question on madden 2006

Horus

just a quick ? on punt returns...every time i go to return a punt it seems the other teams are fully loaded with taskers....what do u guys do to get a actual punt return?...the guys are alwys down there waiting for me to catch the ball and it seems i fumble about 75% of the time...what am i doing wrong?..lol, i always win but would like to improve this area...thx

just a quick ? on punt returns...every time i go to return a punt it seems the other teams are fully loaded with taskers....what do u guys do to get a actual punt return?...the guys are alwys down there waiting for me to catch the ball and it seems i fumble about 75% of the time...what am i doing wrong?..lol, i always win but would like to improve this area...thx

501005[/snapback]

I have been having the same problen. I am only 5 games into my first season, but I have fumbled a punt in each game, which was returned for a TD by the defense each time...I was unable to call a "fair catch" on any of them....I had the same problem in last years version as well....

There is another new special teams glitch in this years edition as well. On one occaision, the computer punted to me (it was the Saints). Not wanting to have another fumble returned for a TD, I had Roscoe Parrish step away to let the kicking team kill the ball. I wasn't even close to the ball. The ball hits the turf, rolls around, and the Saints down it. However, instead of the ball being downed, the computer said it was a recovered fumble by the Saints!!!! :lol: Of course I could not challange that play.

ps-please take your JP quote off of your signature....it is depressing! :lol:

I fair catch the ball 75 percent of the time...usually your guys will not even attempt to block their gunners and will just run down the feild, so unless it is a low, long punt, you will not always be able to get off a return without being leveled or fumbling.

I have been having the same problen.  I am only 5 games into my first season, but I have fumbled a punt in each game, which was returned for a TD by the defense each time...I was unable to call a "fair catch" on any of them....I had the same problem in last years version as well....

There is another new special teams glitch in this years edition as well.  On one occaision, the computer punted to me (it was the Saints).  Not wanting to have another fumble returned for a TD, I had Roscoe Parrish step away to let the kicking team kill the ball.  I wasn't even close to the ball.  The ball hits the turf, rolls around, and the Saints down it.  However, instead of the ball being downed, the computer said it was a recovered fumble by the Saints!!!! :lol:   Of course I could not challange that play.

ps-please take your JP quote off of your signature....it is depressing! :lol:

501011[/snapback]

Take control of Roscoe before they punt. Don't jerk around on the controller, even though you have him highlighted the computer will run him under the punt for you. If their coverage is about to smoke you, press the triangle button and Roscoe will fair catch. I haven't muffed a punt in about 5 years.

There is a trick that works occassionally....what you do is select Punt Block as your play. Your guys will line up to block the punt, and the computer will audible to a max protect formation. Then, you audible to a regular punt return, which i believe is right trigger, but you'll have to check.

This way, the other team won't run any gunners down towards you, but you will have blockers downfield. But beware, your blockers have a tendency to not block anyone until you actually catch the ball, so even if they have a wall in front of you, often they will let the defenders walk right past them and hit you.

yup, i've had the same problem, i dunno what madden this year, but i cant return punts. the computer is always right up my azz on returns. They for some reason, made it so your guys dont block until you actually have the ball. so i end up fair catching the ball about 75% of the time.

Another option is to crank the slider for CPU kick power all the way up, so they actually punt the ball more than 35 yards. then you have a shot on a return, but they can kick figgies from anywhere.

PC or game thingy? Or does it not make a dif? I'm not savvy to how these things are put together, but I assumed they use the original programming and AI, and just add to/modify?

I have 2004 lying around somewhere, and even with that roster have gotten some nice punt returns.

Only offense I had, with Bledsoe getting sacked 28 times per game.

501005[/snapback]

I have had the same problem. I have yet to take one back for a TD but can try some of these if you havent:

- call more punt block

- sub in guys with better Run BLK and/or AWR

- bring a guy back from the D-Line to be your personal blocker

Even with all this you will still find yourself FC alot but you will get more chances of returns

FYI...try not to make too many moves right after the catch (i.e. juke/spin) it will increase your chance of fumbles.

Follow the advice of the previous poster. You have to select your punt return guy BEFORE the ball is snapped. You will have to use triangle to fair catch alot. If they are anywhere near you when you catch the ball, you will get drilled and fumble.

BTW, has anyone ever returned a punt for a TD. I took one kick back, but never a punt. I think it is impossible...

Follow the advice of the previous poster. You have to select your punt return guy BEFORE the ball is snapped. You will have to use triangle to fair catch alot. If they are anywhere near you when you catch the ball, you will get drilled and fumble.

BTW, has anyone ever returned a punt for a TD. I took one kick back, but never a punt. I think it is impossible...

501157[/snapback]

I do flight sims. I've never taken a kick back for a TD, but I have shot down several aircraft on the Russian front. I suppose that makes me an old geek.

yea mines for pc also and I have also noticed no updates yet..hmmm... :lol:

thx for the help guys..atleast now I know im not alone in this..lol..I have run back 1 kickoff so far in game 1 vs. houston

501157[/snapback]

On Madden? Yeah, I've done it lots of times.

Someone mentioned that you should line-up for a punt block so that they can't send many players downfield to cover your return guy.

Assuming you have someone fast returning, you should only have to get past the 1-2 guys they have after you downfield before you have a decent shot of taking the ball all the way back by running along the sidelines.

while we are n the subject of Madden 06 - anyone have any tips for the Superstar mode?

I get bored really easy and i just wondered if anyone has taken a Superstar anywhere decent? I dont mind all the practising and all that - but my points value goes up so slowly - it's tough to crack the starting roster...

Tips welcome!

while we are n the subject of Madden 06 - anyone have any tips for the Superstar mode?

I get bored really easy and i just wondered if anyone has taken a Superstar anywhere decent? I dont mind all the practising and all that - but my points value goes up so slowly - it's tough to crack the starting roster...

Tips welcome!

502664[/snapback]

Its easy to "cheat" your way to a great superstar rating. In practice mode, line up your offense (pass play) against a punt block or FG block defense, then just quickly lob the pass to the WR. TD every single play.

I punt block everytime. I also put my fastest player back there(as long as it isn't someone I can't do without). In Buffalos case, Roscoe does the trick. This will atleast double your punt return average and possibly get your guy out of last place in avg punt return yardage.