Mike Williams

Thailog80

After watching Fat Mike take a rather large step towards the end of his Buffalo Bill’s plank yesterday, I strongly suggest that TD and the rest of his scouts think twice before shopping at the University of Texas again. A factory for over-hyped, mentally soft players when considering the recent alumni list of Ricky Williams, Cedric Benson, Mike Williams, and Roy Williams, a great talent, but rumor has it the coaching staff in Detroit thinks he is soft. Granted, Derrick Johnson might break this recent trend, but lets see how the money soaks into his system. Playing at Texas is like a Muslim returning to Mecca, it doesn’t get any better for a kid from the Southwest, that even the NFL is a distant second to Austin. Couple this with $100 hand shakes at every street corner and hot Texas blondes and now we can all begin to understand Big Mike’s view of the world from his porch in bumf Texas. Why go to the gym and workout when I can drink LoneStar and eat ribs, heck that workout stuff is for them Hurricanes not us Long Horns! Guaranteed the highlight of his career is beating A&M, TCU, and Baylor, and not New England. What a joke of a draft pick!

Lastly, after watching this guy’s collapse, I wish everyone in Buffalo would stop wishing for fat slob offensive lineman, the quote un-quote “road grader.” Just like any other position in professional sports, a person is assumed to be an athlete not a grizzly bear fattening up for the winter. Compare the body types of Fat Mike and the guy ahead of him on the depth chart at left guard against the likes of Walter Jones, Jonathan Ogden, and even Mr. Peters and is there any wonder why our line has nothing on the New Orleans levee system?

I would promote the defensive secondary college scouts to also include offensive lineman as well, Ralph would love the cost savings from the reduced payroll.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that you, Larry Felser ?

Felser wrote an article last spring about how he dislikes Texas players and always viewed most all of them as soft, when they showed up in the NFL. Had a long list of examples over the last 40 years.

No shot at Kelsay but I used to think the same thing about Nebraska.

Okay, fourth pick in the entire draft, enormous salary and cap burden, very weak in pass protection and of course, not being moved to left tackle. . . THEN they move the hog to LG. That should have been a red flag for anybody still holding out hope. . . then that awful performance even at LG.

Sorry, we can't deny it anymore. Mike Williams is officially an enormous bust. Awful even at LG? Please. Let's now talk about how we get rid of his cap number, not that he'll some day come around. That's wishful thinking, unrealistic at this point.

What can we do about his cap number/burden?

say goodbye Mike- you will be looking for a new employer in 06. If McNally cant help you then you are in big trouble. But then again this is the NFL and some gm will look at where he was drafted and offer him a big contract Im sure. Let him be another teams problem. now that I think about it- most of our line stinks but you cant cut them all.

Okay, fourth pick in the entire draft, enormous salary and cap burden, very weak in pass protection and of course, not being moved to left tackle. . . THEN they move the hog to RG. That should have been a red flag for anybody still holding out hope. . . then that awful performance even at RG.

Sorry, we can't deny it anymore. Mike Williams is officially an enormous bust. Awful even at RG? Please. Let's now talk about how we get rid of his cap number, not that he'll some day come around. That's wishful thinking, unrealistic at this point.

What can we do about his cap number/burden?

502546[/snapback]

You mean LG and why the question mark after: "Awful even at RG?" There was no question about how bad this guy was yesterday!

say goodbye Mike- you will be looking for a new employer in 06. If McNally cant help you then you are in big trouble. But then again this is the NFL and some gm will look at where he was drafted and offer him a big contract Im sure. Let him be another teams problem. now that I think about it- most of our line stinks but you cant cut them all.

502547[/snapback]

Yeah if Mcnally can't help. Afterall, Mcnally has done such a good job with everyone else. :rolleyes: Oh maybe not. Seems to me he is just another coach that was overhyped because he was a local boy and probably got more credit then he deserved for Munoz.

Yeah if Mcnally can't help.  Afterall, Mcnally has done such a good job with everyone else.  :rolleyes:  Oh maybe not.  Seems to me he is just another coach that was overhyped because he was a local boy and probably got more credit then he deserved for Munoz.

502551[/snapback]

McNally is a great coach. He can turn someone who sucks into someone average (our whole line, exception being Peters), someone who is average into someone who is good, someone who is good into someone who is great, and someone who is great into a star.

Take a look at the scrubs he had with the Giants before coming here.

Yeah if Mcnally can't help.  Afterall, Mcnally has done such a good job with everyone else.  :rolleyes:  Oh maybe not.  Seems to me he is just another coach that was overhyped because he was a local boy and probably got more credit then he deserved for Munoz.

502551[/snapback]

He can't help it that instead of clay someone gave him a lump of sh-- to mold...

McNally is a great coach. He can turn someone who sucks into someone average (our whole line, exception being Peters), someone who is average into someone who is good, someone who is good into someone who is great, and someone who is great into a star.

502556[/snapback]

Like Petigout? Oh yeah he was a 1st rounder and expected to be good. Of course Big Mike was a top 5 and that's working out so well also. :rolleyes:

502556[/snapback]

You mean like Zigler and Parker.

In terms of big Mike, dunno, thought he was playing well last year,really better than "well", into the range of really good. Looked good opening day, then gets his ankle rolled up on in Tampa.

I really think he has been playing hurt since then.Thought the guy did a great job agaisn't the Jets when he could hardly move.

Peters comes in cause Jerman gets hurt, and lo and behold does pretty good. Now Fat Bennie been matador, so the coaches give big Mike four whole practices at a new position, and on a new side, and say "go get em tiger".

I mean christ, this is the NFL, not the Big Ten. The guys on the other teams get paid too.

To me, really unfair to judge him based on this game, or this season. I think the Bills were saying more we made a mistake with Bennie.

Now, is he playing to his cap number, not even close. But if that can somehow be brought down to a a manageable number, wouldn't mind siing him stay

After watching Fat Mike take a rather large step towards the end of his Buffalo Bill’s plank yesterday, I strongly suggest that TD and the rest of his scouts think twice before shopping at the University of Texas again. A factory for over-hyped, mentally soft players when considering the recent alumni list of Ricky Williams, Cedric Benson, Mike Williams, and Roy Williams, a great talent, but rumor has it the coaching staff in Detroit thinks he is soft.

502523[/snapback]

Wow, I was just thinking about starting a thread about this.

Playing for the Horns can get you drafted but it doesn't seem to prepare players for the NFL.

He can't help it that instead of clay someone gave him a lump of sh-- to mold...

502559[/snapback]

Agreed. As you well know, I was skeptical of the idea that Coach McNally could do much to help this sorry lot, but he has.

In addition to his track record with the giants, he is to be credited at least in part for the drastic reduction of sacks in 04.

Coach Mac is a keeper, and I refuse to blame him for this mess up front. In fact, I think that he almost certainly has been a factor in the emergence/development of Peters.

The word is out around the league regarding Mike Williams. This was in yesterday's Boston Globe:

Mike Williams, who was the fourth player taken in the 2002 draft, continues to disappoint in Buffalo, where he was demoted last week. He'll be replaced at right tackle today by Jason Peters, who made his first start two weeks ago against New England when Williams was hurt. Peters was undrafted a year ago because he'd been a tight end in college. He had never played tackle until last November. Williams was shifted to left guard. He is making $7.3 million this year, with a cap figure of $7.8 million, and is the highest-paid player on the team. Next year he has a cap figure of $9.5 million. Williams refused to take a pay cut this past offseason, so the assumption is he will be playing elsewhere next year.
(emphasis mine)

Source: Boston Globe article

Seems to me that if you are the highest paid player on the team, you should have the talent and willingness to adapt to a shift from tackle to guard in 4 practices.

The word is out around the league regarding Mike Williams. This was in yesterday's Boston Globe:

(emphasis mine)

Source: Boston Globe article

Seems to me that if you are the highest paid player on the team, you should have the talent and willingness to adapt to a shift from tackle to guard in 4 practices.

502577[/snapback]

Then it seems that you know very little about OL play...