How bad is the Buffalo Bills O-line

NavyBillsFan

im not through the whole game yet!

Missed blocks 12

Missed blocks causing a scramble or sack 7

Mike Williams is a joke, this guy could $%^^ up a order for a black cup of coffee

Gandy and Bernie ***Go back to 7-11***

If Willis played in Pittsburgh or Denver he would be near 1600 yards this season already and that is no joke

This is the worst damn line in the history of the Bills. I dont know how these guys can look in the mirror. I guess if you make millions, who cares?!?

Missed blocks 12

Mike Williams is a joke, this guy could $%^^ up a order for a black cup of coffee

Gandy and Bernie  ***Go back to 7-11***

If Willis played in Pittsburgh or Denver he would be near 1600 yards this season already and that is no joke

This is the worst damn line in the history of the Bills.  I dont know how these guys can look in the mirror.  I guess if you make millions, who cares?!?

502225[/snapback]

Well, it isn't pretty that's for sure. The question today is, who was better at left guard?

I think the hate on Mike Williams is a joke right now....he had a terrible game...no doubt...

but not only did he move from T to G....but he moved R to L...

He struggled big time in pass protection, especially when KC stunted....you guys gotta remember....

when a team stunts, the Tackle always sees it first, and reacts....The guard needs to recognize after the DT makes the move out and switch off....its alot tougher on the guard....

its going to take Mike Williams time to get use to LG, alot of tape reveiw, on field practice and playing time....I wouldnt be surprised that MW starts again just to get yanked after a quarter or so...

True, but Gandy got schooled BIG TIME by that second-year defensive end when Losman got sacked on third down.

It was a nice move by the DE (pretending to drop back, then rushing in), but Gandy fell for it hook, line, and sinker. It was embarrassing.

I think the hate on Mike Williams is a joke right now....he had a terrible game...no doubt...

but not only did he move from T to G....but he moved R to L...

He struggled big time in pass protection, especially when KC stunted....you guys gotta remember....

when a team stunts, the Tackle always sees it first, and reacts....The guard needs to recognize after the DT makes the move out and switch off....its alot tougher on the guard....

its going to take Mike Williams time to get use to LG, alot of tape reveiw, on field practice and playing time....I wouldnt be surprised that MW starts again just to get yanked after a quarter or so...

502286[/snapback]

And he's still hurt...just because he moved from T to G because of the injury doesn't mean the injury's not affecting his play at guard.

Not that I mean to make excuses for him, though...I'm sick of this whole bunch. Ten years without a decent line.

And he's still hurt...just because he moved from T to G because of the injury doesn't mean the injury's not affecting his play at guard.

Not that I mean to make excuses for him, though...I'm sick of this whole bunch.  Ten years without a decent line.

502295[/snapback]

I agree, MW just doesn't look right (injured). Why do you think he wasn't listed on the injury report for the Bills?

True, but Gandy got schooled BIG TIME by that second-year defensive end when Losman got sacked on third down.

It was a nice move by the DE (pretending to drop back, then rushing in), but Gandy fell for it hook, line, and sinker. It was embarrassing.

502293[/snapback]

That 2nd year DE is very good. Sorry his name isnt Freeney or Taylor, you might not know who he is.

He didnt even start every game last year and has 16 sacks already in about a season and a half of playing.

I think the hate on Mike Williams is a joke right now....

Please, can anyone show me anywhere where a poster has stated "HATE"

for Mike Williams?

Posters are merely "opining" as to how badly or how great Williams has been playing.

Personally, I don't hate anyone (except perhaps Sheldon Silver). But, I must say that the highest paid player on the Bills (Mike Williams) stinks, and is no way playing up to his draft status or salary.

Let's also burn the "hurt" card already. He was not on this week's injury report, at least the one that I saw. Williams has run out of mulligans as far as I'm concerned. He's been a huge disappointment and has been given way too many chances to succeed. If the Bills didn't have so much time, energy, and $$$ invested in this guy, he's be gone by now. If the the name on the back of #68 read "NAILS", his locker would have been cleaned out a long time ago.

So, please, no more excuses for Mike. He's made his bed. His fate is in his own hands.

Barring any more injuries, Mularkey had better not do anymore shuffling and experimenting with the starters. Holcomb's injury shouls give Mularkey enough of an idea that they need to PROTECT the QB, not get him mauled.

The starters should have had time to "jell", they should have developed "chemistry" by know. They haven't for what ever reason, but they need that time playing consistantly with the same players in the same positions.

If they want to pay Williams playing Guard, well let him practice the position for a while before they actually put him in. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought this to be a conspiracy to get Losman in to play. BUT, I don't think Mularkey is that scheming. Starting with this lineup was asking for disaster, and it happened in the form of an injury.

I am happy Losman got time to play and was able to show his wares, I don't like it at the expense of an injury.

Please, can anyone show me anywhere where a poster has stated "HATE"

for Mike Williams?

Posters are merely "opining" as to how badly or how great Williams has been playing.

Personally, I don't hate anyone (except perhaps Sheldon Silver).  But, I must say that the highest paid player on the Bills (Mike Williams) stinks, and is no way playing up to his draft status or salary.

Let's also burn the "hurt" card already.  He was not on this week's injury report, at least the one that I saw.  Williams has run out of mulligans as far as I'm concerned.  He's been a huge disappointment and has been given way too many chances to succeed.  If the Bills didn't have so much time, energy, and $$$ invested in this guy, he's be gone by now.  If the the name on the back of #68 read "NAILS", his locker would have been cleaned out a long time ago.

So, please, no more excuses for Mike. He's made his bed.  His fate is in his own hands.

502417[/snapback]

Deeray i hate to break it to you but jamie nails wore 74 as a bill

Bills All Time Roster

Missed blocks 12

This is the worst damn line in the history of the Bills.  I dont know how these guys can look in the mirror.  I guess if you make millions, who cares?!?

502225[/snapback]

The type of cursery review you describe does not provide any real statistical analysis of their performace.

In doing research it is not standard to observe and make an analysis in isolation. You would have to first define what a missed block is and apply it consistantly. You would then have to do a TIVO review of other OLs to see how many missed blocks they have and then make a comparison. You also use the rushing game as your single indicator of OL success.

You would also have determine how many offensive plays there were and what percentage were missed since the number of missed blocks would be preportional to the total number of plays. You would have to deduct plays that resulted in penalties that nullified the play.

This is not to say that I do not think this line sucks, because it does.

You also use the rushing game as your single indicator of OL success.

502602[/snapback]

No, he doesn't:

502225[/snapback]

While I agree with your suggestions about how Navy could improve the analytical rigor of his study, the fact is your advice would take a ton of time to implement. In the real world you don't always have the time to do as in-depth an analysis of something as you'd like; and you have to make decisions based on partial information. Navy never claimed nor implied his post was as statistically rigorous as it possibly could be. Rather than criticising Navy for the fact his analysis could be better, we should be thanking him for the fact he took the time to do the work he did. I wouldn't have realized there were at least 12 missed blocks had it not been for his post.

I saw the replay of that play. Allen fakes like he's going to drop back a la a zone blitz. Gandy the immediately looks inside to help Bennie Anderson (wonder why?) thinking Allen is out of the picture. It was a great move by Allen, only happened once (ONCE!), and Gandy was doing the right thing by looking to help a weak link.

BTW, I just checked snap.stats.com and they didn't charge Gandy with a sack yesterday (he had 2 going into the game). Interesting.

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/player...=5515&Submit=Go

Edited by MadBuffaloDisease

Wow, the guy plays one game at Guard after always being a Tackle and away he goes. Something tells me we'll see him back at RT as someone with the athletic ability of Peters belongs on the left side anyway.

502343[/snapback]

It doesn't really matter does it? I mean after 4 years if he was successful at right guard he would still be at right guard. I think the reason Mike Williams turned out to be a LARGE bust is his lack of passion for the game. He had the size and talent just not the drive. He's a very nice guy but I don't care about that. He's killing our cap and it will be interesting to see if the Bills cut him in the off season. He's the highest payed player on the team right now at I believe 9 m and cutting him next year would cost us 5 m against. Correct me if I'm wrong

The type of cursery review you describe does not provide any real statistical analysis of their performace.

In doing research it is not standard to observe and make an analysis in isolation. You would have to first define what a missed block is and apply it consistantly. You would then have to do a TIVO review of other OLs to see how many missed blocks they have and then make a comparison. You also use the rushing game as your single indicator of OL success.

You would also have determine how many offensive plays there were and what percentage were missed since the number of missed blocks would be preportional to the total number of plays. You would have to deduct plays that resulted in penalties that nullified the play.

This is not to say that I do not think this line sucks, because it does.

502602[/snapback]

Hey man, What I posted is a ruff. I just dont have the time to get into the whole thing. I figured what I did could shed some light on some problems.

Missed blocks 12

502225[/snapback]

Huh? Don't tell me you just noticed this now? :blink:

But didn't it improve when our statue was shown the door?

I saw the replay of that play.  Allen fakes like he's going to drop back a la a zone blitz.  Gandy the immediately looks inside to help Bennie Anderson (wonder why?) thinking Allen is out of the picture.  It was a great move by Allen, only happened once (ONCE!), and Gandy was doing the right thing by looking to help a weak link.

BTW, I just checked snap.stats.com and they didn't charge Gandy with a sack yesterday (he had 2 going into the game).  Interesting.

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/player...=5515&Submit=Go

I just checked snap.stats.com and they DID charge the sack to Gandy.

It doesn't really matter does it? I mean after 4 years if he was successful at right guard he would still be at right guard. I think the reason Mike Williams turned out to be a LARGE bust is his lack of passion for the game. He had the size and talent just not the drive. He's a very nice guy but I don't care about that. He's killing our cap and it will be interesting to see if the Bills cut him in the off season. He's the highest payed player on the team right now at I believe 9 m and cutting him next year would cost us 5 m against. Correct me if I'm wrong

502954[/snapback]

If it's only 5 m against, I say do it.