The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

30dive

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ELAINE: Andrea Doria? Isn't that the one they did the song about?

JERRY: (Correcting her) Edmund Fitzgerald.

ELIANE: I love Edmund Fitzgerald's voice.

JERRY: (Gives Elaine a look) No, Gordon Lightfoot was the singer. Edmund Fitzgerald was the ship.

GEORGE: (Talking about his would-be apartment) You could fit 15 people in that bathroom..

ELAINE: I think Gordon Lightfoot was the boat.

JERRY: (Sarcastic) Yeah, and it was rammed by the Cat Stevens.

499574[/snapback]

51 people?! That's no tragedy! How many people do you lose on a normal cruse? 30? 40?! :wacko::lol::lol:

Uh, nobody here mentioned Harry Chapin. Although "Cats in the Cradle" WAS mentioned.

I think Harry's the one who died of a massive heart attack while driving his car on the Jersey Turnpike, and got hit by a semi. Autopsy showed the heart attack, not the crash, killed him. Only thirty-eight years old.

Mike

Uh, nobody here mentioned Harry Chapin.  Although "Cats in the Cradle" WAS mentioned.

I think Harry's the one who died of a massive heart attack while driving his car on the Jersey Turnpike, and got hit by a semi.  Autopsy showed the heart attack, not the crash, killed him.  Only thirty-eight years old.

Mike

500160[/snapback]

You are partially right and partially wrong. Gordon Lightfoot was the singer. Chapin sang Lean on me. It wasn't the one from the movie, but the one that was re-made in a disco like manner years later. Chapin was also the guy that died in the car accident. Too young.

His full name was Harry Chapin-Carpenter. His sister in law Karen starved herself to death after the crash. There had been rumors of an affair.

That poor family has certainly been through a lot.

You are partially right and partially wrong.  Gordon Lightfoot was the singer.  Chapin sang Lean on me.  It wasn't the one from the movie, but the one that was re-made in a disco like manner years later.  Chapin was also the guy that died in the car accident.  Too young.

His full name was Harry Chapin-Carpenter.  His sister in law Karen starved herself to death after the crash.  There had been rumors of an affair. 

That poor family has certainly been through a lot.

500167[/snapback]

I thought Bill Withers sang Lean On Me. Man there is so much musical misinformation in this thread

I thought Bill Withers sang Lean On Me.  Man there is so much musical misinformation in this thread

500168[/snapback]

Maybe he did. One day in the shower! The version you hear on the radio is by Harry Chapin Carpenter.

Bill Withers wasn't even a singer. He was the drummer for Dire Straights on their first few albums.

What the hell does Ella Fitzgerald have to do with all of this?   ;)

500205[/snapback]

All joking from the monkey aside, she was Edmund's wife.

It is a little known fact that in addition to the song about Fitzgerald's private yacht, Lightfoot had another song involving his buddy Fitzgerald.

Now I don't want to turn this into a political argument, but I have to lay out all of the facts. I hope no one gets offended. Before the Fitzgeralds were married, Ella was a little loose. Both Edmund and Lightfoot had slept with her. Her maiden name was Reese. You may remember her from Chico and the Man. She was terrific in that. There was a bit of a comptetition.

After Fitzgerald won out, in anger Lighfoot wrote and produced the song "Piece Train" which is what he had unflatteringly called Ella behind her back. It was clearly mysonginistic and probably exposed some of his underlying feelings about women in general. The conversion by Lightfoot to Islam, a religion not exactly known for women's rights, came a few years later.

All joking from the monkey aside, she was Edmund's wife. 

It is a little known fact that in addition to the song about Fitzgerald's private yacht, Lightfoot had another song involving his buddy Fitzgerald.

Now I don't want to turn this into a political argument, but I have to lay out all of the facts.  I hope no one gets offended.  Before the Fitzgeralds were married, Ella was a little loose.  Both Edmund and Lightfoot had slept with her.  There was a bit of a comptetition. 

After Fitzgerald won out, in anger Lighfoot wrote and produced the song "Piece Train" which is what he had unflatteringly called Ella behind her back.  It was clearly mysonginistic and probably exposed some of his underlying feelings about women in general.  The conversion by Lightfoot to Islam, a religion not exactly known for women's rights, came a few years later.

500329[/snapback]

;)