he quit or not.

CW

Nobody is asking you to "eat crow." I do however disagree with your assessment of the game. By the way, I did only see approx. 1/2 of it.  :lol:

I saw Drew make great use of his TE. Man, I wish the Bills had a TE like Witten.  :lol:  ;)  Also, he threw a few beautiful squareouts to the right sideline. Did you miss them? He sort of side armed them and put just enough air under the ball. I don't know how you cannot appreciate this.

Yeah, I saw the dumb interception. I was mad because I had Dallas in the TBD Football Pool. Drew has been prone to mistakes like that, but I admit to enjoying the passes he does complete that so few are capable of throwing.

I really do know that Drew is water under the Bill's bridge so to speak. Call me crazy, but imo, this is no reason to not recognize what he has done and can even still do.

We still don't know if it was the right move in cutting him. I tend to think that Drew would have got killed if he stayed here; so maybe it WAS a good idea to turn over an NFL franchise to an unproven rookie, or whatever you wish to call JP.

My hope for the Bills is that they build the team properly in the future so that we can cash in on a player like Drew instead of another team.

Jmo.

503741[/snapback]

Well, I guess the way I see it is that 1) Drew is a Cowboy and I friggin hate the Cowboys. It's also the fact that I got really pissed off when Drew basically pointed the finger at everyone but himself when he left here. To me, all you need to know about the guy is the fact that he said replacing him with Tom Brady was a mistake. If I were in his shoes, I'd refrain from saying something so idiotic and instead go out a PROVE it with my play and WIN something. I wanted him to succeed here more than anyone....I swear to God I did. But the guy NEVER seemed to take responsibility for his crap plays and game changing crap decisions, right up to and including the day he left Buffalo for Dallas.

He obviously doesnt's suck all around.....he just sucks when it counts more often than he succeeds, and I'd rather Dallas have that kind of QB than Buffalo!

It's also the fact that I got really pissed off when Drew basically pointed the finger at everyone but himself when he left here.

Aside from his comments when he was cut, I don't remember him ever being a bad team player. I seem to recall he took blame for some games, pointed his fingers at others from time to time when he felt it was their fault. Flutie always said "I did this" for good things and "we/they did this" for the bad things, but I don't recall Bledsoe doing that.

As for his parting comments, I don't blame him at all for them. He was told by the coaching staff that he would be a backup if he stayed. Not, "You'll compete with JPL for the starting job," but "JPL is starter, you're backup." Why would he accept that, when obviously (look at Dallas) he still has starting ability. If you were told to take a demotion when you clearly felt you could still do your current job, would you take it laying down? I know I wouldn't.

CW

People said he couldn't play at all.  The Cowboys are in 1st place, one game away from home-field advantage in the playoffs.

People said he couldn't win on the road.  He beat the Chargers and the Eagles.

People said he can't win a prime-time game.  He beat the Eagles.

People said he couldn't win without a probowl OL, RB, TE, and WRs.  He's winning with much less than that right now.

People said he'd fade after the first half of the season.  The Cowboys are still winning (with a backup RB, and WRs like Glenn, Price, and Johnson who people said were washed up).

People said he'd be sacked every other play.  He's only been sacked 22 times, or 2.4/game.  Guess how many sacks JPL and KH have combined?  22.

People said he couldn't beat a winning team.  He's beaten the Chargers (5-4), Eagles twice (they were 3-1 the first meeting, 4-4 yesterday), and Giants (6-3).  That's 4 of the 6 wins.

Now what are people saying?  That he didn't win the game against Philly by himself.  :lol:  He doesn't have to, he just has to win games!

And even worse, people are hedging their bets and saying, "Well, Bledsoe can't win the Superbowl."  Well you know what?  Neither has Manning!  You're probably right, he probably WON'T win the Superbowl with Dallas (although I think the Cowboys have a decent chance of a least going to the Superbowl; I wouldn't be surprised to see a Dallas/Seattle NFC Championship game).  Don't tell me that Dallas fans would think it's a disappointment if they "only" make it to the Champiionship game or "only" make it to the Superbowl.  That's just downright silly!

CW

503814[/snapback]

Both the Chargers and the Eagles have been choke artists this year.....and like I said, Bledsoe had very little to do with the win last night.....that's not just my axe speaking, either, lol. As for the talent around him, I don't understand how anyone can say he's winning with "less".....He's got a LOT of talent around him on offense, and their defense is putting up very good numbers......I didn't realize HOW good until some of those stats last night during the game.

Look, I'm not like most of the Bledsoe bashers where it really bothers me that you guys like him.....I respect the fact that you do. Hell, Favre is one of my favorite QBs of all time. But IMO, Bledsoe is an arrogant POS, lol.......and I, for one, refuse to believe that this little surge in his play is anythign more than a fluke......if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.....but there's no way in hell I'll ever root for this guy again. He crapped on my team, thus I crap on him dammit! ;)

Aside from his comments when he was cut, I don't remember him ever being a bad team player.  I seem to recall he took blame for some games, pointed his fingers at others from time to time when he felt it was their fault.  Flutie always said "I did this" for good things and "we/they did this" for the bad things, but I don't recall Bledsoe doing that.

As for his parting comments, I don't blame him at all for them.  He was told by the coaching staff that he would be a backup if he stayed.  Not, "You'll compete with JPL for the starting job," but "JPL is starter, you're backup."  Why would he accept that, when obviously (look at Dallas) he still has starting ability.  If you were told to take a demotion when you clearly felt you could still do your current job, would you take it laying down?  I know I wouldn't.

CW

503898[/snapback]

I could see your point if not for the fact that he had three years to do his job. If he'd have performed better, then he'd never have been in the position where TD, Greggo, or MM would have had to even consider JPL. I just will always view the NE example is clear evidence of Bledsoe's inability to lead a TEAM. He can put up all the stats in the world, but he's not going to ever be a part of a great team. How can you discount the success NE had, when basically (at least for the first one) all they did was replace the QB? I mean, they've become a friggin dynasty since he's been gone. Parcells or no Parcells, I just don't see how the guy can all of a sudden become some elite QB.

He can put up all the stats in the world, but he's not going to ever be a part of a great team.

503907[/snapback]

Team = 53 guys. How would the calibre of talent surrounding a single player the fault/responsibility of that player? Is Manning part of a great team? If so, should he get the credit for being the QB on that team, or should Poilian get the credit for bringing the talent in?

I appreciate that you have some axe to grind with Bledsoe, that's cool. I'm just not so sure you're doing a very good job of justifying it.

I could see your point if not for the fact that he had three years to do his job. If he'd have performed better, then he'd never have been in the position where TD, Greggo, or MM would have had to even consider JPL. I just will always view the NE example is clear evidence of Bledsoe's inability to lead a TEAM. He can put up all the stats in the world, but he's not going to ever be a part of a great team. How can you discount the success NE had, when basically (at least for the first one) all they did was replace the QB?  I mean, they've become a friggin dynasty since he's been gone. Parcells or no Parcells, I just don't see how the guy can all of a sudden become some elite QB.

503907[/snapback]

The fact that they replaced Bledsoe with one of the top 3 QBs ever to play the game has nothing to do with this. Nope. Nothing at all.

The only thing I needed to see from last night's game to tell me that it was time to move on with Drew, and why he can no longer be expected to win a SB, is his INT.  I mean, WTF was that?  And it's not like the Eagles have a great defense anymore.

503919[/snapback]

That's just it.....REGARDLESS of whether he throws for 300 yards and six TDs or whatever, he'll STILL find those key moments where he's like the friggin NY State Lotto for the opposing Defense......you whack him hard enough or bait him enough in coverage, and he'll do something so stupid and mindless that it'll totally offset the good stuff he does. I can still picture Saint Teddy and Richard Seymour celebrating after popping Bledsoe in the fourth quarter last year......that kind of stuff sticks around and festers in your head......at least in mine it does, lol. I just got tired of that crap......I don't want to see Deion, or Ed Reed, or the damn Burger King running back Bledsoe brainfarts for TDs anymore.....NO MORE DAMMIT!!!!

The fact that they replaced Bledsoe with one of the top 3 QBs ever to play the game has nothing to do with this. Nope. Nothing at all.

503917[/snapback]

You make it sound like they brought in Joe Montana or something.....Tom Brady was a late round NOBODY, bro......Bledsoe was, at the time, the established pro bowl QB.

I disagree.

However, I don't think there's any way to tell (one way or the other) whether he quit or not.

CW

503880[/snapback]

Be that as it may, but that is the conventional wisdom. ;)

And if you want to know why so many Bills fans have an axe to grind against DB, I believe that is the answer.

Longtime Bills fans are used to sub-par play from their team & sub-par play from their QBs :lol: , but one thing that blue collar, lunch-pail fans will never accept is a quitter.