Announcers for Sunday

Frez

Does anyone remeber when he did some form of playoff coverage a couple of years back? He had just had his teeth done and looked like he sat in a tanning booth a few days too long. Can't get that outta my head every time I see him. What a jack-a$$.

Does anyone remeber when he did some form of playoff coverage a couple of years back?  He had just had his teeth done and looked like he sat in a tanning booth a few days too long.  Can't get that outta my head every time I see him.  What a jack-a$$.

500301[/snapback]

So he looked like a Clydesdale instead of a white mare?

Gee, I wonder if we can get Al Derogatis out of retirement?  ;)

Perspective - he was #1 on Dr Z's all-time announcers in the "analyst" category. He sure was ANAL!  :lol:

From the SI 2004 archives:  It IS a good read so click here!

500289[/snapback]

I actually thought DeRogatis and Curt Gowdy made a good pair...so much more professional than the carnival barkers they have today.

BTW, do you know that Don Criqui has been in the booth now almost 40 years?!?!?!

Criqui

Cross is the most annoying announcer. He will always bag on the Bills and harp on about how good the other team is. What did the Bills ever do to this guy anyways ?

500370[/snapback]

He made Brent Jones sound like a HoF announcer.

Gee, I wonder if we can get Al Derogatis out of retirement?  ;)

Perspective - he was #1 on Dr Z's all-time announcers in the "analyst" category. He sure was ANAL!  :lol:

From the SI 2004 archives:  It IS a good read so click here!

500289[/snapback]

Thank ya, Pile-o-Rocks...great read. I agree with almost everything he says, too...except for Howie Long. Long's a blockhead. I'd LOVE to have Jaws doing a game...he's awesome.

One of my favorite moments not mentioned by Dr Z is the interview of Lester Hayes after a Raider Super Bowl victory. Hayes suffered from a REALLY terrible stutter...REALLY bad. The announcer asked Lester a question and Les, obviously nervous as hell speaking into a michrophone, went into a convulsive indecipherable answer. It was truly painful to watch Hayes try to answer. The incredible part is, the interviewer asked him ANOTHER question. Just great s#it!

the thing that annoys me the most about randy cross, besides the undeniable fact that he's a fuggin idiot, is his accent.

"He tried to tackle eeem, but he couldn't get eeeem down"

I have never heard him make a good point in a football game, or a wise observation.

isn't that their job?

he must have naked pictures of somebody upstairs in the cbs offices.

YOU MEAN SUPER BOWL CHAMPION RANDY CROSS?!!! YAY!!!

;)

500476[/snapback]

Yeah and the snapperhead with him has to say that about 20 times throughout the game...and back to super bowl champ randy cross. How much does that guy get paid for stroking randy?

I actually thought DeRogatis and Curt Gowdy made a good pair...so much more professional than the carnival barkers they have today.

BTW, do you know that Don Criqui has been in the booth now almost 40 years?!?!?!

Criqui

500341[/snapback]

All I remember is DeRogatis butchering games back when the Bills were cellar dwellers following their AFL Championships. He must have been learning the trade at the time, if his assignment was Buffalo. ;)

All I remember is DeRogatis butchering games back when the Bills were cellar dwellers following their AFL Championships. He must have been learning the trade at the time, if his assignment was Buffalo.  ;)

500584[/snapback]

Which leads to the question: Did the AFL circa 1960-69, black-out home games, even if sold out?

As you recall, the current NFL rules only go back to 1972...meaning prior to that year any game, no matter if it was sold out months in advance, was blacked out in that team's home market...Giants, Packers, Colts, etc fans only saw their team on TV if they were on the road. Hence, Ray Scott was the "voice of the Packers" since Packer road games only went to Wisconsin and various other markets...every market but the home team in many cases.

If the Pack was playing the Bears at long-sold-out Wrigley, the entire country may have gotten the game, except people in Chicago!

It took the Redskins' success in the Lombardi year, 1969, to wake up national politicians to pressure the NFL to televise sold out games. Skins games were sold out, like now, but you had to be in the stadium to see it. Pols were pi$$ed and put the heat on Rozelle and the black out rules as exist today, were born.

Yes, even the AFL Championship game - Chiefs at Buffalo Billls - was sold out and blacked out locally. That is why I grew up listening to Van the Man on the radio.

Which leads to the question: Did the AFL circa 1960-69, black-out home games, even if sold out?

As you recall, the current NFL rules only go back to 1972...meaning prior to that year any game, no matter if it was sold out months in advance, was blacked out in that team's home market...Giants, Packers, Colts, etc fans only saw their team on TV if they were on the road.  Hence, Ray Scott was the "voice of the Packers" since Packer road games only went to Wisconsin and various other markets...every market but the home team in many cases.

If the Pack was playing the Bears at long-sold-out Wrigley, the entire country may have gotten the game, except people in Chicago!

It took the Redskins' success in the Lombardi year, 1969, to wake up national politicians to pressure the NFL to televise sold out games.  Skins games were sold out, like now, but you had to be in the stadium to see it.  Pols were pi$$ed and put the heat on Rozelle and the black out rules as exist today, were born.

500609[/snapback]